Lupe Tomato

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
Fucking chump.

EDIT: Let me add that I do not generally endorse the throwing of tomatoes or any other missile at performers...

"...but I understand."

Comments

• "I have not eaten this tomato in its entirety, nor do I plan to."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The mean streets of Utah keeping it real.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Apart from "Room to Breathe" by Downtown Science, this dude's "Kick Push" was the only rap-r record I ever willingly owned.

So how dare you dudes pour disdain upon dude.
    How very dare you.

• I can't stand Lupe and I've never called a woman a b-word in my life (okay well, I did tell an ex she was acting like one once during a heated argument 'cause, well, she was...but so was I), but still...if you throw a tomato at an artist whose concert you willingly went to, you deserve every and any name said artist calls you.

• Herm said:
    I can't stand Lupe and I've never called a woman a b-word in my life (okay well, I did tell an ex she was acting like one once during a heated argument 'cause, well, she was...but so was I), but still...if you throw a tomato at an artist whose concert you willingly went to, you deserve every and any name said artist calls you.

Any name? Really?

I'm wondering how one gets a tomato into a rap show? I guess it's not hard. I haven't tried. And damn, I'm old and don't get out much, but that show looks boring.

• Is that too harsh of a name to call someone who throws something at you while you're performing? I've heard worse. What if it was a male he called that?

I've been trying hard to curb my cursing in my day-to-day life, but a few times I've had people - drunk usually - rudely encroach my personal space in the middle of set and my automatic response is "what the fuck...back the fuck up!" no matter who it is. VERY unlike me. If they threw something at me I can almost guarantee it'd be much worse than that. Nothing racist of course 'cause those words aren't in my vocabulary, but still, I'd probably say something as mean as possible in the heat of the moment.
    (Would it have been "okay" if he left out white? Granted, I'm sure 98% of his crowd is white so he probably could've.)

Anyways, it trips me out that we're debating and/or bothered by the use of the b-word at a rap show. Probably it's because we, for the most part, don't like this particular rapper.

• Jesus...why am I even wasting my time on this?! It affects me in no way whatsoever.

Carry on, holmeses...

• I don't care about him saying the b word. I'm just saying tomato doesn't give you a complete free pass. This was whatevers, but saying you deserve anything the artist calls you is too generous. I'm assuming that's not what you meant, you just meant this seemed appropriate for a tomato throwing. I'm not at all offended by it.

Haha. Damn you Lupe!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Did the lady just swing by the concert on the way back from the market or was this premeditated? That's all I want to know.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

I'm wondering how one gets a tomato into a rap show? I guess it's not hard. I haven't tried. And damn, I'm old and don't get out much, but that show looks boring.

They frisk you for crotched glocks and knives strapped to the shins ("rap show...you know."), but a fruit - yes, it is- to be used as an antiquated form of disrespect gets by. What is this world coming to?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Eh. "Fat white bitch" is pretty tame when someone just threw something at you. That said, Lupe's whole persona is summed up nicely by his last name.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Doesn't Salt Lake City mean Fat White Bitch in Mormon?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Eh. "Fat white bitch" is pretty tame when someone just threw something at you. That said, Lupe's whole persona is summed up nicely by his last name.

Saying it once at the time of the incident = just about understandable under the circumstances.

Saying it repeatedly in a broader public forum, after people point out that it doesn't exactly chime with your "conscious" posturing = fucking chump.

DocMcCoy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Saying it once at the time of the incident = just about understandable under the circumstances.

Saying it repeatedly in a broader public forum, after people point out that it doesn't exactly chime with your "conscious" posturing = fucking chump.

^^^So sensitive.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Fair enough. I considered him a posturing chump to begin with, so I didn't consider that any sort of tipping point in my evaluation of him.

I'm sure Lupe is pulling his hair out over not meeting Doc's expectations.

• DocMcCoy said:
    fucking chump.

• fat? fat? she said, "bow! I way 120 pounds!"

