Favorite songs with questionable singing quality

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
I was just listening to Pharoah Sanders' Love will find a way, and I love it because of/despite of the dodgy vocals. I feel the same way about the Larry T album, and in a less obscure way Nico's Chelsea Girl and a lot of Dylan's catalog. What songs do you love despite the slightly off singing?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• I wouldn't even know where to begin. "Good singing" is way down on my list.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    theres a gang of golden age hip hop with highly questionable r&b vocals as the hook or complimentary vocals.

some of it has a raw charm to it but alot is just lackluster.

it improved when hip Hop soul came around...imo.

• Sooks said:
    I was just listening to Pharoah Sanders' Love will find a way, and I love it because of/despite of the dodgy vocals. I feel the same way about the Larry T album, and in a less obscure way Nico's Chelsea Girl and a lot of Dylan's catalog. What songs do you love despite the slightly off singing?

Cosmic. Phyllis Hyman and the Waters on vocals on the Pharoah Sanders! you must have an EXTREMELY high standard of expectation

• Boogaloo has LOTS of so-so vocals. The first artist that comes to mind is Joe Bataan. I love his music but the dude can sound like a lounge singer at times.

• pinopino 18 Posts
    This, although I find the vocals on the LP fitting the package perfectly.

Gary Wilson - Groovy Girls Make Love At The Beach

+1 for the Larry T album. Singing don't bother me at all. Also could add some songs from Ivan Lins. Maybe I just don't have ear for clean vocals.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The best example i can think if is Galt MacDermot's Woman is sweeter. I love the singing!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Don Thomas' classic Come on Train. Terrible singing all the way through but behold his mighty attempt to stay on the note at around the 1.40 mark. Nice try, Don:

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Any Gary Bartz Vocal track. I like it, but it's goofy.

This is a vocal train wreck:

• NabozoNabozo 48 Posts
    a lot of disco but that is part of the charm

but yeah, rather raw passion than good singing

• Something from Bob Dylan, Stone Roses or New Order probably.,

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Someone posted this on here ages ago and I recently rediscovered it. So good.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Cilla Black - Alfie

Someone for whom right time, right place was invented.
    Screechy voice that the nation managed to convince itself was 'good', and to this day remains in the Uk national consciousness with no discernible talent.

On hearing the song, I always imagine Burt B with a pair of cans on at the studio, visibly wincing in that sucking-lemon way when Cilla belts out "What's it ALL about...".
    Part of the charm is that Cilla no doubt felt she totally killed it.

But better this than some supervocal dude or diva that recorded 15 albums of tutt just on the back of having a quality voice.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    skel said:
    no discernible talent.

I am told she rose to the top by excelling at laundry. Something about cooking socks?

Allegedly.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

Dude sounds deranged, but that's part of the charm I guess.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Dylan made it acceptable for songwriters to sing their sings despite their lack of vocal talent.

On the soul and jazz side strong vocals are expected.

I am having a hard time thinking of a soul song with dodgy vocals that I like.
    Maybe Tina Turner, River Deep.
    Or something by Allen Toussaint, but whatever Toussaint song that is there is probably a cover that is better.

On the jazz side, to me, Leon Thomas sounds... wrong, off... but I still love his stuff.
    Blossom Dearie is another. Some of her songs I find her vocals and limited range annoying, but songs like I'm Hip are great.

My favorite (at this moment) dodgy vocal performance:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

Love it despite the pub-singalong vocals.

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    Anything with Biz.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Some Joe Bataan songs, though wonderful, have a really odd and off thin tone to them.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I have to add on:

-anything by Charles Wright.
    -"Feed your Fears" - The Trademarques (last track on my "Head Trip" mix)
    - on Joe Bataan.
    -"This Night, This Song"-Tony Williams Lifetime (from my "Don't Wake Me, I'm Dreamin'" mix).
    -"San Franciscan Nights"-Eric Burdon & the Animals.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Anything by Slave or Steve Arrington.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    'Quem ?? Quem' and 'Lugar Comum' by Jo??o Donato spring to mind, but so many Brazilian singers are out of tune... It's all about the vibe anyway

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Anything by Slave or Steve Arrington.

Also, add on:

-anything by Bootsy Collins
    -any Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention (e.g., "Oh No/"Orange Lumber Truck" by Mothers of Invention, the 3rd/4th song from the end of my "Head Trip" mix)
    -any Captain Beefheart
    -"Never Leave Lonely"-The Brothers Johnson
    -"Wonder What I'd Do"-Mandre (2nd to last song from the "Saturday Coolout Mix")
    -"I Love You"-People (from the "Don't Wake Me, I'm Dreamin'" mix)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Gil Scott-Heron couldn't REALLY sing, but it just made him, and his records, even greater, imo. especially on the Winter in America LP, he sounds well off the pace

utters said:
    'Quem ?? Quem' and 'Lugar Comum' by Jo??o Donato spring to mind, but so many Brazilian singers are out of tune... It's all about the vibe anyway

I never noticed this, never bothered me. I was listening to a Best of Astrid Gilberto, and someone asked 'who is this, she is terrible'. I loved her stuff so much I never noticed how off she is.

I think we all do this, put down a singer we don't like - because they can't sing - yet never notice it in the singers we do like.

My favorite Billie Holiday lp is Lady In Satin, well past her peak, her voice is ruined, but the effect is so great.
    Johnny Cash started in era when singers were supposed to have good voices, and sometimes he really nailed it.
    But the last lps he made were some of his best, and his voice was completely shot.
    If you can pull it off with emotion and style it works.

Tom Waits.