Holiday Vegetarian Recipes

Comments

• when i first started dating my girlfriend, she was a vegan. i've since compromised her enough to eat eggs and fish, but in the beginning i had to learn how to cook all over again. i was actually astonished at the fact that i didn't cook a single thing that didn't include dairy in some way. thankfully gluten is and always has been on the table..... i couldn't imagine a life of celiac.... i mean.... no soy sauce?

THIS website: http://www.theppk.com/ (despite the pretty brutal name) was neverending in it's help for ideas and execution.

i've found an ipad to be endlessly helpful with cooking meals. it's pretty handy to have on the counter as a quick reference guide and if you write what you need from the market/grocery in the notes section it automatically syncs to your phone.

i've done this recipe a few times and it's always ended quite well:
    Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwiches

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    when i first started dating my girlfriend, she was a vegan. i've since compromised her enough to eat eggs and fish

how come?

• bassie said:
    vintageinfants said:
    when i first started dating my girlfriend, she was a vegan. i've since compromised her enough to eat eggs and fish

how come?

i make myself to be the villain, but in all honesty the decision was completely hers. health reasons i suspect.

Yea, to cove's point above about protein deficiency being overblown in terms of a vegetarian/vegan diet, I think lack of B12 might be a bigger issue...with fish/seafood being some of the the best sources, along with eggs and dairy.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:

the fake meat game is some absolute bush league shit.

I always assumed you served it to people as a passive-aggressive way of telling them you hate them.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rape_donkeys said:

I always assumed you served it to people as a passive-aggressive way of telling them you hate them.

A dude I knew in high school who was really, really obese back then posted that he had gotten this for his vegetarian girlfriend this Thanksgiving. I couldn't help but think that if that's your idea of vegetarian, no wonder you were so damn big.

lmho - So there were soy protein meatballs on the table on Saturday and it only came out later that they weren't real meat. A couple of people were real surprised...which kicked off the question of whether you should tell people they aren't eating real meat, same way you would identify to a mixed diet crowd what has meat in it and what doesn't.
    I mean there are people with soy allergies, but I guess most of are us used to being informed about allergies when unknown dishes made by new people are on the table.

As a meat-eater, would you want to know?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    rape_donkeys said:

A dude I knew in high school who was really, really obese back then posted that he had gotten this for his vegetarian girlfriend this Thanksgiving. I couldn't help but think that if that's your idea of vegetarian, no wonder you were so damn big.

TOFURKY JURKY WISHSTICKS

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rape_donkeys said:

Largely agree, but I give a pass to those Chinese restaurants that take mock meat to another level (e.g., buddha's, jean's, cafe 668 in t.o.) and to certain specific veggie burger patties (but definitely not others)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:

As a meat-eater, would you want to know?

Yes.

When you come over, I won't dress up a pork chop as a kale salad and not tell you. And when I come over, please don't dress up soy product as a meatball and not tell me. Thank you.

• ketan said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    rape_donkeys said:

Largely agree, but I give a pass to those Chinese restaurants that take mock meat to another level (e.g., buddha's, jean's, cafe 668 in t.o.) and to certain specific veggie burger patties (but definitely not others)

i had the duck at this spot called Bo De Duyen [toronto heads might know] for about two years before someone finally copped to it and told me it was completely vegan tofu trickery. was hardly mad, but they still had to hear a "vegan agenda" diatribe for their transgressions.

while i embrace my personal carnivore lifestyle, i always encourage people to do whatever they want.

Yea, I would want to know, too.

Coming at it from the other side, I can tell off flavour more than the texture. I am fine with chicken stock, but not pork and beef stocks and surprise bits of pork in anything is just so fucking disgusting. Anyway.

I am surprised that meat-eaters can't always tell either way...I guess this says a lot of about the spectrum of meat flavour, quality, texture, etc.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I was able to sneak this one past my entire family on thanksgiving and no one blinked an eye:

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/piesandcobblers/r/Recipe_VeganOreoCreamPie.htm

but people seem to be a lot more forgiving on the sweet rather than the savory when it comes to dairy substitutes.

DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    rape_donkeys said:

TOFURKY JURKY WISHSTICKS

"Wishstixs," in fact, which is an abomination against both cuisine and language.

bassie said:

Coming at it from the other side, I can tell off flavour more than the texture.

