Classics You've Only Recently Allowed Yourself to Enjoy

2»

Comments

• Gibbo said:
    utters said:
    For me, it's Roots Reggae... I've finally found my entry point into the world of Jamaican music. I'm very fussy about vocals and production sound/mix but these ones I can listen to over and over

Burning Spear- Marcus Garvey
    Max Romeo & The Upsetters- War Ina Babylon
    Peter Tosh- Legalize It
    Mighty Diamonds- Right Time
    Wailers- Burnin'

Have tried to get into The Congos 'Heart Of' but the production is too muddy/messy for me

You should give this a listen...

This one I know already, big augustus pablo fan. Just never liked reggae with singing on it...

• I've kinda rediscovered A Tribe Called Quest, especially the first one. Still not a huge fan of LET, a bit weaker, not as fresh, except for Scenario obv.
    O.C. too, and Masta Ace, for hip hop matters.

Very glad I listened to the rocksteady Ellis, I liked him a lot from later records but that's just bingo.

ah and Toots and the Maytals I had always evaded for some reason.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    skel said:
    Hissing.

The next best one.

skel said:
    Nick Drake

Lewis Taylor raved about him, but not pressing my buttons.

skel said:
    Hue And Cry

Yes. Did he ever find Linda? Would make an excellent part deux tune.

Also Thomas Lang

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I've decided to give Steely Dan a try, I only know the famous tunes like Do It Again. Got most of the albums on my computer at the moment but haven't had the time to do it yet. Started listening to Aja just now but then some work bullshit came up.

I ride for Van Morrison, although I hate Brown Eyed Girl. Moondance is a good album, not as good as Astral Weeks.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:
    BallzDeep said:
    HarveyCanal said:

This shit bored me to death when it came out, the drums especially.

worst drums ever.

I still cant get over the drums.

So why does everybody hate the drums?

too loud and prominant and very stiff at times.

Veeeeery stiff. I'm from New Orleans so I need a little spice thrown in there somewhere, not just plodding kapows.

Same thing happened for me when the first Audioslave album came out. I was a huge Soundgarden fan and had always liked Rage Against the Machine alright. But despite liking a whole lot about the Audioslave songs in full, the bland drumming by Dipshit Brad Wilke destroyed any enjoyment I could get out of them.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Now, don't get me wrong, I've loved this album pretty much since it was released (the Not Just Knee Deep 45 was one of the first records I specifically bought for myself), but it has been so played out and over praised by people who never dug deep into the Funkadelic catalog that I haven't given it a good listen in a long long time. Then one night a week or two ago someone put the full 15 minute version of Knee Deep on the jukebox at a bar I was in and it was like hearing the song for the first time again, I was totally captivated by how amazing a song it was. The next day I listened to the whole LP and damn if I wasn't amazed. It's been in almost daily rotation for me since then, it really is one of the greatest records I know. It's kind of criminal that it's going to be left off of the Soul Strut 100 because we all tend to play it off like P-Funk isn't a big deal, but fuck that, this record is better than the vast majority of the 100.

• I wasn't getting this at all when I first heard it. Shelved it for several years and just recently tried again. Now I'm completely hooked.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    utters said:
    Gibbo said:
    utters said:
    For me, it's Roots Reggae... I've finally found my entry point into the world of Jamaican music. I'm very fussy about vocals and production sound/mix but these ones I can listen to over and over

Burning Spear- Marcus Garvey
    Max Romeo & The Upsetters- War Ina Babylon
    Peter Tosh- Legalize It
    Mighty Diamonds- Right Time
    Wailers- Burnin'

Have tried to get into The Congos 'Heart Of' but the production is too muddy/messy for me

You should give this a listen...

This one I know already, big augustus pablo fan. Just never liked reggae with singing on it...

Not sure how much you listened to before you got to those five records - they are fairly accessible and scratching the surface...which is not a comment on their quality, by the way.

Did you see this recent thread on underrated reggae singers? http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76337/P0/
    A lot of great suggestions in there.

Generally speaking, these singers' songs are considered classic and they also happen to have some of the most beautiful, soulful voices of any genre.
    Cornell Campbell
    John Holt
    Marcia Griffiths
    Gregory Isaacs
    Cocoa Tea
    Dennis Brown
    Horace Andy
    Ken Boothe

Not necessarily 'roots' reggae, though definitely foundation
    Alton Ellis
    Slim Smith
    Desmond Dekker

• asstro said:

Now, don't get me wrong, I've loved this album pretty much since it was released (the Not Just Knee Deep 45 was one of the first records I specifically bought for myself), but it has been so played out and over praised by people who never dug deep into the Funkadelic catalog that I haven't given it a good listen in a long long time. Then one night a week or two ago someone put the full 15 minute version of Knee Deep on the jukebox at a bar I was in and it was like hearing the song for the first time again, I was totally captivated by how amazing a song it was. The next day I listened to the whole LP and damn if I wasn't amazed. It's been in almost daily rotation for me since then, it really is one of the greatest records I know. It's kind of criminal that it's going to be left off of the Soul Strut 100 because we all tend to play it off like P-Funk isn't a big deal, but fuck that, this record is better than the vast majority of the 100.

