Dollar Bin Hip Hop?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
is there a such thing?

I mean when i scoured it was other genres older 70s type shit.

Can u find all those overpressed 90's Def Jam 12" for a dollar.
Wack SugarHill joints and other off brand 80's joints are still $5??

Shouldnt LL Bad be a dollar by now?

Whats the climate now?

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    100% yes. In California (SD) these things (Def Jam, Major label 12") are everywhere for $1. You will also see good older 12" for a buck as well. Stuff is everywhere. I will see things like LL Bad for a $1 at a swap meet but not at a store per se... If you move up to $2 to $3 hip hop, you will find really really good stuff all over the place. Last record show was full of 2/3$ good hip hop records. Lots of ex-DJs unloading shid.

• promo 12"s are dollar bin for sure
    I've seen them go cheaper than that around here.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I would sometimes see a dozen or more promo copies of a single from some no-name late 90s - early 00's Snoop protege at the thrift store.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Doesn't Amoeba have a ton of hip hop dollar bins?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    This week I got Souls of Mischief - 93 til Infinity and Audio Two - Top Billin' 12" for 99 cents each.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Okay...just wonderin'

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    not in canada
    people unload but stores upsell
    3.99 type shit even for some drag-on remix

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    billbradley said:
    This week I got Souls of Mischief - 93 til Infinity and Audio Two - Top Billin' 12" for 99 cents each.

Haha.....sayin.... Got a MC Lyte/Pos K "Good Combination" for a buck two weeks back. Seems like rap 12's are like chud for most folks now......

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    man the market for rap 12's in the late 90's/early 00's was crazy.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    man the market for rap 12's in the late 90's/early 00's was crazy.
    it still is if you have the indierap/"random" rap heaters to get rid of..crazy prices

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    00s jiggy shit, No Limit 12s, garbage Bad Boy 12s, terrible Def Jam 12s all litter dollar bins.

• .50 bin even.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    so what has kept its market strength?

only raer?

• yup. even random rap isnt as gravy ville as it was four years back. but big rare titles still get the benjamins

classics like tribe 12s etc will always be desirable, but its tough to get more than 5-10 for most classics
    LPs seem to be a little bit more desired, maybe since now they arent seen as substandard playout fodder

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    The_Non said:
    00s jiggy shit, No Limit 12s, garbage Bad Boy 12s, terrible Def Jam 12s all litter dollar bins.

location?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    kala said:
    The_Non said:

location?

furthermore
    will young japan deem this pablum desirable in 2020?

• Young japanman has all of the low level hiphop shot in volumes over there, often for 50-100yen a pop! It's pretty plaid out over there with hiphop besides the dj ivory/ dj koco shit

• I will also verify the plethora of cheap hip-hop vinyl in LA and Ventura Counties. Lots of stuff being reissued too but you've probably come across that. I have tons of indie hip-hop from the Fat Beat days that I'm thinking of purging. One of my goals this month is to go through my hip-hop and start weeding through it. Totally makes sense as to why so much of this stuff is out in the field as most dudes who had dreams of DJ'ing are now in their 40's or are about to be. This is the generation that mostly bought this stuff, at least it seems to me anyway.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I purchased 30 or so 12"s a little while back for $1 a piece but the average price for hip op 12"s here is around the $5-10 mark