It's usually that for me, too. Whenever I hear "It tastes just like [fill in the blank]!" about fake meat, my reaction is twofold:

1) No, it doesn't.

2) If I want something that tastes like [fill in the blank], I will eat [fill in the blank].

As ugly and horror-show as meat can be - like seeing cow tongue in the middle of the table for the first time as a child, not to mention lamb's head soup - tofurky is like, "Hi, here's a dish sponge with scrambled egg throw-up surprise in the middle! Enjoy!"
    Like a Tofurky Day card is going to distract from this atrocity.

• bassie said:
    Yea, I would want to know, too.

Coming at it from the other side, I can tell off flavour more than the texture. I am fine with chicken stock, but not pork and beef stocks and surprise bits of pork in anything is just so fucking disgusting. Anyway.

I am surprised that meat-eaters can't always tell either way...I guess this says a lot of about the spectrum of meat flavour, quality, texture, etc.

Different people have different taste (sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami 'glutamate'). The flavor is actually quite abstract. Furthermore, two consumers might describe a product in the same way, however; their concept of the term used might be out of alignment. I am sure you are familiar with concept alignment in musical genre; another arbitrary catagorization process. For example, whether or not to file Big Band with jazz is a question of. "Does big band align with my/your concept of jazz?" Depending on the answer, some listeners, in public archives, are asked to be flexible.

Anyway, my concern with fake meats is their price and fat content. I shop at an inexpensive grocery where the meat is usually much cheaper than the veggie alternative. In addition, they have fresh meat because their turnover is good (often sold out of the $1.99/lb chicken breast) due to the large number of people who shop there.

Lastly, one day I walked into a Whole Foods, after shopping at my usual grocery, and the "Driscols" berries where a dollar more.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    billbradley said:
    A good veggie lasagna might be a good option for you. It makes a lot of food and is filling.

That sounds good.....FILLING is the word. Im gonna be drinking all night and some cutesy bowl of green soup aint doin it.

I just made an eggplant parmigiana a couple of nights ago. I could just do it at her house.

But id have find out if the dairy is an issue. Too much cheese for me is a killer

I deep fried the eggplant in canola oil for my recipe. I could just use a heavy olive oil.

I could still include a layer of greens (along w/ basil...maybe) within the parm for tomato/green color contrast.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    batmon said:
    billbradley said:
    A good veggie lasagna might be a good option for you. It makes a lot of food and is filling.

That sounds good.....FILLING is the word. Im gonna be drinking all night and some cutesy bowl of green soup aint doin it.

I just made an eggplant parmigiana a couple of nights ago. I could just do it at her house.

But id have find out if the dairy is an issue. Too much cheese for me is a killer

I deep fried the eggplant in canola oil for my recipe. I could just use a heavy olive oil.

I could still include a layer of greens (along w/ basil...maybe) within the parm for tomato/green color contrast.

Here is a recipe that lists Soy Cheese as an option for Vegans
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegetable-lasagna/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:
    billbradley said:

Yes. You need to find out. Dairy? Seafood? Chicken? Eggs? Bacon? (growing up in my home bacon was considered kosher.)

For people talking about veggie cookbooks. Molly Katzens books are very good. Some have chapters telling you how to play with the recipes, substitutions, what happens when you add more x or subtract y, etc.

Internet is great for recipes. You can plug in the main ingredients you have on hand, or want to use, and get lots of recipe ideas. Put in veggie lasagna and read half a dozen recipes. Like the idea of having eggplant or portabella in it? Add that to the search.

so, hold on - chili is for kids and meat substitutes are too 80s, but you're going to go with lasagna and deep fried eggplant?
    I am totally lost on the goals of this meal.
    Anyway - post pics of the final feast

bassie said:
    so, hold on - chili is for kids and meat substitutes are too 80s, but you're going to go with lasagna and deep fried eggplant?

Whats your issue with lasagna?
    is sauted eggplant not V enuff?

i dont know what shell suggest, but in my vision the main dish should be hearty.
    a couple of squares of well layed lasagna is more heartier than a bowl of chili....Imo.

batmon said:
    bassie said:

i dont know what shell suggest, but in my vision the main dish should be hearty.
    a couple of squares of well layed lasagna is more heartier than a bowl of chili....Imo.

