ATTN Batmon (and anyone else who cares): Affleck?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
bat-thoughts?

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    bassie said:
    bat-thoughts?

Affleck is a herb.

I had my hopes on Buscemi:

• He'll be fine.

Zack Snyder at the helm, tho... therein lies the problem.
    Man of Steel was a complete turd.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    He'll be fine.

Zack Snyder at the helm, tho... therein lies the problem.
    Man of Steel was a complete turd.

What he said. The franchise he's joining is not good to begin with.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    If Nolan was running the show, I could see it being pulled off. With Snyder :ehhx2:

But I'll give Affleck a chance. Tho if it's anything close to Daredevil :ehhx2:

Remember how people lost their shit when Heath Ledger was cast as Joker? Or Michael Keaton was the same reaction...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive already went in on Facebook.

The Dark Knight Returns is Frank Miller's Opus. From that popularity Batman w/ Micheal Keaton arrives and everything since has been influenced from that series. Before that shit blew up Frank Miller was developing that feel in Daredevil.
    Years later Miller was a consultant on the Daredevil film w/ Affleck as the Matt Murdock.
    To me the "reality" comic book film starts at that film.
    Murdock comes home and pops pills, takes sensory deprivation saly baths, pulls out teeth, and ignores phone messages from lady friends.
    Meanwhile Spider-Man is for the children. And down the line Nolan creates a "more realistic" Superhero environment.
    Affleck is a classic white boy with plenty of suave factor to match George Clooney's Bruce Wayne.

BUT....

I think DC is jumping the gun here and busting its nut too fast in order to catch up "TEMPORARILY" w/ the Marvel film momentum.
    Marvel has established Hulk(to a degree), Captain America, and decent Thor,and the highly successful Iron Man Trilogy, while raising the Superhero Film bar w/ The Avengers. They have SLOWLY built their roster. In the next couple of years, we will get Thor 2 &3, Capt. America 2 &3, and The Avengers 2 & 3, with Robert Downey Jr. still drawing tickets as Iron Man somewhere throughout this run.

DC has grabbed an A-Lister who has more recognition than Cahill(Superman) to come out in the follow-up to the Superman Reboot.
    The reboot which I thought was to establish Superman as the ground zero for their upcoming projects. I think entering Batman right after the Nolan Trilogy is too early. They could have waited to introduce him in the third installment, so Cahill settles in as the MAIN muthafucka of the game. They are now tapping into Frank Miller's Dark Knight, with an older (probably 40something Batman) who will fight Superman in the next joint. So u skip over Lex Luthor and Braniac.....fine, but I dont see how theyre gonna top this Don King shit down the line.
    So your telling me that Superman and a 40+ year old Batman is going to paired up w/ The Flash, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern in the Justice League project? Especially after youve rebooted the entire DC Universe w/ 52 where Batman and them are all the same age???

The timing is all incorrect in my opinion, and by the time Marvel is done w/ their shit, this jumping of the gun wont mean anything.

So I dont have a problem w/ Affleck as Batman, even though Im historically a dude that hatts when dudes play different Superheros. Like when Ryan Reynolds played Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins, Hannibal King in Blade 3, and Hal Jordan/Green Lantern.
    I think DC should be pacing themselves, IF they viewed this "Superhero Film Race" as a marathon and not a sprint. Shit....Marvel still has 2 more muthafuckin Spider-Man flicks to work with, and yall are alraedy teaming a one movie hero up w/ arguabley the most popular Superhero ever? Way to eclipse your own product.

Shit....and we just got this for home video.....

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Affleck and Garner were horrendous in Daredevil and basically ruined the movie. I'm not saying they lack talent, just that their range clearly stops at action hero with a gritty past.

• JectWon said:
    bassie said:
    bat-thoughts?

Affleck is a herb.

I had my hopes on Buscemi:

• Bassie changed her avatar!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    volumen said:
    Affleck and Garner were horrendous in Daredevil and basically ruined the movie. I'm not saying they lack talent, just that their range clearly stops at action hero with a gritty past.

That movie's shortcomings were more the fault of the writing and direction than of the leads. I watched it again just a few weeks ago, and Affleck's performance is much better than most people would have you believe. The critics came down hard on him over shit like Gigli/Bennifer and four consecutive years of Razzie nominations, the public sucked up the received wisdom, and ten years later it's still sticking fast.

DocMcCoy said:
    volumen said:

That movie's shortcomings were more the fault of the writing and direction than of the leads. I watched it again just a few weeks ago, and Affleck's performance is much better than most people would have you believe. The critics came down hard on him over shit like Gigli/Bennifer and four consecutive years of Razzie nominations, the public sucked up the received wisdom, and ten years later it's still sticking fast.

Bingo.

The love story was kinda corny, but Affleck's Matt Murdock & Daredevil was fine.

Im on record reppin' Daredevil hard.
    Ill take that shit over Spider-Man 3 w/ the James Brown Emo Peter Parker.

I'd reccommend checkin the Daredevil Director's Cut, for a slight better version.

Affleck can pull this off.

Nolan is an executive producer behind Man Of Steel, and its obvious they have take cues from Batman and have "darkened/more realistic" Superman for the Nolan reared audience. Affleck with fit right in w/ the "Miller" material.

I havent seen Man of Steel though....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DARK KNIGHT RETURNS animated joints were cool
    1st one def better than second one though

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Bassie changed her avatar!

lol It was my favourite reaction to the hot mess that was Robin Miley (of her sanity)

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Affleck is supposed to help write the script and give some creative direction.
    He has been doing a good job with his last few movies so I think the movie will be good.

Thanks for your posts Batmon, I'm hardly a comic reader so the info is great

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Affleck is supposed to help write the script and give some creative direction.
    He has been doing a good job with his last few movies so I think the movie will be good.
    That's good to know. Man of Steel didn't do it for me - there was a good movie in there somwhere and a great story they COULD have focused on, instead of the dragged-out fight scenes that just bored me to tears after awhile. I'm not sure every new big movie has to be 2 and a half hours long.

• I wonder who will play the next Batman, after Affleck?

• bryan cranston has signed on to do SIX movies as lex luthor. that would include all of the superman movies and subsequent justice league crossovers.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    volumen said:

Bingo.

The love story was kinda corny, but Affleck's Matt Murdock & Daredevil was fine.

I'd reccommend checkin the Daredevil Director's Cut, for a slight better version.

Nolan is an executive producer behind Man Of Steel, and its obvious they have take cues from Batman and have "darkened/more realistic" Superman for the Nolan reared audience. Affleck with fit right in w/ the "Miller" material.

I re-watched it a couple weeks ago and thought it was almost worse than I remember. There is no way I can picture Garner as Elektra. The sand bag scene with her is the worst. I agree Affleck was fine and he and Favreau worked well together. I just think someone else could have done it better. In general the story was fine but it had too many corny elements.

volumen said:
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    volumen said:

Bingo.

I re-watched it a couple weeks ago and thought it was almost worse than I remember. There is no way I can picture Garner as Elektra. The sand bag scene with her is the worst. I agree Affleck was fine and he and Favreau worked well together. I just think someone else could have done it better. In general the story was fine but it had too many corny elements.

Garner was a weak choice for Elektra. I wish they would have gone w/ a more Olive skinned Greek brunette instead of an American.

It did do well enough, despite most of the critics hart, to spawn an Elektra movie.