Soul Strut 100: # 8 - The Meters - S/T (1969)

2»

Comments

• Horseleech said:
    Chuck_Huss said:
    kala said:
    Chuck_Huss said:
    Found this years ago still in the shrink in Lodi of all places.

I wish they had pressed mono versions of these early LPs on Josie.

Lodi?
    do tell!

Gramps lived in Lodi. Years later I would still go out there to the pumpkin patches and wineries just for nostalgia sake but would hit up some of the antique stores, never with any luck except for that one time. My girl was with me that day, she's frequently been my good luck charm.

Finger Lakes Lodi?

Sorry - Lodi, CA

as in CCR's "stuck in Lodi again"

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I ride for the Meters.

• Bon Vivant said:
    I ride for the Meters.

In both of their touring iterations ("Funky" vs. whole OG line up) I think this is my favorite currently active live band. I have seen them so many times that I have lost count. Shit is beyond uplifting and the weird mix of jam band doods, old heads, and funk nerds does not detract at all from the experience because everyone is having such a great time.

PS- What's with all the weird autistic-style troll guys on this site now? Really fucking corny.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    drbrownscelray said:
    PS- What's with all the weird autistic-style troll guys on this site now? Really fucking corny.

Agreed.

There are two unreleased bonus cuts on the 2001 CD reissue. The "Look of Love" cover is aiight, but this is great:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "Cardova" is the shit. Any time I need to make an important decision, this song plays in my head.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    love

• I picked up a clean original copy in Manhattan last week for $5! What a solid listen all the way through...minimalist funk at it's finest.

• kala said:
    GatorToof said:
    Aren't the Meters a commercial group?

Didn't they start out doing tv jingles?

Sorry, I just can't ride for The Meters because their tracks do not really align with what my concept of music is...except for the quite space between tracks, ofcourse that part is similar to the quite space between tracks on other records, too.

:P

if you don't like the meters then you really don't belong here

I agree.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    I picked up a clean original copy in Manhattan last week for $5! What a solid listen all the way through...minimalist funk at it's finest.

where?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Found yesterday in a giant 45 collection - apparently some kind of homemade 7" pic sleeve:

• leonleon 883 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    toby.d said:
    I also really dig the cover. Understated, clever and cool.

Agreed. Literal cover art can get really tacky, but the austerity of those actual meters on the cover is tastefully done.

The cover to me looks like one of those stock covers. Like the sun dail, sunset, etc. ones.
    Never mind the cover this album is funk at it's finest.

• kala said:
    crazypoprock said:
    I picked up a clean original copy in Manhattan last week for $5! What a solid listen all the way through...minimalist funk at it's finest.

where?

not sure of the name but that spot on Bleecker street...pretty much the only record store left on Bleecker.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• 78s78s 4 Posts
    Back in the mid 70s, when I was of high school age, we used to sneak over to New Orleans, just a couple of hours from my home town.

The Funky Meters would often play at Tipitina's on Tchoipitoulas Street.

We didn't have permission, of course... as young kids but there is no way in hell you could have stopped us either.

Best live music I've ever seen, in the funk genre. Those guys are amazing.

The next generation is quite good too. Check out the New Orleans band Dumpstaphunk.

Ivan Neville's band.... really great stuff.

Phunk you. That is a compliment down in the Delta South, fyi.

Where y'at, two dat.