Digging at Thrift Shops

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2005 in Record Collecting
Anybody coming up at Thrift Stores anymore?Seems like 4-5 years ago I was coming the fuck up and now... I haven't had a decent thrift store find in maybe a year. I recently hit up 7 thrift shops in Virginia and found zilch. What gives?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Too many people looking for records

Everybody who owns old records thinking they're sitting on a gold mine

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Ebay mafia being connected to the thrift directly. When stuff comes in, they get it. I'm right there with you on thrifts though. I think there are some out there, they are just hard to find noawadays.
    T.N.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I still come up at thrift shops all the time. but, I have no job & hit the same ones about twice a weeks.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    definately cosign on people sitting on their records...

just this summer there have been TWO front page articles in our cities newspaper talking about records, and how they are "coming back." so i can easily see how people are thinking they have the uber raer shit, and are like "ill save these and sell them later" which means they will just give them to the thrift stores in a few years...its like anything, shit goes around in circles, so hold your knickerz

for example, my grandpappy just moved out of his house and into an "assisted living" type deal...he had MAD records that he didnt want me to have because he still listened to them, but after he moved, he just left them there. my mom flew up to long island to help with the move and i was all "mom, get me those fucking records." so she calls me up in a couple days and is all "your uncle (who is buying the house from my g-pa) is keeping the records to sell, he says they are probably worth money" ...what the fuck! he doesnt know shit about records, and doesnt collect, just being a greedy fucker (and hes a multimillionare anyways), left me heated...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I don't come up like I used to you but on occassion it's all worth it. You'd be surprised what e-bayers and diggers leave behind.

You'd be surprised what e-bayers and diggers leave behind.

TRUTH

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

exactly.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Like Harvey Averne VIVA SOUL on Atlantic - just copped that a few months ago at a Goodwill... right before one of the area's old head dealer/collectors walked in to scour the stacks.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    that Seinfeld where Newman and Kramer are all keyed up about the old mans crappy record collection was on last night...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Anybody coming up at Thrift Stores anymore?

All of the records are filtering through so many people before hitting the shelves that it is really hard to come up on anything. Every now and then the employees will slip and let a raer get by but hardly ever do I find anything in the thrifts anymore that can't found anywhere else.

that Seinfeld where Newman and Kramer are all keyed up about the old mans crappy record collection was on last night...

FIVE BUCKS, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? THERE'S AL JOLSON IN HERE, AL JOLSON!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I still am. Haven't in awhile since my accident, as I've been low on $$$. Nothing new, though:
    http://www.john-book.com/thrift/

• yeah seriously. i hit up these two about 4-5 times a week. i haven't bought anything there in about 2 months. anything! not even anything let alone anything good.

i remember i went to every thrift store in stockton and found about 10 records. that was about 16 thrift stores. the best thing i found was ramsey lewis-maiden voyage and odessa file soundtrack. oh and a sealed copy of that motherlode album.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    . I recently hit up 7 thrift shops in Virginia and found zilch. What gives?

you must have visited them after me
    last 3 weeks $100 = 200 thrift store lps
    including over a dozen raers

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts

Unless you live in some backwoods town like me. It's easy to be the record king of you're town's 10 thrifts when there's no competition.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

Unless you live in some backwoods town like me. It's easy to be the record king of you're town's 10 thrifts when there's no competition.

hell yeas.

I used to run the whole thrift circuit like three times a week when I was in school. one of the highlights included intercepting a nice lady and her vanload of her uncle's vinyl...she was pulling into a Salvation Army and saw me holding a couple records...asked if I was interested in her records, and I said "but of course". She gave me the pick of the records, pulled out several grips of some dang good ones, all in great shape, and free!

