Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    utters said:
    ^

I picked this up on DVD when I was in brazil last

It's awesome

Have some of the Ensaio DVDs too; MPB4, Ivan Lins

Wish there was a Novos Baianos one

Novos Baianos did an episode of Ensaio, there are clips on youtube and I'd be surprised if they didn't put it out on dvd. It's such a great series too, one of the few brazilian tv series that's consistently good. They still produce it to this day, same format and everything. Their archive must be insane, there are probably some forgotten gems in there.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Wow a Novos Baianos Ensaio; amazing

Whenever I go into a CD shop in Brazil, it's like going digging, i.e you're never really sure what youre going to get. There's no consistency. I mean, the Jackson Do Pandeiro was next to some total bullshit pop DVD

One time, in Lojas Americanas (Brazil's budget homeware chain) I got a Hall & Oates DVD, a full set from Germany's Musik Laden show from 1974-5. It bought tears of joy to my eyes when I saw it

However, it would be nice to walk into a shop there and actually be able to ask for something, and them have it.

This is Savador though. SP/Rio has better options

one time I found a dvd of Ginger Baker in Africa (that crazy film about him going to visit Fela) in the clearance bin of a huge department store (I think it was FNAC, which is more upscale) in S??o Paulo. I'd say you have a better chance of finding some random gem than finding what you're actually looking for in most of those stores.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    one time I found a dvd of Ginger Baker in Africa (that crazy film about him going to visit Fela) in the clearance bin of a huge department store (I think it was FNAC, which is more upscale) in S??o Paulo. I'd say you have a better chance of finding some random gem than finding what you're actually looking for in most of those stores.

Yeah I've been there, you'd have a better chance, but will still inevitably leave without what you wanted and carrying some random shit. Good shit though

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Just remembered actually... on the Ivan Lins Ensaio I have, Arthur Verocai is on guitar!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    you guys are making me want to book a trip agora
    brigado pelos videos

Os Incr??veis during their hippie vest phase, biting Hendrix:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    utters said:
    Just remembered actually... on the Ivan Lins Ensaio I have, Arthur Verocai is on guitar!

Yeah, but it's still Ivan Lins singing.

Os Mutantes live and in color, with full orchestra backing. Bonus points for Arnaldo Baptista's meggings!

bonus:

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    utters said:

Yeah, but it's still Ivan Lins singing.

Haha... hey, Modo Livre is a GREAT album though

another awesome Ensaio episode - Gal Costa with Som Imagin??rio. Shame the audio sucks so much.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    another awesome Ensaio episode - Gal Costa with Som Imagin??rio. Shame the audio sucks so much.

+ a very youthful Tom Z??

was just checking these out:

at points it's a little too close to that putumayo vibe, but I like the singers and the fact that they're doing the whole erudite afro-brazilian music thing that had been kind of dead for the past few decades (as far as I know). Ju??ara Mar??al sings in the group Met?? Met??, her and the other two members, Kiko Dinucci and Thiago Fran??a, have all been involved in some pretty amazing projects lately.

behold the glory of Fernando Santos' Disco Umbanda:

boomp

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Wow, I can't believe I've never seen this! I love Gal Costa.. I wish there was more info on Som imaginario on the web.

ppadilha said:
    Os Mutantes live and in color, with full orchestra backing. Bonus points for Arnaldo Baptista's meggings!

LOL, I'm going to ask Sergio about those pants. Next time I see him.

- damo

SPlDEY said:
    I wish there was more info on Som imaginario on the web.

There's actually a lot if you look around - most of the members were well known musicians in Brazil even before coming together in 1970 under that name to back Milton Nascimento. They basically came out of the Clube da Esquina.

this is cool (except for the sound cutting off halfway through): Clementina de Jesus & Odair Cabeça de Poeta:

these concerts look like they were a good time

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    70+ video playlist:

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    mickalphabet said:

Holy shit, that's a great resource. Thanks!

- Spidey

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Afternoon well spent.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    holy shit
    i will watch one a week for a year

thanks so much...portuguese practicisng and music knoledge dropped

Alceu Valença having a freak out with Zé Ramalho, Lula Cortes and apparently most of Ave Sangria behind him:

ppadilha said:
    Alceu Valença having a freak out with Zé Ramalho, Lula Cortes and apparently most of Ave Sangria behind him:

Theoretically I should love this, but it kind of bugs me.

On a related note, I've heard that there was a Brazil-only live Ave Sangria CD that blows the album away - ever see/hear of this?

Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

Theoretically I should love this, but it kind of bugs me.

On a related note, I've heard that there was a Brazil-only live Ave Sangria CD that blows the album away - ever see/hear of this?

there were better songs from that period of his, but apparently this was the only song they recorded for some Globo special.

I think the Ave Sangria live album is called Perfumes y Baratchos, taken from a concert of theirs from 1974. I have it on my computer but it's been a while since I've listened to anything of theirs so I can't confirm if it blows their album away. They've recently reunited and have been performing around the country, not sure if that's a good thing.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Shit becomes literally surreal half way through (1:45). Witness the madness that is Gal Costa, replete with several gif-worthy moments.

Btw, "meu nom e Gal" means "my name is Gal"...
    ketanPickles

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts