Funk/Soul songs with sounds of partying people

2»

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

• I love this song.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I like a funk track with the "guys bullshitting with each other in the studio" thing.

It seems like you can't go wrong with any 45 with "party" in the title

If there was a 60's garage rock equivalent, it would be the piped-in screaming fans on "live" LPs. Always funny.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    is willie henderson "the master" a greatest hits package or an album in its own right?

There is nothing on the cover indicating that it is a greatest hits. Does anyone have any of these songs on a different LP of his?

Break Your Back
    Soulful Football
    OO Wee Baby, I Love You
    Can I Change My Mind
    Funky Chicken
    Windjammer

Loose Booty
    Sugar Sugar
    Off Into A Black Thing
    Is It Something You've Got
    Funky Chicken
    Harlem

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I like a funk track with the "guys bullshitting with each other in the studio" thing.

If there was a 60's garage rock equivalent, it would be the piped-in screaming fans on "live" LPs. Always funny.

Numerous James Brown and JBs tracks fit this bill.
    Say it Loud I'm Black and I'm Proud for one.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

• Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    is willie henderson "the master" a greatest hits package or an album in its own right?

There is nothing on the cover indicating that it is a greatest hits. Does anyone have any of these songs on a different LP of his?

Break Your Back
    Soulful Football
    OO Wee Baby, I Love You
    Can I Change My Mind
    Funky Chicken
    Windjammer

Loose Booty
    Sugar Sugar
    Off Into A Black Thing
    Is It Something You've Got
    Funky Chicken
    Harlem

• rayray 77 Posts
    Little Beaver - Party Down

• DRock said:
    Want to put together a set list of classic (late sixties-mid seventies) funk and soul with partying going on. What would be the essential or even some hidden gems here? Any opinions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Off the top o the head . . .

Highlighters - Funky 16 Corners
    Bar Kays - Soul Finger
    Impression - We're a Winner

Wow.. I was just discussing the same thing to a friend last week. A few I was going to use - Jam Party, Brooklyn Express, Maximus Party, Special Touch...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    What of that one you told me about, where the record had the partying sound all the way through, and the singer tried to do his own take on these effects, when they did it live. Years later. And it was massively embarrassing for all to see.

"Double Shot of My Baby Gravy", or somesuch.
    Oh man, the Swingin' Medallions, "Double Shot Of My Baby's Love."

That's a whiter shade of pale, right there, though. Shit makes "She's About A Mover" look like X Clan. I'm not sure the 'strut is ready for that particular chamber.

(In a side note: That record is always partied--or as your people say, banjaxed--as fuck. And that's probably as it should be. As with the New Holidays' "Maybe So Maybe No" or The Notations' "I'm Still Here," VG minus minus is really the only way to listen to it [to the extent that it is to be listened to at all]. In a box somewhere I have a copy that's got a deep cigarette melt in it that the previous owner very meticulously filled in with some glue and a shim cut from a fucking Quisp box or something. I was not around during its heyday, but my impression is that all people really required from that record, condition-wise, was for the needle to physically make it across its surface, in the belief that the presence or absence of any actual sonic qualities would anyway be rendered secondary by the fratty musk that this thing secretes. There's some dude on youtube flossing his minty stock copy, which is a little like showing off an unopened condom. Some people, man.)

• Batiste Brothers - "Freeze"

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Allen Matthews on Bubbles "Allens Party"