Manzel - midnight theme Q

leonleon 883 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Just a quick question. Pulled out my Manzel - midnight theme Lp on Dopebrother (2004) for a spin today. All tracks exc. Jump Street have been 'remixed' by Kenny Dope and The Undercover Brother. What does 'remixed' mean? I don't own a single OG so i can't compare. am i listening to original tracks or reworked stuff? What's the deal? Why touch the original tracks?

Peace,
Leon

Comments

• It's hard to tell because a lot of those tracks were not released until on that LP. I'd say the title track for example sounds pretty much the same, so maybe remastered is the word rather than remixed. Space Funk on the other hand sounds somewhat different (the strings etc.). I suppose I'll get some flack for saying this but I kind of prefer the remixed version.

original:

remix:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    without going too much into detail, i'd say to bring up the rhythm parts, drums bassline ect, eq and volume, maybe bring down the string parts, with respect for the original, re arrange a little bit, not ruining the tracks, but giving them a little extra punch, making it sound tighter, for the dance floor..

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Thanks for the answers Earthings and Upskiboo!
    I still don't understand why they touched the OG's but at least now i know the tracks haven't been reworked completely.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If I remember, Undercover Brother had already put out the original Manzel track.
    So the DopeBrother record was in addition to the earlier reish.
    Remix is what Kenny does, so I would think it got some remixing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I should add that obviously Kenny total understands the appeal of the original. I'm sure UpSki is right, eq, bring up the bass...