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    I just hit up the Thrift Store in Virginia on Rt-50 and Glebe yesterday, which used too have mad records, and there was nothing. Its like someone is filtering out all good stuff. Sucka's

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    definately cosign on people sitting on their records...

for example, my grandpappy just moved out of his house and into an "assisted living" type deal...he had MAD records that he didnt want me to have because he still listened to them, but after he moved, he just left them there. my mom flew up to long island to help with the move and i was all "mom, get me those fucking records." so she calls me up in a couple days and is all "your uncle (who is buying the house from my g-pa) is keeping the records to sell, he says they are probably worth money" ...what the fuck! he doesnt know shit about records, and doesnt collect, just being a greedy fucker (and hes a multimillionare anyways), left me heated...

you should call up your uncle and tell him to stop being a fucking jerkoff and to give you the records. i'm sure you're grandpappy would much rather them stay in the family rather than your uncle trying to sell them, realizing they aren't worth shit, and giving them to good will.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Unless you live in some backwoods town like me.

Yup. James Brown - Please Please Please for 50 cents? Sure!

I just hit up the Thrift Store in Virginia on Rt-50 and Glebe yesterday, which used too have mad records, and there was nothing. Its like someone is filtering out all good stuff. Sucka's

yes, a major sponge controls the intake @ that goodwill,
    which is the drop off spot for about a dozen NOVA stores
    dude vacums any good latin/international/jazz/psyche etc
    still found a couple of heat records there last week,
    he misses now & then, but he is a major roadblock for any obvious
    i thinks he ebays it & kicks something back to goodwill
    + this area is sick with dealers, diggers, collectors & civilians
    who know about the thrifts

arlington civitan yardsale september 3rd, nuff nuff vinyl !

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have definitely noticed that finding decent records at thrift stores is way harder than it was several years ago. Every now & then I find stuff, but really it's only once every 4 months or so that I feel a thrift store dig has been worth it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I come up on good stuff... not the obvious ones, but still some heat. I bring a lunch to work every day and go to the thrifts instead of eating out. There's 5 within a close enough proximity to work that I can get back in plenty of time. Even when I don't come up on anything, it's still better than work.

2 Greyship Daviz 12's in 6 months... nothing to complain about.

DJ Ferrari

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I could care less about being a record king, but it's great to get stuff that people could care less about.

Can I say "care less" again? Sure.

• i got an arm full of wicked jazz a few weeks ago. the best part was this other collecter showed up right after me and was probably bummed out. i was smiling for the rest of the day.

charlie parker, sonny rollins, john handy, cannonball adderly...

it was a good dig. 14 records for $9. you cant go wrong. good digs.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Y'all should of jumped on the Moder Soul bandwagon, I'm finding tons of good stuff at my local thrifts, but then again I've always thought my area was great when it came to records (large latin & black population, not too many diggers looking around here. Tons of turnover at the ghetto thrifts)

Jump Jump Dan:[/b] Next time your in covina, I'ma put you up on the Lark Ellen & Arrow Hwy steez

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    . I recently hit up 7 thrift shops in Virginia and found zilch. What gives?

you must have visited them after me
    last 3 weeks $100 = 200 thrift store lps
    including over a dozen raers

This is in the Norfolk area . VA Beach area where I came up like a mug in 2001... now nathan.

There are 5 thrifts that I hound religiously... the goodwill and salvation army have been dismal for over a year but previous to that some decent digs. The independent ones I have found some insanity but they are still not as good as it once was. Conspiracy theorey, I think so.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I've never come up on anything in anything resembling good condition at a thrift store.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Its hard to come out with some rare jointz for me, but I always can pick up some funny ish.

I came out with doubles of "Automatic" by the Pointer Sisters last week . I got my dancers on lock with those jumpoff's..

Conspiracy theorey, I think so.

There are definitely some employees in cahoots

But I seriously think there is also just less volume of quality being dropped off

I stopped checking thrifts shortly after I started working parttime at my favorite record store- generally higher quality grabs with MUCH less work put in... I just don't have the patience for thrifts anymore

Its hard to come out with some rare jointz for me, but I always can pick up some funny ish.

I came out with doubles of "Automatic" by the Pointer Sisters last week . I got my dancers on lock with those jumpoff's..

yo, so many sealed copies, so many

wantabuya j blackfoot taxi ??