If you could see any music act in 1978 live which would you pick?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
The height of a lot of good bands.

Did anyone see P-Funk in 1978? This video is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JbUP-skb7E

Comments

• I saw that tour. School trip, one of the teachers bought 4 tickets and took us in his car on a 400 mile round trip and dropped us all off at home afterwards, on a schoolday. He booked it out as a field trip. Incredible concert, incredible teacher! Used to accost the school minibus and take everyone to gigs all over the place, but that was the most epic.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm sure I saw many in '78. But I was very broke in '78 so no arena bands.
    Never went to a p-funk show. They played DC a lot in the early 70s but I was too hippied out to be knowing.
    Saw James Brown 3 times in the 80s and Maceo and Fred in the 90s. Bout as close to p-funk as I ever got.

• soulcitizen said:
    I saw that tour. School trip, one of the teachers bought 4 tickets and took us in his car on a 400 mile round trip and dropped us all off at home afterwards, on a schoolday. He booked it out as a field trip. Incredible concert, incredible teacher! Used to accost the school minibus and take everyone to gigs all over the place, but that was the most epic.

Gotta love the old days. What grade were you in? Where does that show rank all time for you?

• LaserWolf said:
    Never went to a p-funk show. They played DC a lot in the early 70s but I was too hippied out to be knowing.
    Saw James Brown 3 times in the 80s and Maceo and Fred in the 90s. Bout as close to p-funk as I ever got.

so no Dead shows in 1978? A lot of good shows that year.

• downtownrobbrown said:
    soulcitizen said:
    I saw that tour. School trip, one of the teachers bought 4 tickets and took us in his car on a 400 mile round trip and dropped us all off at home afterwards, on a schoolday. He booked it out as a field trip. Incredible concert, incredible teacher! Used to accost the school minibus and take everyone to gigs all over the place, but that was the most epic.

Gotta love the old days. What grade were you in? Where does that show rank all time for you?

I'm in th uk so would have been 4th year of secondary, not sure what grade that was but I was 15. Definitely top 5, nobody beat Sun Ra for me.

Just remembered I found these in a box recently

downtownrobbrown said:
    LaserWolf said:

Saw the Dead in '73 or so. My only bad acid trip.
    Saw them again in the early 90s. Had back stage pass and had lots of fun. The hippie family, mom, dad, Sunshine, Cedar and the dog, all barefoot, sitting under the condiment table by the stadium hot dog concession. The guy squatting in parking lot cooking canned ravioli in an aluminum pan over a camp stove with a sign '$1.00 a bowl'. The crowd going nuts when the band finally came together to play a turn-around in unison. But mostly we sat in the cafeteria back stage talking with a guy who did security for Phil Graham for decades. Funny thing about backstage at a Dead show, there are hundreds of people backstage, Hells Angels, and Merry Pranksters and equipment folks, and groupies, friends of friends, and record store owners. The only people who are no where near backstage are the band.

I think the Dead could have been a good band if someone had played a back beat.

• LaserWolf said:
    downtownrobbrown said:
    LaserWolf said:

Saw the Dead in '73 or so. My only bad acid trip.
    Saw them again in the early 90s. Had back stage pass and had lots of fun. The hippie family, mom, dad, Sunshine, Cedar and the dog, all barefoot, sitting under the condiment table by the stadium hot dog concession. The guy squatting in parking lot cooking canned ravioli in an aluminum pan over a camp stove with a sign '$1.00 a bowl'. The crowd going nuts when the band finally came together to play a turn-around in unison. But mostly we sat in the cafeteria back stage talking with a guy who did security for Phil Graham for decades. Funny thing about backstage at a Dead show, there are hundreds of people backstage, Hells Angels, and Merry Pranksters and equipment folks, and groupies, friends of friends, and record store owners. The only people who are no where near backstage are the band.

I think the Dead could have been a good band if someone had played a back beat.

Are you putting the Rhythm Devils on blast? lol

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Queen
    David Bowie
    Ramones
    Weather Report
    Van Halen
    were all at great points in their careers and probably would have been pretty great to see in 1978.
    Disco was pretty much ruling everything else.
    Hard to pick one.

• DEVO

• whatwhat said:
    DEVO

mrmatthew said:
    Ramones

Saw both of them in '78.