I don't have an issue with either, but chili and lasagna are in the same category to me - traditional, comfort food and safe bets.
    I guess it depends on how you do - I've had some flimsy-ass lasagna in my life and my chili dense enough to put you to sleep for two hours...in a good way....

Sauteed and deep fried are not the same thing and not really a vegetarian issue unless you'e using suet or duck fat or some shit, but deep frying it (instead of baking or roasting) seems mad 80s/yesteryear's too-heavy, begging for heart surgery imo.

I am sure you will do right no matter.

I meant it about the pictures, too!

Sauted eggplant is yummy, but those eggplants can soak up a LOT of oil.
    Eggplants are out of season.
    If you want to cook in season you need to think about things like squash and root vegetables.
    When planning a meal fresh and local is a good place to start.

bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

I don't have an issue with either, but chili and lasagna are in the same category to me - traditional, comfort food and safe bets.
    I guess it depends on how you do - I've had some flimsy-ass lasagna in my life and my chili dense enough to put you to sleep for two hours...in a good way....

Sauteed and deep fried are not the same thing and not really a vegetarian issue unless you'e using suet or duck fat or some shit, but deep frying it (instead of baking or roasting) seems mad 80s/yesteryear's too-heavy, begging for heart surgery imo.

I am sure you will do right no matter.

I meant it about the pictures, too!

in my earlier post i said i wouldnt deep fry in my deep fryer. i can get the same results in a skillet...if she has one.
    i also stated that i wouldnt use any meat fats. i can brown in olive oil.
    and lasagna is not parm. no noodles.....just sauce,eggplant,basil, cheese...and maybe another green.

chili doesnt have the wow factor IMO....in terms of presentation.....matter how good or rich it tastes.

ill throw the chili idea to her and see what she says though.

• Waaaay too many damn rules to this stuff. B.Y.O.Dinner.

b/w

WWJ&BD;?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    sanctimonious guy eats veggie sausage in a tube.

ribollita is a tuscan soup with beans, savoy cabbage, kale (deal with it), and a little tomato. you get lots of aromatics going and stew the vegetables all the way down in their own juices, with the cooking liquid from the beans / water or vegetable stock, and rinds from reggiano cheese. at the end you toss in big chunks of bread toasted in olive oil, then serve it with some spicy green legit cold-press oil on top. hearty, rustic, old world food. vegetarian because it's supposed to be that way, and totally delicious.

Wow, I love it how fake meat is the new meat. Its just soybean and it's not that big of a deal. You would be the sanctimonious one acting like your better for not eating fake meat. I was just trying to make vegetarian holiday suggestions like Batmon originally asked for but appearance didn't want at all since he's considering fish head stew with lasagna. Apparently holiday just meant red and green food.

And if we can get past all that....... the soup you are suggesting is quite good. my mom used to make it and the first time I was like "bread stew?" but it's good stuff.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    billbradley said:

Yes. You need to find out. Dairy? Seafood? Chicken? Eggs? Bacon? (growing up in my home bacon was considered kosher.)

For people talking about veggie cookbooks. Molly Katzens books are very good. Some have chapters telling you how to play with the recipes, substitutions, what happens when you add more x or subtract y, etc.

Internet is great for recipes. You can plug in the main ingredients you have on hand, or want to use, and get lots of recipe ideas. Put in veggie lasagna and read half a dozen recipes. Like the idea of having eggplant or portabella in it? Add that to the search.

Molly's recipes are a bit bland, but they are a good start for a beginner at veggie food. I think your internet idea is the best suggestion. There are so many recipes and sometimes your best off looking a 3 and combining them in a way that suites your tastes. Like Batmon is saying it could help you deal with needing to cook in a different way because of your location and supplies.

she eats fish and im making a seafood gumbo that she approved for she and her friends.

im creating the stock from fish heads and then a roux, and then seafood and veggies. clams, some white fleshed fish and shrimp.

Veggies i dont know yet besides the usual gumbo veggies but i could still add......cough...kale.

maybe some brown rice instead of white......

thanx for yalls help. ill take photos.

There are other greens beside Kale. Check you fresh market, they should have lots of different greens this time of year.