ESG at the opening night of the Hacienda, 1982

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Here.

I can't embed it, I'm afraid, but there are a grip of fascinating clips on that link.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The slowest song ESG ever did...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Very cool. I forget the context, but some time ago I referred to someone or something that was not central but was nonetheless crucial as "playing the Tito Libran role."

That 23 Skidoo clip is pretty tough. I remember reading something about how they were in negotiations to do something with your man Mark Morrison during his peak period (such as it was), but that he heard some live recordings of theirs and got shook. If it had come together, man, that woulda really been some shit.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Here.

I can't embed it, I'm afraid, but there are a grip of fascinating clips on that link.

Hahahahhhhaha! Great stuff. I didn't go until '89. Yet, nothing looks that different. Even in the end days, it looked just like those '82 clips. And the sound is pretty good on those clips, which is a nice surprise, as I would say it's probably the worst-sounding gig venue I've ever been to. All those angles, hard surfaces, the low stage, everything was at once echoey and flat (for my ears).

I was going to mention The Hacienda in the David Byrne/NYC thread - I feel what Factory/Wilson/Order did in terms of re-investing in the city that made them is precisely what isn't happening in NYC and may never happen again now that it's all about the money.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Here.

f*ck that was great

• wow thanks for posting man!!!
    im definitely surprised at how slow it is!! but i always used to forget anyway if UFO was meant for 33 or 45, like with a lot of their songs..
    where is the mom? i thought she was in the band?

• is that the mom singing?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    is that the mom singing?

could be wrong, but I thought they were all sisters.

• mom was involved in some capacity, but im no expert

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    mom was involved in some capacity
    I'm gonna start using this to snap on dudes. You can tack it on the end of anything and it sounds like diss:

"Yo, I was at the store the other day..."

"Yo, I was down at Payless trying on clogs..."

"Yo, I was faking a seizure at the bullfight..."

"Yo, I was with Christy Swanson and Don Johnson at a Mark Ronson/Action Bronson concert in Fond Du Lac Winconsin..."

"...and let's just say, your mom was involved in some capacity."

Game over.

(In a side note: If I ever had to go head to head with the one tripledouble in a dj battle, I'd be housing things with the part from ESG's "Erase You" about Tony who "had on so much gold / but it was phony!")

• daaam...dont they say "erase you....flushed him down the toilet"
    ya moms was flushing fools

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    They were all sisters and one of them was a mom. So says wiki, so it must be true.