Are you a military veteran?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
Veteran's day is tomorrow in the US. Any other military veteran's here (of all nations, not just US)?

Me:
U.S. Army 1994-1998
98G, Korean Linguist
Stationed at:
Camp Humphreys, Korea

Check in!

Comments

• i fully support anyone who is willing to die for their country and the people in it.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    My dad narrowly avoided crowd control at the '68 DNC in Chicago as a National Guard enlistee. Thank God he avoided Vietnam too. He has the day off and I don't, so I'm jealous.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Um does KISS Army count?

Oh I wasn't in that anyways. I just love that joke.

• Kurt Vonnegut, US Army veteran and survivor of the firebombing of Dresden when he was a POW, had this to say about Veteran's Day:

I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
    It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.
    Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
    So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don't want to throw away any sacred things.

On the other hand my father served in Germany during the Korean War and said it was the best two years of his life, and he always bought the poppies from the VFW guys.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I Am completely ok with anybody disliking the military, and by association service members, veterans, and holidays like veterans day.

I do find it hard to believe that I am the ONLY veteran on the strut though. I'll be waiting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks Gary!
    Enjoy your day.

Only one other vet around here I know of. But come to think of it he might be active duty.

Paging MB.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Perhaps they don't want to talk about it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

This made me giggle

• J i m s t e r said:

U.S. Army 1988-92.
    29Sierra, Comsec Tech.
    Mostly Germany.
    4 Months in DesertStorm ClusterFuck.

Not much to talk about.
    I repaired radio encryption equipment, so I was locked in a secure vault most of the time.

I didn't do shit compared to what folks are doing in Afghanistan now.
    I really hope they all come home soon.

• Did 6 years in the Chair Force. Dodged 2 deployments. Hated it. Did USAFE, PACAF, and ACC.
    2E152 - METNAV then later 3S051 - Personnel

• Thanks for your service, guys. Respect to both of you.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks to all, hope you enjoyed the day.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah, I suppose I did enjoy the day.

Then again, I tend to enjoy most days.

• Gary said:
    Yeah, I suppose I did enjoy the day.

Then again, I tend to enjoy most days.

And that's how it should be.