"knee deep" murders every time but it's not on "one nation" but the subsequent "uncle jam" record. that said, i still come back to "one nation", not so much for the title cut which i am kind of immune to at this point but for songs like "cholly" and "who says..." with those sick, popping bass lines and the funny, clever "promentalshit..."

uncle jam is pretty good as an album, "field manouvers" is tight.

p-funk is a huge deal. i still play those records as much as anything.

Yep, total brain fart there. Still my point remains, Soul Strut is wrong for fronting on P-funk in the 100. And I was denying myself by not listening to One Nation for so long.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Mothership Connection was naturally the foundation/staple, but Motor Booty Affair has long been my go-to Parliament album.

• Given the fact I'd owned Pet Sounds since the age of 19/20 it's crazy that I didn't get listening to these until about 15 years later.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    asstro said:
    Yep, total brain fart there. Still my point remains, Soul Strut is wrong for fronting on P-funk in the 100. And I was denying myself by not listening to One Nation for so long.

Doesnt the Rockist wanked on Maggotbrain count?

batmon said:
    asstro said:

Maggot Brain is great, but is it better than One Nation, or Funkentelechy, or Motor Booty? Very debatable.

• asstro said:
    Funkentelechy

if i could only keep one p-funk album it would be this one. "syndrome, twiddlee-dee dum, hum drum, but don't succumb!"

• gordon_gartrell said:

I wasn't getting this at all when I first heard it. Shelved it for several years and just recently tried again. Now I'm completely hooked.

I consider myself a Fleetwood Mac fan and I've never even heard this album - flip past it all the time. Is it considered a classic by some? I will check it out.

SP 1200 said:

Given the fact I'd owned Pet Sounds since the age of 19/20 it's crazy that I didn't get listening to these until about 15 years later.

I like Sunflower, haven't listened to it for ages and ages but I think I remember side 2 having some good mellow flavour. Never listened to Surf's Up properly either.

And for myself it's probably:

I stupidly had Led Zeppelin down as a band I wouldn't like. Lumped in with tepid cock rock bands and also in the 'too much material to tackle' pile with The Who etc. This is dumb as I hate it when people do the same with The Beatles and The Stones. Anyway, heard No Quarter again and was blown away. Now I'm feeling the whole thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    asstro said:
    batmon said:
    asstro said:

Maggot Brain is great, but is it better than One Nation, or Funkentelechy, or Motor Booty? Very debatable.

MaggotBrain/Thriller = White People

One Nation/Off The Wall = Black People

• I stupidly had Led Zeppelin down as a band I wouldn't like. Lumped in with tepid cock rock bands and also in the 'too much material to tackle' pile with The Who etc.

Dude.

You've got some listening to do. Lucky you.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Damn, so dope. Only recently did I start listening to this.

• yuichi said:

Damn, so dope. Only recently did I start listening to this.

what?... WHAT?
    awesome

• gordon_gartrell said:

I wasn't getting this at all when I first heard it. Shelved it for several years and just recently tried again. Now I'm completely hooked.

I know I know, it's a Dj Shadow sample, but Brown Eyes is some good shit. Mellow groover.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm not even sure Van fans think Common One is a classic, but I rediscovered it a few years ago, after having only a passing familiarity with it when it came out, and when it was panned mercilessly.

If you've ever skipped past this record in a dollar bin or wherever, my advice to you is that next time you pick it up.

• J i m s t e r said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    joni mitchell- heijra

Her best work, IMHO. Everything works for me.

Jim- i recently came to that same conclusion. such a unique, wonderful sound (my favourite jaco thing as well). you ever notice this one, is it an acknowledged bite?

Rishan said:
    Alice Coltrane.

always thought it was religious harp (i don't like either things) music, so never really got to checking the albums properly. oops. Journey... and Ptah... are amazing. still not into the others yet, as there seems to be no Joe Henderson or Pharoah Sanders, but maybe they are growers...

rishan: i think you might enjoy this one:

but the one you really need is this one:

"gospel trane" = "tomorrow's trane" by gsh

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I know Jaco first mostly through his work with Joni.
    He is often panned here and I have never known why.

I recently heard her talking about Jaco.
    She said before him every bass player she worked with (Max Bennett, Wilton Felder...) were always asking about chord changes and structure. She never new the answers, she wrote by ear and didn't know the names of the chords in the opening tunings she worked out. Jaco never asked, just started playing and instinctively understood what she was trying to do.