Alternatives to Vince Guaraldi

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
I get hit with this every Autumn...an insatiable need to hear Vince Guaraldi. I don't want to OD on his work; as I have in the past.

Anyone have any suggestions for records that might fit nicely with that signature Guaraldi sound?

Thanks.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Just off the top of my head:

Ramsey Lewis - anything mid 60s cadet
    Monty Alexander - Early Verve and MPS sides
    Herbie Hancock - Inventions and Dimensions

that should scratch that itch

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    Just off the top of my head:

Ramsey Lewis - anything mid 60s cadet
    Monty Alexander - Early Verve and MPS sides
    Herbie Hancock - Inventions and Dimensions

that should scratch that itch

Thank you! I'm listening to the Hancock suggestion now and it's exactly what I'm talkin' about...

This one hits it on the head...even the sound of the ride cymbal is exactly what I was looking for....

• He was into all of those Bossa Nova guys so you could look in that direction. I know that Joao Donato is a good place to look.

• DELETE

• Bill Evans "Explorations", maybe? Obvious but good.

Also, Mary Lou Williams, and The Dudley Moore Trio.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dave Brubeck?
    Might want to step away from the piano and listen to Cal Tjader.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Sergio Mendes (pre Brasil '66)?
    Milton Banana?

The only Vince Guaraldi I know are the albums with Bola Sete hence the bossa recommendations

LaserWolf said:
    Dave Brubeck?

Yeah, certain Brubeck records definitely come to mind when I think about Vince's sound.

I'll listen to some Cal right now.

Thanks to everyone for all these recommendations.

EDIT: This Cal Tjader I'm listening to is dope but it reminds me more of a Milt Jackson vibe mixed with that Stan Getz/Laurindo Almeida Verve record.

JectWon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Dave Brubeck?

Yeah, certain Brubeck records definitely come to mind when I think about Vince's sound.

I'll listen to some Cal right now.

Thanks to everyone for all these recommendations.

EDIT: This Cal Tjader I'm listening to is dope but it reminds me more of a Milt Jackson vibe mixed with that Stan Getz/Laurindo Almeida Verve record.

RE-EDIT: Goddamn speaking of Milt and Cal...the youtube wormhole you just sent me down led me to this collab...

slowburner.gif

Anyone know who is on the Rhodes on this clip? EDIT: Nevermind...Clare Fisher

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for the vid. A half hour well spent.

Clare Fischer lps may help satisfy some of your Vince G fix.
    Some Clare Fischer lps are orchestral, and may not be your cup of tea, but some are small group, all are nice and often under valued.

Trivia bonus, his son was drummer for Rufus.

• cool tjader video. that particular group recorded a bunch of lp's...plus the clare fischer records of that era have pretty much the same band minus tjader. in particular, check out "salsa picante" and the one with a t-bone steak being grilled on the cover...

that said, I don't get this thread. are you simply looking for other piano players who recorded within a specific period or genre or are you looking for someone who replicates guaraldi's sound?

since we are talking about, my understanding that guaraldi never released the late 60's/early 70's peanuts Rhodes stuff on lp. can anyone confirm if that is the case and I am not talking about re-issues.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    He was into all of those Bossa Nova guys so you could look in that direction.

Tamba Trio

crabmongerfunk said:
    looking for someone who replicates guaraldi's sound?

That's it. I just dig Guaraldi's sound and it always comes to mind this time of year.