Sharon Redd - Redd Hott (1982)

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central

In October 1982 all the cuts from this LP hit #1 on the dance charts for one week.

When does this ever happen anymore? I knew that every song on the first side was bangin', but never knew all the songs made #1. When did that ever happen, especially on the dance charts?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't think any of them crossed over to the pop charts.
    Not much better on the R&B charts, where Beat The Street made it only to #41, and that was her best showing.

Still she made that "complicated walk" from the back of the stage to the front of the stage.

Record companies and promoters used to be able to manipulate the charts much easier than they can today.
    82 was a bout the peak of the independent promoter.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Burns said:

In October 1982 all the cuts from this LP hit #1 on the dance charts for one week.

When does this ever happen anymore? I knew that every song on the first side was bangin', but never knew all the songs made #1. When did that ever happen, especially on the dance charts?

That album fucking ruled. In The Name Of Love hit bigger in the gay clubs, but there were about three other joints from it that stayed hot everywhere for months, Beat The Street in particular. I remember a lot about this record because it came out around the time I first started trying to be a DJ, and I used to try and rock doubles of the Beat The Street remix. This was when Prelude were putting out tons of hot shit, and I'd jam the fuck out of anything with Shep Pettibone or Francois Kevorkian's name on it.

First live show I saw when I moved to London was Sharon Redd at the Fridge in Brixton about a year before she died.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I don't think any of them crossed over to the pop charts.
    Not much better on the R&B charts, where Beat The Street made it only to #41, and that was her best showing.

Still she made that "complicated walk" from the back of the stage to the front of the stage.

Record companies and promoters used to be able to manipulate the charts much easier than they can today.
    82 was a bout the peak of the independent promoter.

All the singles off this were pop hits in the UK. So was Can You Handle It from the previous album and Love How You Feel from the following one.

I hear you that this is precisely the kind of record that would have benefitted from independent promotion back then.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    she died.

I did not know that.

Downer.

Yes, she did that thing well. Brings back good memories.

Please tell me Melba Moore is still alive.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I became friends with her older brother who is at least like 70+ dude. He never talked about her.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Burns said:

Hey,

It's nice to see this LP get shine on the 'Strut. This was my shit back in the day. I still give it a spin on occasion! Unfortunately, Ms. Redd was a victim of AIDS back in the 80s. She left some great music behind for us to enjoy so her legacy lives on.

Peace,

Big Stack from Kakalak

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    batmon said:
    I became friends with her older brother who is at least like 70+ dude. He never talked about her.

Haha. Most pointless contribution ever.