What's your favorite Pavement Album?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Been rediscovering a lot of stuff through Spotify. Forgot how great their catalog is.

Comments

• great poll. love pavement! i always think of threads to start about indie rock i loved in the 90s but forget by the time i get to a computer.

s&e for me, followed by WZ

• Slanted and Enchanted for me, followed closely by Crooked Rain, Crooked, Rain.

• Has to be S&C for me. Great band, out of all the indie-esque records I bought in the late 80's/early 90's Pavement and Stereolab are the two bands I come back to the most.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I discovered Pavement later, and still to this day I haven't heard Slanted & Enchanted. Wowee Zowee was the first album I heard, but my favourite is Brighten the Corners. I love the combination of Pavements weird/lofi touches and the clean production. And it's just full of great songs.

Saw them live a couple of years ago, at a festival where the people old enough to remember Pavement definitely was in a minority. But it was a great show.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Wowee Zowee for me... But they're all great really

• I think Crooked Rain is the best, but Wowee Zowee is my favorite. It's sprawling and messy, which suits that bands vibe perfectly.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Slanted and Enchanted - really fond memories of being in my 20s, in love and listening to this record, they seemed to go hand-in-hand.
    Such a good first record.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Already loved Slanted and Enchanted and would regularly play songs from it on my college radio show, but then dropped acid with a friend and listened to the album about 3 times through in a severe trance. Been imprinted on my mind ever since.

• if i had to pick one, i guess "slanted" but i think i may prefer "crooked rain".... anyhow, not to be difficult but my favourite thing they ever did was the "watery, domestic" ep...it contains one of my favourite lyrics ever: "she's the only one who always inhales, paris is stale but it's not my fault".

saw them a couple of years ago on their reunion jaunt and it really blew. ti was the third or fourth time i had seen them and it was just soooo shambolic and the second drummer (who has zero musical ability) kept intruding on the performance in various ways. also they played their two worst songs ever : "conduit for sale" and "serpentine pad"... plus there was no new material whatsoever, not that that was i went to go hear but it sort of had the feel of a cash-in.i kind of wish malkamus and sprial stairs would find some better muscians to play with.

• Their worst song is anything off Terror Twilight, which was unlistenable garbage. And I loved Brighten the Corners, mind you...

crabmongerfunk said:
    "watery, domestic" ep...it contains one of my favourite lyrics ever: "she's the only one who always inhales, paris is stale but it's not my fault".

• hey bassie, what is that jimmy smokes crack, a 45?

• Surprised at the lack of votes for Crooked Rain.

Yes - live show, white label