No posts about THAT Kendrick verse?

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is calling out Drake that big of a challenge?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:
    Is calling out Drake that big of a challenge?

exactly. like I said if I'm Drake I'm thrilled KL was even thinking of him as he ran through the mental list of rappers he's superior to. KL kinda played himself by mentioning that dude IMO.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    As much as you guys hate to admit or acknowledge it, Drake is sitting at the top of rap/pop right now. Plus he's collaborated with respected rappers ("lyrics, yo!") including Kendrick himself. Why wouldn't he list him?!

I've been thinking lately that eventually the time will come when even the most close-minded "real rap, yo!" fans will shrug their shoulders and accept the dude. Whether it's one song he does that earns their respect or maybe they'll just realize he ain't going anywhere or maybe someone even softer and cornier then him will come along. (I know, that last one's a stretch.)

And if you couldn't tell by those words, I'm not a fan of the guy. (Yet?) I don't like cats either but when my lady's kitten jumps in my lap I don't throw it off me.

Herm said:
    they'll just realize he ain't going anywhere .

I can't think of a lamer reason for acquiescing to wack music.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:
    they'll just realize he ain't going anywhere .

I can't think of a lamer reason for acquiescing to wack music.

Me neither, but it happens.

And everybody's version of wack is different. To some, Drake is king and lots of folks think he's realer than most other rappers 'cause he's not afraid to speak on "soft" feelings/emotions that some "hard" mothereffers like to pretend they don't have. (I can understand that point of view to an extent. I know all kinds of tough ass "player" types that hate Drake's music but turn all emo and become the physical embodiment of his music when they're going through emotional drama with their lady.) But I also think it's hilarious when he acts all hoooaaard and shit 'cause that's obviously not him.

I'm ramblin' now. Oh well.

• Herm said:
    And if you couldn't tell by those words, I'm not a fan of the guy. (Yet?) I don't like cats either but when my lady's kitten jumps in my lap I don't throw it off me.

Best analogy and reason why I don't slap my car radio too hard when Drizzle comes on. (i just groan and give it 10 seconds).

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    You better be nice to kitty, Herm !

• Herm said:
    but when my lady's kitten jumps in my lap I don't throw it off me.

I should hope not!

B/w

I cannot even begin to front on "Started From The Bottom"

B/b/w

I still hate

B/b/b/w

Go Kendrick!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Been listening to this shit seevral times and all the responses last night. A few things that I concluded.

- The Control beat is pretty average. And I don't like the use of 'el pueblo unido...' sample.

- Sean's verse is sub par but Jay Elec's verse is good...unfortunately its shadowed by K Dots mega blast

- Kendricks verse aint his best but even his average is better than a lot of dudes best shit, he has plenty of good lines and I like the fact he named names... I feel he really means it as opposed to someone like Game doing it (which you know would be for attention only). No one with half a brain can see it as a full blown diss, I think he framed it all very smartly and what he is saying is the truth...every rapper competes with every other rapper. Im sure even the Slaughterhouse dudes try to kill each other on tracks.

- Al the responses so far that Ive heard are pretty piss weak. So far Ive heard Joells, Mysoones, Fred The Godsons, Cassidys, B.O.Bs and Lupes. Good on them for having a crack at it, but it just makes Kendrick appear stronger.

- According to Sean, Kendrick laid his vocals last after Sean and Jay, and Sean says he decided not to be a bitch and redo his verse. I also call bullshit on the song not coming out due to sample clearances, I just think Sean didnt want to have the shit on his album cus he knows it would have overshadowed all other songs.

I really dig Young Guru and 9th Wonder's take on it all... just funny seeing dudes really get into this shit

• handmade_tortillas said:
    back in the days growing up these debates were over community crisis and social change.
    now were debating a kid from compton's rap diss.

Nerd alert!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    LokoOne said:

- The Control beat is pretty average.

So average that I didn't even hang around long enough to hear the diss. I'm just learning about it from this thread. Then again, I'm not hardcroe into the rapps like I once was.

• It's a music discussion on a music based message board. And does the fact that he's from Compton make it any less worth discussing?

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    How did this thread go 3 pages with no mention of the Zen master?

The only response that's mattered thus far..

• handmade_tortillas said:
    back in the days growing up these debates were over community crisis and social change.
    now were debating a kid from compton's rap diss.

Hahaha!

You must be from a strange place, or are really really old

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Over 20 pages of people going back and forth about Trayvon Martin and Israel Hernandez doesn't count as debating about community crises? ...on a music message board.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    LokoOne said:

2:51 Yung Guru said 'zeitgeist of the culture' and was serious as hell...I had to tap out.

This shit is hilarious...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Drake. SMH, the hip-hop shark isn't jumping, it's flying.
    [strike]Business class, naturally.[/strike] Fuck that, what am I saying - Learjet.

• I finally heard this on the radio today. They only played it through Kendrick's verse. I can say, with certainty, he did murder Big Sean on this. Kendrick sounds hip-hop, Big Sean sounds after-school program.

• Anyway, it's stupid, all the controversy. Only people mad are those not mentioned in the verse. the rest are mostly his homies. He's just saying they're relevant.

That Phil Jackson part was outta line but Phil sonned him, haha!!!

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    JectWon said:

This shit is hilarious...

Killed me!!

I'm surprised he hasn't been clowned harder for "One hand, I juggle them both." He's just asking for a "pause" there.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Is Papoose's comeback the hardest yet? I can't help but think 'who cares' though. That's his thing isn't it? When was the last time you wanted to play a Papoose song in your car or just vibe to one...

uh Papoose clowns dude for wearing a diaper...in a baby picture.

so no, I'd say it was pretty weak.