Toronto People - Childish Gambino at Trinity Bellwoods today October 28

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
He'll be there at 5pm today playing his new record. Not sure if he's performing...and if not, why he's previewing his record outdoors in late October lol

Anyway, in case you are a fan.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    This is what I was wondering. His last tweet was

"btw: this is NOT a concert. i am not performing. i am playing the new album"

Is everyone just huddling around him to keep warm, playing the album off his phone?

Is it happening down near the drum circle area?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This is the guy who's quitting Community, the show that made him a star, so he can focus more on his raps, the talent that didn't? Does the strut ride?

I also read he's starting a new tv project that he'll write, direct, produce and star in, that's about a rapper in Atlanta. How could that not be amazing. sigh.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Okem said:
    This is the guy who's quitting Community, the show that made him a star, so he can focus more on his raps, the talent that didn't? Does the strut ride?

I also read he's starting a new tv project that he'll write, direct, produce and star in, that's about a rapper in Atlanta. How could that not be amazing. sigh.

He had a tape out last year which occasionally hinted there might be enough mileage in the whole conceit to sustain a parallel career for a while. Probably only while he's still on TV, though. Bearing in mind that arguably the biggest name in hip-hop right now is an actor playing the part of a rapper, I can hardly blame the guy for at least giving it a shot.

His recent so-called beef with Lupe was funny in a "two bald dudes fighting over a comb" kind of way, though - especially the bit where Lupe supposedly shut him down by claiming he knew more about anime. I bet dude didn't leave the house for a week after that one.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Dude got famous playing a character that gets supper excited about pillow forts and trampolines, it's kind of amazing that he can step into the rap world at all. Drake comparisons and beefing over anime geekdom seems about right.

Is this revenge for the likes of Ice Cube and Tupac taking acting jobs in the 90s? Cause it doesn't seem like a fair exchange.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    His Royalty tape had some really good tracks if you skipped his parts and concentrated on the features.