2»

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Johnny Guitar Watson sounds flat more often that not and I love JGW

Also love this and his voice was cooked

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    utters said:
    'Quem ?? Quem' and 'Lugar Comum' by Jo??o Donato spring to mind, but so many Brazilian singers are out of tune... It's all about the vibe anyway

I never noticed this, never bothered me. I was listening to a Best of Astrid Gilberto, and someone asked 'who is this, she is terrible'. I loved her stuff so much I never noticed how off she is.

Astrud Gilberto is a terrible singer but I still love a lot of her records. Breathy and sexy goes a long way to distract from the fact she's tone deaf.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    LaserWolf said:
    utters said:
    'Quem ?? Quem' and 'Lugar Comum' by Jo??o Donato spring to mind, but so many Brazilian singers are out of tune... It's all about the vibe anyway

I never noticed this, never bothered me. I was listening to a Best of Astrid Gilberto, and someone asked 'who is this, she is terrible'. I loved her stuff so much I never noticed how off she is.

Astrud Gilberto is a terrible singer but I still love a lot of her records. Breathy and sexy goes a long way to distract from the fact she's tone deaf.

Breathy, sexy and great songs.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    This would fit the sexy breathy nondescript vocalist.

Attached files

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

-"This Night, This Song"-Tony Williams Lifetime.

pretty much anything in which Tony Williams sings, although there was a time I listened to Emergency! so much that his singing was starting to grow on me.

I'll also on some brazilian singers. Chico Buarque is one who's famous for being a poor singer. There are many others though, I think Ivan Lins has been mentioned. I don't know if Paulo Diniz is a bad singer or just a strange one. There's also Eduardo Ara??jo and his wife, Silvinha, both are mostly awful singers. Eg:

TBH I don't have the best ear for pitch (never took music lessons-r), so bad singing isn't what makes or breaks a song for me. For example, I'm down with that crazy Ethiopian pentatonic scale singing, but I know people who can't stand it.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    The entirety of #19 on the SS100. Dude cannot sing bro.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

Hey Duke

Rev Mc D is an adequate singer, but far from a great one. Also, we have include any Neil Young tunes if they haven't been already named. Junie Morrison isn't a great singer, but his joints are fonky!!! Others folks I came name are:

-Robert Wyatt
    -Mike Hugg (Manfred Mann "Chapter Three")
    Charles Earland

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Rishan said:
    Gil Scott-Heron couldn't REALLY sing, but it just made him, and his records, even greater, imo. especially on the Winter in America LP, he sounds well off the pace

i agree with this assessment to a point. the singing on "free will" is god awful and there are some seriously questionable moments on "winter in america", most notably in "rivers of my fathers" when he sings the line "got to change my way of living.." his singing got much better towards the arista period and i think he actually did become a great singer for a period of about 10 years before his hard living wore his voice down in the late 80's...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

Hey Duke

Rev Mc D is an adequate singer, but far from a great one. Also, we have include any Neil Young tunes if they haven't been already named. Junie Morrison isn't great singer, but his joints are fonky!!! Others folks I came name are:

-Robert Wyatt
    -Mike Hugg (Manfred Mann "Chapter Three")
    Charles Earland

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

there is nothing wrong w/ neil young's singing at all IMO...

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Rishan said:
    Gil Scott-Heron couldn't REALLY sing, but it just made him, and his records, even greater, imo. especially on the Winter in America LP, he sounds well off the pace

i agree with this assessment to a point. the singing on "free will" is god awful and there are some seriously questionable moments on "winter in america", most notably in "rivers of my fathers" when he sings the line "got to change my way of living.." his singing got much better towards the arista period and i think he actually did become a great singer for a period of about 10 years before his hard living wore his voice down in the late 80's...

yeah, maybe when he signed for Arista they had a bigger budget and paid him and the group for rehearsal time. as opposed to expecting them to do it for free in their own time, ala certain labels.

i think his voice on the Pieces of a Man LP is great though

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Rishan said:

yeah, maybe when he signed for Arista they had a bigger budget and paid him and the group for rehearsal time. as opposed to expecting them to do it for free in their own time, ala certain labels.

i think his voice on the Pieces of a Man LP is great though

• Stark Reality. But that's part if what makes it so great.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    A great one is Marcus Miller 'Much Too Much'

The youtube of it isn't available for mobile so can't link

He's trying so hard too. Better off sticking to Bass dude

• Almost any 80s Dead Milkmen tune

• Can't front on the Verocai arrangements, and Lins' raw interpretation, but.... Homie can't sing for salt nuts!

I LOVE the way Hugh Masakela sings. So open and honest. But got damn if he couldn't benefit from a few vocal lessons!

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    for me the ultimate in good bad singing. So sleazy. love it

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Bahamian guitarist Joseph Spence is worshiped by fingerstyle guitar players.
    Ry Cooder has sited and covered him.

He always tunes his guitar in the exact same way, which any trained musicians would call out of tune.
    The great fingerstyle guitarist John Miller showed me how Spence tunes his guitar, once you have it tuned that way everything sounds like Spence.

His singing, to me, is engaging and hysterical. An acquired taste to be sure.