Kids Records

pimlicosquirrelpimlicosquirrel 772 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
What are Strut parents playing for their kids in the ride or whatever?

We are 10 weeks in and are really enjoying revisiting this stuff with our boy.......more than him no doubt as he's so young, but it defiantly creates the right mood when we are laughing our asses off and ham fistedly singing along to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Current faves

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Children of Zoom - Playgrounds
    and they have another album w/ the next cast

Big Blue Marble - TV Soundtrack

But the kids ive played it for dont know Old MacDonald, This Old Man, and old school songs.

• I thought we'd be playing music for my son constantly, then we got to one year and I realised we hadn't.
    I was convinced he perked his ears up to Michael Kiwanuka in the first few weeks but it's hard to tell at that age, he had a variety of seemingly profound facial expressions that were probably unrelated to his environment.
    But he certainly enjoys this record, he dances (rocks) and we play the toy drum (which sounds like a deep woodblock) along to it:

Plus I play this for him a fair bit, some great songs about animal deaths in the farmyard:

Otherwise, it's straight nursery rhymes sung by me or my wife and I harmonising (like a grotesque version of The Carpenters). He loves being sung to. Thankfully.
    And of course all childrens tv titles/ credits music gets his full attention.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man, I wanted to do something to Rita Moreno before I even knew what it was that I'd do.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'd add the various Kimbo Records joint (like "Rhythmic Parachute Play" that I dropped on my "Don't Wake Me, I'm Dreamin'" mix).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've mentioned this before on here, but everyone with kids should check out the Dino 5 record that Prince Paul did with Chali 2na, Ladybug Mecca and some other people. My kids loved it, and it's actually tolerable for adults to hear when it gets played over and over and over as kids records tend to do.

• i have an almost 3 month old, other than her having her own Fisher Price turntable already, i have been going through my crate of "kids records" um talking three little bears/ where the wild things are/ sesame street/ mr dressup/ mr rogers/ winnie the pooh/ alice in worderland/ smurfs

but she (our daughter) enjoys the JB's, Fleetwood Mac, MC Lyte and what ever else with a bit of "bounce" in it...including some legendary Paul C, lol

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I've got a signed Slim Goodbody record.

• ehh. nevermind.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    El Guincho's Pop Negro.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My daughter's favorite songs while still a toddler...

Jack Johnson "Upside Down"
    MIA "Galong"
    One Way "Cutie Pie"
    Bob Marley "3 Little Birds"
    America "Tin Man"
    Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
    Black Sabbath "Iron Man"
    Billie Holiday "Solitude"
    Patsy Cline "Walking After Midnight"

Only children's record she's ever liked was The Chipmunks. And Yo Gabba Gabba gets the gasface.

• Gabba does not get the gas face over here. I've listened to all 4 albums many many many times and I enjoy them, not tolerate. The diversity of musical styles is great and they are all appropriate. A ska song telling their kids to clean up their room with "pickitup, pickitup, pickitup..." Is funny to me. The Money Mark robot song rules. I'll listen to Chromeo talking about washing hands.

My daughter, who just turned 4 yesterday, has enjoyed these things over time:

Bjork - she's actually learned a lot of words by asking what things like exhausted and gorgeous mean.
    Bjork and dirty projectors - mt Wittenberg album (recommended)
    Blonde redhead - she latched on to "x x, Alex, I'm your only friend."
    All the Oompa Loompa songs strung together
    Disclosure - fire starts to burn ruled, but she stck with white noise
    Haim - multiple songs

I'll think of more. We throw on toddler radio on pandora or iTunes Radio.

• It seems obvious to me that you would encourage whatever taste in music your child exhibits without forcing onto them solely your idea of good music, and that you'd sing basslines, vocally harmonise with and dance to whatever you're playing in the house so they learn to innately enjoy and understand music.
    If they like Lady Gaga or High School Musical, that's absolutely fine. I have no time for parents who parade their children like hipster accessories and proclaim to all and sundry how proud they are that their preschool kids love the Ramones or techno. It reeks of oneupmanship.
    But you're also bound to play to them music you liked as a child in the same way you'll dig out books from your upbringing to read to them.
    I'm just happy if my son's happy and, it seems, vice-versa.
    So grateful to the universe for melody and rhythm - fundamentals of existence.

• I basically test out whatever I've borrowed from the library on my kids. They are quick to shut me down. I go with their requests. I've been surprised at what stuff I thought I hated, but have grown to like from listening to their toddler channels or soundtracks.

Others she's latched onto:

Archie's - sugar sugar
    Nancy Sinatra - boots
    Surfaris - wipeout

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Can't forget about Bruce Haack!

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    The coolest!

• i buy te rockabye records for all the new parents in my life:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    While I don't have a kid, I feel that math and foreign language are essential. Teach them the metric system, also. Speaking of which: Metric Man...

