Comedy on the Return

GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
A local comedy group started hosting a show on the college radio station at the beginning of 2013. Since then, they have jumped on every opportunity to perfom live. Ranging from open mic night at cafes to the monthly poetry night at an art gallery. Recently, they have started having house shows and getting fresh comedians from everywhere to participate, even the Bay Area. The grand finale house show featured a mosh pit. Now, the people in the house where the comedians had shows are moving and they just were offered an event at one of the largest venue in town. Furthermore, a lot of folks involved are really quite into records.

Is there a new interest being cultivated in comedy records; live shows? Has there always been; do you go to comedy clubs? If so, plaese to share/ take2skool some of your favorite comedy clubs, comedians, comedy records.

Have a great day,
GT

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was dragged to a Comedy Club last month. I havent been to one since like '99 and shit.

It was fun, but its a bit forced.

That Nigger's Crazy is my GOAT Comedy album.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Coincidentally, I'm going to a show later tonight after work. I have never heard of any of the comics, but maybe some of you have: Andy Sell, Nick Malis, Joe Dosch, Laura Crawford, Susanna Lee, Leonard Robinson and Lizzy Pilcher

• It's the Festival here at the moment so seen Adam Buxton, Andrew Maxwell and Glen Wool.

All were pretty good but Adam Buxton was the best.

• Would love to come across this...

"Hey Perty, perty..."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Comedy threads at SS are historically WACK.

• I found the Will Rogers Lp on Distinction Records, Inc. to be really quite amazing. The recordings are from 1935 so I had to listen to the album a few times, and read the information on the back, before I could begin to understand the context.

I wish I could have seen America in the 40's.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    This has recently been released on Drag City records - hilarious!

• Rustledust said:
    It's the Festival here at the moment so seen Adam Buxton, Andrew Maxwell and Glen Wool.

All were pretty good but Adam Buxton was the best.

Saw Simon Evans record his 2012 show for CD at the Stand a couple weeks ago, very good show. Got tickets for Michael Che at Assembly Rooms this Saturday and will catch another couple shows too.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Years ago I went to the Comedy Cellar in NY and Chris Rock made a special, unannounced and unexpected appearance to try out some new material. Last week the same exact thing happened to a friend of mine at the same exact place. Then she went to a different spot the next night and Louis C.K. made a special, unannounced and unexpected appearance. Doesn't really have any relevance to the discussion at hand though. Carry on.

• I saw Louis CK's last tour. It was great. Then I caught the HBO special and it was almost identical. That may sound wack, but to me it showed how pro that dude is. He seemed so casual when I saw him, but then watching the taping you could tell he's got the casual delivery mastered. Impressive.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Two weeks ago I was in Vegas with the family and caught Eddie Griffin in a real small room at the Rio. He was drunk and hilarious. I try to see Paul Mooney every time he's in the Bay. He's never disappointed. The same could not be said about Dave Chappelle who I saw a year or two ago in SF. We went to the second show. The people walking out the first one said he was great. 10 minutes into our show however this heckler got to him, and he spent the next 1 1/2 hours just rambling on about this guy in the crowd instead of doing his routine. Guy is obviously very moody and still upset that he lost his TV series. Charlie Murphy put on a great show with a lot of jokes about topics I wasn't expecting. Finally, I've gone to Second City in Chicago for the last 10 years every summer while on vacation which is a mix of skits and improv that my girl and I love. We got hooked on that after seeing Second City in Toronto several years before. Almost forgot, caught Second City in Vegas and Reno while they were doing a tour.

P.S. - When I was in middle and high school my friend and I use to listen to Richard Pryor records all the time. My friend heard them so many times he could repeat more than half the jokes.

• cai said:
    This has recently been released on Drag City records - hilarious!

Bought the CD version of this today and I'm looking forward to listening to it on our next long car trip. Comedy albums to me these days are car albums.

For those who have Netflix I recommend "Beer Hall Putsch" by Doug Stanhope, which just debuted.

• motown67 said:
    Charlie Murphy put on a great show with a lot of jokes about topics I wasn't expecting.

Very funny bastard who should be HUGE.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've been enjoying Tig Notaro lately. Her stool movement bit on Conan was really funny to me.