Post a song that reps a monument/landmark/special place in your city.

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"Skip on over to the Concourse....."

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "Up to Lexington/125
    Feel sick and dirty baby, more dead than alive"

I think this song is about a trip to Pathmark.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    was listening to O Bando today for the first time in a long time and realized they have this ode to Porto Alegre on their album. One of those "strolling through the city and listing landmarks and street names" songs:

• [code]Auckland, New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tree_Hill_(song)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Also High On Williams Avenue by Seafood Mamma, but the only recordings are by Quarterflash, good but too 80s in a bad way.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    He spent some time here in the Mile HIgh City back in the 70's.
    All of the places he mentions are now long gone.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    duh

• Double post, sorry. DELETE

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Dawhud said:
    "Posse on Broadway" homie!

"Dick's is the place where the cool hang out, the swass like to play and the rich flaunt clout..."

Their slogan, Dick's Burgers Have A Unique Taste, kept me away.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

(no embedding, unfortunately)

Sometimes I wish I grew up in the 70s, during the VNB cruising hey day.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Last month I found myself at a closed-off Broadway and John, milling around with a bunch of other weirdos, for the Dick's 60th Anniversary. I was walking home and heard all this commotion--oh yeah, I read about this, let's check this out. There was a rock band on a stage in the middle of the street. People were in line for free burgers. The band was obviously in their "this is our best song" wrap-up mode, but the party was still scheduled for another 45 minutes.
    I scanned the crowd and decided that, yeah, Sir Mix-a-lot is gonna have to be on that stage next.
    Stood awkwardly for a few minutes, taking in the scene:
    -young people are HYPED to smoke weed in public, even more than when I was a young person. Disappointing. I thought they were cooler.
    -some older dorks are HYPED to smoke weed in public now too. I can't really blame them. It's radical.
    -FREE FOOD, even if it's a $2 fast food burger, will always excite the populace. Comeonbro.
    -beer garden ran out of beer. Beer gardens are weird.

okay then boom yeah there's that hat the dude wears, yeah that's Sir Mix-a-lot, coming up on a stage on a closed Broadway, in front of the place where the cool hang out! Surreal.
    I announced that I would sit through Baby Got Back, if it meant I got to witness him perform Posse On Broadway.
    First song was some new song. Hmm.
    Then he's asking for women to come on stage. It's a perfect storm. Hurricane Becky, y'all!
    The whole weird crowd did sing-a-long rap hands point-at-your-friend-rap-in-their-face head-bob hands-in-the-air shit. Not surprising, I guess. Then it's time.
    It's time.
    Quarter til ten, just enough time to do Posse On Broadway Godzilla megamix with lost verses and bring Macklemore on stage or whatever you have to do:
    and like have the crowd fizzled out, not really too sure what they were hearing. It was so strange. I started doing the math and realized that Posse On Broadway is only a few years before Baby Got Back, but holy shit it's prehistoric to the casual rappfann. Is it possible that Posse On Broadway is a Mix-a-lot deep cut now?
    Whatever. It was cool for me, and teenage me. Kinda weird, sorta sad. But that's Seattle's rapping history. All one song's worth.
    Five minutes to party shutdown and Mix-a-lot's doing some speech about Dicks and Seattle and Pearl Jam. He mentions Macklemore and oh yeah he'll bring this dude out and they'll do a song they've written for the Seahawks or something.
    No.
    He launched into another new song. And I kept walking home.

I'll add this one:

I never went there, and it's technically not Seattle, but there are cool stories about the Spanish Castle.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I always liked My Hooptie.

• Used to roll through here frequently on my lunch breaks when I worked in Ft. Greene. It's been torn down though. :/

Baby's Got Back was a national pop hit. Posse On Broadway was a Seattle rap hit.

I sometimes went to a place on Aurora called The Roadhouse, that I had been told used to be Spanish Castle. But then it turned out that Spanish Castle was somewhere else on 99.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Baby's Got Back was a national pop hit. Posse On Broadway was a Seattle rap hit.

Posse on Broadway was HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE in Houston my sophomore year in high school.

Bumping out of every Suzuki Samarai and ish.

Maybe I'm not knowing.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    Bastid on the MacDonald Bridge walkway cutting shit up, lol

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My man dropped every street name in Stumptown so this could go on forever.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My man dropped every street name in Stumptown so this could go on forever.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I hear "Posse" on L.A. radio sometimes.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    not a monument or part of town, just the city itself, if punk rocks your thing, might dig this one..

Speaking of "dropp[ing] every street name in Stumptown" all the Simpson characters in the Simpson are named after Portland Streets. And by "all" I mean all the ones who are.

• Even though the place is closed,, it's not gone...

"One Saturday I took a walk to Zipperhead...".

Dead Milkmen- Punk Rock Girl