Lupe deserves to get hit by a (farm to table, organically grown, gmo-free) tomato.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I couldn't give two shits about Lupe Fiasco, but I will say that there are two important ways--ways, it is worth noting, that white enthusiasts of black culture (What it do, soulstrut!) often seem particularly tone-deaf to--in which saying "b***h" is a lot like saying "n****r":

First: There really is no opposing equivalent. Nothing equivalent that a woman can call a man, nothing equivalent that a black person can call a white person. People who act otherwise--"B-b-b-but (she/they) called me a (bastard/cracker)!"--are not thinking.

Second, and more to the point: There are people who will say that shit when things get heated, and there are people who will not. People who can rationalize it to themselves and people who cannot. Saying it doesn't necessarily make someone a bad person, and refusing to say it doesn't necessarily make someone a good person, but doing either definitely says something fundamental about the kind of person someone is.

Lupe deserves whatever he gets over this shit.

We could ice a cake big enough for a fat white bitch to jump out of with y'all's frivolous moral outrage here.

• I don't give a shit what Lupe calls anyone.

He deserves to get hit with a tomato for being (can I say this one, Brits?) a bellend.

I don't really keep up with Lupe at all. But the little I do know about him: Yeah, let's condemn the guy who correctly (and yes, figuratively) spit in Obama's face during Obama's 2nd inauguration just because he doesn't admit to liking A Tribe Called Quest. Surely, he's rubbed you the wrong way over other things, but this negative internet pr push is just the same fucking treatment any anti-establishment artist gets from the mainstream...and y'all are falling for it hook, line, and sinker. Seriously, why is this "story" even news?

• haha... and you are falling for Lupe's (very) faux anti-establishment posture.

Just cause he wear a kufi, don't mean that he bright. (doth I quote)

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    haha... and you are falling for Lupe's (very) faux anti-establishment posture.

Just cause he wear a kufi, don't mean that he bright. (doth I quote)

If Lupe's as famous as he is and has said the following in public just once, even if he didn't even mean it, he can call foul tomato tossers any horrible word he wants to forever in my book.

"In another interview in June 2011 on the CBS program What's Trending, Fiasco discussed the political content of his music, stating, "My fight against terrorism, to me, the biggest terrorist is Obama and the United States of America. I'm trying to fight the terrorism that's actually causing the other forms of terrorism. You know, the root cause of terrorism is the stuff the U.S. government allows to happen. The foreign policies that we have in place in different countries that inspire people to become terrorists."

Again not that anyone needs to be his fan, but I feel that y'all are really missing the boat here.

Once an artist is proclaimed as "conscious", the standard that artist gets held to becomes ridiculous. You don't expect a gangsta rapper to have killed all of those cops he raps about in his songs or a player rapper to have actually have slept with more women than Wilt Chamberlain, but you do seemingly expect conscious rapper to never ever utter a politically incorrect word no matter the situation. Shit is just dumb to me.

Let the dude live already. Maybe he has set himself up to be held to a higher ideal. But he's still human and to my knowledge hasn't done anything near as wrong as other deplorable public figures that y'all seem to have little problem standing behind. Namely, Obama's punk ass.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't give a shit what Lupe calls anyone.

He deserves to get hit with a tomato for being (can I say this one, Brits?) a bellend.

YES.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    haha... and you are falling for Lupe's (very) faux anti-establishment posture.

This.

Something about him always struck me as phony & insincere. I've said before that he's an opportunistic cornball and I stand by that.

b/w

I'm all for the tomato renaissance.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    bellend.
    I may have told this story before, but back when I was in college and standing in a record store waffling over whether to buy Al Green's Call Me or some other old bullshit, the expatriate Brit behind the counter started pushing the Al hard, heavy on the wink-wink-nudge-nudge: "Goes down well with the ladies, that one. You've heard of The Belle Album? Well this is the bellend album, if you get me. Trust me mate, you won't be sorry."

While I might today quibble that any such album that ends with "Jesus Is Waiting" is perhaps best suited for the programmable cd player, in the larger sense I cannot say that dude was wrong.