Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    I've always pronounced it:

sighmonday.
    Wrong?

That's how I say it.

Apparently it should be Sah-mahn-day, but I've always said it Sih-man-day. Not sure where you guys would get the "mon" from though

Oh, great record. Glad to see it in the list.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was told Sih-Mon-Day

not Sah

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    Sih-Mon-Day

Yep.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Enough already. They pronounce it themselves right at the top of "Promised Heights."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    james said:
    Enough already. They pronounce it themselves right at the top of "Promised Heights."

:lalala:

• Yeah, but they also pronounce it "Promis-ed Heights", so....

Deserved spot in the canon I say. I come back to this album on the regular. End to end burner.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Clearly a great pick for the #3.
    2 pages and the only controversy is the correct pronunciation.

Do you say pro-nun-cee-a-tion or pra-noun-cee-a-tion?

• LaserWolf said:
    Clearly a great pick for the #3.
    2 pages and the only controversy is the correct pronunciation.

Gotta agree. Cymande has remained a top 10 for me. The first time I heard "The Message" on the Soul Train Lp, I was hooked. It's one of those records that when I find while digging with friends, I tell them they need to buy this. Never any complaints.

I've played this one consistently enough over the years that my wife will go look for it in the stacks to throw on the turntable (a rare event indeed). I also remember playing this one evening with poker buddies, who were primarily contemporary music fans, and then having to burn them each a copy.

Not to derail the conversation... I've have the Janus Lp's, but I've never even listened to the Paul Winley record.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    End to end burner.

• Only been digging for about a year now, but this is definitely one of my prized records (free-99, we in there!). It's really special to me because half of the band is from Guyana, like mom and pops. Patriotism and scoundrels aside, Guyana is a very small and forgotten-about country, and there aren't all that many of us on the planet. I kinda hate myself for it, but it really does warm my heart to know that four Guyanese boys helped make one of the very best.

• Love every second of this album. Would probably be my #1

• Love every second of this album. Would probably be my #1

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

So the question is....when did it get fetishized? after de la soul? Were UK Soul dudes already rockin it?

Like Bra, let it go. It's such a great album. Near perfect..

i think it was a wall of fame type thing. it got play in nyc on the rapp/house tip and then was fetishized everywhere else cause of the raerness. would like to hear a euroman perspective on this.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Getting some props today in Teh Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/09/cymande-the-classic-british-funk-band-you-dont-know-you-know

Did a ticket deal for some of the guys a while back at a Jazz Cafe gig, they couldn't get on the guestlist in time but code of the Strut, right?
    Duderonomyppadilha

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    they are coming to barcelona, i want to go, but no one i know down here knows about them. lets see what i do
    DuderonomyJimster

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    There’s a doc about them screening now:

https://youtu.be/kKMv0hYT4Xc

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    My friend Kevin Davy has got the trumpet gig with them at the mo.  He was playing in NYC (Central Park) for this weekend gone.

Duderonomy