• I have 2 boys, age 4 and 6. They`re into the usual kids stuff, Disney, Sesame Street, Passe-partout (Quebec Children`s show). They both love Kraftwerk, which seems to be common among the parents I know. Kraftwerk has classical melodies, and they sing about robots, space ships, trains, etc. Both also like party pop: LMAFO, Gagnam Style, etc. The younger guy can`t get into instrumentals. The songs need vocals, and bonus points if it`s robot vocals. He`s also more into heavy stuff than the older guy. The older guy likes stuff both with vocals and without. Not as much into heavy, but is cool with complex stuff. They have their own section in the expedit, and pull out other things at random. Some they like, some not.

• My buddy's 3 year-old bangs and raps along with Chance the Rapper.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    granjero said:
    It seems obvious to me that you would encourage whatever taste in music your child exhibits without forcing onto them solely your idea of good music, ...

My eldest is now 9. Over the course of the year she will just mention to me that she likes a particular song and we add it to a pile that then gets narrowed down to 70-80 minutes a few weeks before her birthday. For the past five or six years (I think we started before her 4th birthday) we have burned CDs for her friends which we give to them instead of sweets and cheap toys in the party bags that they get at the end of her birthday party. (In the UK you tend to invite the whole school class and everybody gets a party bag as a thank you for coming to your party.) These CDs have turned out to be rather popular with her friends and some of the parents. I don???t have the full list anymore but here???s one from (I think) two or three years ago:

1. Ku Kertien / Chorale Jouga Julien
    2. Mah Na Mah Na / Sesame Street
    3. La Felicita merged / Franco Godi
    4. Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens / Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five
    5. Rag Mop / Lionel Hampton
    6. Trouble In My Way / Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens
    7. Ife's Soca Mix (Rockit / Dollar Wine / Follow The Leader) / Merchant / Colin Lucas / Nigell & Marvin
    8. La Zenaida / Armando Hernadez
    9. Tourbillon (Serre-Moi Fort Si Tu M'aimes) / Soha
    10. Em'ma / Tour?? Kunda
    11. Alyo / Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
    12. The Clapping Song / Shirley Ellis
    13. (Oh No Not) The Beast Day / Marsha Hunt's 22
    14. You Can't Hide From Yourself (Dimitri from Paris Super Disco Blend) / Teddy Pendergrass
    15. Wordy Rappinghood / Tom Tom Club

Her sister turned five this year and this was her???s

1. Afro Disco Beat - Yemsky's 549 Edit / Tony Allen With Africa 70
    2. Wordy Rappinghood Yemsky's Edit / Tom Tom Club
    3. Antique Anthem - Yemsky's Edit / Marc Hype & Jim Dunloop
    4. I Need A Dollar / Aloe Blacc
    5. Hands Up - Yemsky's D.I.S.C.O. Mix / Ottawan
    6. He's A Pirate / Klaus Badelt
    7. Balada Boa - Yemsky's Megamix / Gusttavo Lima
    8. DocMcStuffins/ China Anne McClain
    9. DontStopTheRock/ FreestyleExpress
    10. Heidi Heidi Heidi (German, Italian, French)
    11. I JustCan'tWaitToBeKing/ Lion King
    12. The Lion Sleeps Very Long Tonight
    13. Nanny McPhee: Cousins Arrive
    14. Pippi Langstrumpf / L??ngstrump
    15. Yellow&PurpleJazz; BabyLovesJazz

The last track is from a book series I highly recommend called Baby Loves Jazz by Andy Blackman Hurwitz. Some volumes are better than others, but all are worth picking up. Sharon Jones sings on a few (though that???s not necessarily the highlight of the series for me).

Speaking of Jazz: This compilation is great...

... and deserves the 70-odd 5-star reviews on Amazon. Cop it!

Here is a CD I bought in the hope of making a discovery.

Be warned and stay away.

One thing I created for my youngest one last year is this ABC Rap video (I think I might have posted this on Soulstrut before...)

• vintageinfants said:
    i buy te rockabye records for all the new parents in my life:

I went down the rabbit hole, seems to work well with Pixies chord progressions, but still makes me want to kill myself.........and the baby.

Yemsky said:
    granjero said:
    It seems obvious to me that you would encourage whatever taste in music your child exhibits without forcing onto them solely your idea of good music, ...

My eldest is now 9. Over the course of the year she will just mention to me that she likes a particular song and we add it to a pile that then gets narrowed down to 70-80 minutes a few weeks before her birthday. For the past five or six years (I think we started before her 4th birthday) we have burned CDs for her friends which we give to them instead of sweets and cheap toys in the party bags that they get at the end of her birthday party. (In the UK you tend to invite the whole school class and everybody gets a party bag as a thank you for coming to your party.) These CDs have turned out to be rather popular with her friends and some of the parents. I don???t have the full list anymore but here???s one from (I think) two or three years ago:

^^ I'm definitely stealing your idea, I hope you don't mind & thank you.

• Agree with the above- Yo Gabba Gabba is that Hott Schitt. Man, they got some ear worms, and the kiddo loves that stuff. The FARM episode features a Shuggie Otis nod, and I can't be mad at that.

But, while I don't hate, I banned all kids music at our daughter's 2nd birthday- strictly reggae/soul/Otis Redding related. otis is her favorite soul singer, and she likes the reggae the best. Probably the simple beat, me thinks.