First two real rock shows I saw.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rick james

• Pere Ubu
    Buzzcocks
    Sonic's Rendezvous Band
    The Fall
    Von Lmo

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    No question, Earth, Wind & Fire!!!!!! 1978 All ???N??? All tour.

Amazing......

Verdine's bass solo at 11:20 is NEXT LEVEL

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Chic.
    Motorhead.
    Queen.
    Lizzy.
    I think Prince might have been opening for Rick James around that time.
    From the footage I've seen, EWF probably put on the most epic shows, in terms of spaceships and shit, closely followed by P-Funk.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Mid-teens back then, I did see in 78 and 79 Lizzy, Mot??rhead, Buzzcocks and Ramones

Alas the one I was too late for was the Pistols, a source of regret for ever more.

skel said:
    Mid-teens back then, I did see in 78 and 79 Lizzy, Mot??rhead, Buzzcocks and Ramones

Alas the one I was too late for was the Pistols, a source of regret for ever more.

#WellJell. Und props to digging out the proper "??".

I don't personally pine for missing out on Punk, I was a wee nipper and it was lost on me. I have of course given it a go in later life and understand it's cultural significance (I mean, someone had to see off The Bay City Rollers) but it's not a lane I frequent.

The metal came from being handed cassettes from the older kids in school that had denim and leather jackets that smelt funny. You can read that how you want, it's all correct.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Tons, really...Blockheads, EWF, Chic, Stranglers, Clash, Steve Miller, Funkadelic, Little Feat, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, AC/DC etc etc

Definitely not Showaddywaddy, my one actual live music experience of 1978.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Teddy Pendergrass
    Joy Division
    The Clash
    Dennis Brown
    Gregory Isaacs

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The only acts I can think of that were active back then but aren't now, and that I regret never seeing, are Led Zeppelin, Chic and Earth Wind & Fire.

Of all the acts mentioned above, I won't lord it over anyone by naming how many I've seen multiple times (I was even once in a band that opened for one of them in '79), but I will say that's probably one of the few benefits of being old as fuck.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    the Black Rio scene would've been in full swing in 1978. Would've been a great time to see:

Tim Maia
    Banda Black Rio
    Gerson King Combo

and Mot??rhead, of course.

DocMcCoy said:

Of all the acts mentioned above, I won't lord it over anyone by naming how many I've seen multiple times

How's man gonna do me like that?
    B/w c'mon son, floss!

[(I was even once in a band that opened for one of them.

Ditto -

DocMcCoy said:
    I was even once in a band that opened for one of them.

I am guessing The Fall for Doc, and The Blockheads for S*eve?

I did throw Mark E Smith out of a club.

(Kelub-ah.)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Of all the acts mentioned above, I won't lord it over anyone by naming how many I've seen multiple times

How's man gonna do me like that?
    B/w c'mon son, floss!

[(I was even once in a band that opened for one of them.

Ditto -

Showaddawaddy?

Mot??rhead.

But they hadn't turned up by the time our set was done; and neither did more than a hundred punters

An invaluable lesson in expectation management

Wmic

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Best show I saw in '78 was Be Bop Deluxe and BOC

Thin Lizzy/BOC was a close second but the Dictators cancelled as the opening act

Worst show of '78 Rolling Stones/Peter Tosh/Foreigner JFK Stadium

• Bob Marley. To me, one of the few greats who hadn't been watered down come 78. Would love to have been there. Also: P-funk, Dead, Floyd, Little Feat, Ramones

Edit: The B52s!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Saucy Tweenbal said:
    Bob Marley. To me, one of the few greats who hadn't been watered down come 78.

I hear a big difference in production/slickness/feel between '73 Burnin' and '78 Kaya.

• Naturally, but the live stuff I've heard and watched I remember being top notch. Of course it wouldnt be the same as the original Wailers lineup. But 78, I would say he was 'goin strong', especially considering it was not long after exodus was released. So next to say 74, 75...78's looking pretty tits

Concert wise that is

Saucy Tweenbal is Gator?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    P-Funk
    Van Halen
    The Clash
    AC/DC
    The Cramps
    The Police
    The Jam

Prince didn't really start touring until 1981, and EW&F was a little slick by then for my taste. I much prefer them "Gratitude" era, just listened to that record this morning.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Springsteen, '78 was his "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" tour which everyone raves about. Too bad I can't stand Springsteen.