Boogie = Quiet Storm?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Yeah yeah yeah, I thought I had an understanding of what you trainspotters now call boogie. I mean, I 've never respected it as a "genre", as opposed to just a collection of danceable early 80's r-n-b, but I at least thought I had a clear handle on what was being expressed. But now, I'm hearing far too many quiet storm-type songs being passed off as boogie, as if we're all going to start wearing our pastel Easter suits to the club and say how blessed we are every 30 seconds. Seriously, this shit started out corny and is only getting worse.

Point being, you can play records from the past, even a collection of similar records from a similar time frame, without assigning them some grand label as part of some lame attempt at creating a scene.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wouldnt call Slow Jams..Boogie, but there are plenty of artists that did bowf.

Boogie Era - NOT BOOGIE.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Quiet storm isn't necessarily about tempo to me. It's when the bass makes you think you are watching an episode of Seinfeld and then you start wondering if Kenny G is about to blow gold across a sparse keyboard pillow.

Wasn't this the kind of music that rap was trying to replace?

I mean cool, you found some rare 12" of a song that sorta sounds like The Whispers. Aaaaaand?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I think it's a good genre label to put onto things that suit a certain rhythm (not disco 4/4, but not p-funk) and a certain sound (moogs and other synths mixed with guitars, keys and bass). However, I do realize that there is serious crossover with disco, funk, r&b and pop so I think it shouldn't be used too widely. Like people slapping the boogie sticker on mid-to-late 80s house/freestyle/electro things in order to sell them easier (or create more chaos) which is annoying.

HarveyCanal said:

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Ha! Now don't fault me for blaming Sylvia Robinson for that one.

What song did u hear that set this off?

Was money playing dance joints and then suddenly got Blue Light up in the club?

batmon said:

Naw, I can't withstand a boogie night at the club. While I actually love the idea of younger people getting into music they weren't around to enjoy in the first place, the boogie scene bugs me because it's always these overly optimistic happy meals with everlasting grins on their faces that wind up killing my more realistic vibe. And those moments when they get extra excited about what I would consider a lame song...can't do it.

I'm much more comfortable sticking with the classic b-boy breaks element. While I love the early 80's vibe as much as anyone, I don't like the faux moving-on-up to pastels motivation it is bringing out in people now.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

Naw, I can't withstand a boogie night at the club. While I actually love the idea of younger people getting into music they weren't around to enjoy in the first place, the boogie scene bugs me because it's always these overly optimistic happy meals with everlasting grins on their faces that wind up killing my more realistic vibe. And those moments when they get extra excited about what I would consider a lame song...can't do it.

I'm much more comfortable sticking with the classic b-boy breaks element. While I love the early 80's vibe as much as anyone, I don't like the faux moving-on-up to pastels motivation it is bringing out in people now.

I think a more accurate image of "Boogie" would be dudes on some (mid-late 70s into early 80s) GQ shit despite the 80's Neon style stigma.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

Naw, I can't withstand a boogie night at the club.

Unfortunately for me, boogie is really popular in my neck of the woods. It even heavily infiltrates non-boogie parties, and I can't listen to it for more than about 20 minutes before I'm pretty much begging the DJ to switch it up.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think it's the same thing as calling every second tier singer songwriter loner-hippy-rural-psych-folk.
    Just a way to sell a record.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

You're missing out. The monthly done by the Austin Boogie Crew is a lot of fun. The B-Boys and B-Girls were out breaking at the 1 year anniversary too.

I've been before. I'd rather hear rap.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Fair enough. They can be hit or miss too. Especially during the summer when the UT students are gone. The last one went off though. Everyone was one the dance floor getting down. I played some Houston boogie raers and Dave from Friend of Sound brought a ton of heat too.

billbradley said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Fair enough. They can be hit or miss too. Especially during the summer when the UT students are gone. The last one went off though. Everyone was one the dance floor getting down. I played some Houston boogie raers and Dave from Friend of Sound brought a ton of heat too.

I like all of you dj dudes involved in this. I just wish y'all were on a different theme is all. I'll wait for it.

HarveyCanal said:
    billbradley said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I like all of you dj dudes involved in this. I just wish y'all were on a different theme is all. I'll wait for it.

Cold Lampin' is next week.

https://www.facebook.com/events/637918462896027/

A promo video shot at the 1 year anniversary was posted up today:

• In my opinion boogie is just like random rap in that, you can get some obscure shit hardly anyone has heard but the good stuff is still gonna be a marley marl, or cool j, or 45 king etc. People are pulling out rare boogie recs but something popular back then like I love you more beats that rare shit. Just like in funk James brown will always be the king and those other funk 45s are just that "other shit". Good stuff no doubt but not as significant

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Nice promo billbradley.

I would have to say this sound is still unheard of in our town. We (cookbook, bassfever, & myself) love to play it out when we have a chance. We get mixed reviews from the white folk. The dancers love it. My go to 12"s from this era will always be the female sound by
    Chemise "She can't love you" & Carmen "Its Time to move".