Collection Wholesale

GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
The perverbal "all-in" of record collecting...

Collection Wholesale can stir up a fuss if the sale goes through undercutting the market. Yet, many of the top collectors would rather pick out the "selects" than have to deal with the other "common" slices or the records that are outside their area of specialization.

Please share some fun experiences, stories, and explain the advantages and disadvantages you've had when going in on a Collection Wholesale.

Comments

• Is this one of those answer yourself with your other alias threads?

• Here is one good morning story:

Somehow part of the KSOL collection ended up in Sacramento. Rappin' With Mr. Magic 12" was found there by a paid picker and quickly sold to a guy in Japan. Within the week the entire collection was purchased and put into a 15' x 15' storage unit. A second 5' x 6' storage unit was rented and used to buck ($1) out and wholesale the KSOL collection by genre (rap 12s, disco 12s, soul Lps, rnb Lps) .

A pretty simple example with the intial investment of basically gas and some good luck resulted in a major score.

The advantages was the Mr. Magic 12" at such a low price and the location of the load being close to traveling bay area dj's. The disadvantages were having to catagorize the records and rent a second storage unit.

Have a great day.

• handmade_tortillas said:
    thats cool. thanks for sharing gator toof.

You are welcome. By-the-way, what do you mean cool?

You mean it didn't require much energy, it worked both very high and very low margins, or it took advantage of a highly volatile fad (being the rare 12")?

The wholesale I am working on right now is 1500+ nearly new classic rock and soul (seperated by genre) 45's priced at $400.

The soulies have been reduced by picky, the rock is a fresh batch. All sleeved, no garbage, and in alphabetical order.

The advantage is that they are ready to play and can be cataloged quickly...I will probably get my arm twisted with this one because they are 45's and 45 djs are special, however; I've had so much fun organizing them.

• Agggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Make it stop!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Can't Soulstrut sell it's collection of Gaturtoofs?

Thxbai

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    he's actually a CIA/DARPA created bot

• leonleon 883 Posts

• kala said:
    he's actually a CIA/DARPA created bot

no more high fructose-r 7s for you, sir.

BTW, it is always a bad look when the first question a potential buyer asks at the meet up spot is, "how much did you pay?"

• PLURPLUR 28 Posts
    UGuyz!!!!! I wuz jus gonna strt a thred aboutt thie saim topik butt tha meean librrurian kiked me of uv tha computr n tha libury!!!!!!!! U red my mind!! 1 tiem mi frend Kylee said she new abot a gay who wiz selln a HUUUGE GIGATNIC colllectshin uv jumpup JUNGLE BREAKZ!!!! he wuz liven in a van in Norwalk not so far frum wherr I wuz skwatting @ tha tiem. So I wen 2 his van n THER WAER SOOOOOO MANY REKORDZ GUYZ!!!!!!! I diden hav as much cash as tha guy wantd butt I wantd tha BREAKZ soooooo bad so I gave him a bowljob n a ountce uv K n HE GAEV ME THA BRAEKZ GUYZ!!!!!!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts

Im confused as to the direction where this thread has gone. ?

This:

Im confused as to the direction where this thread has gone. ?

Sometimes DJs need to quickly sell out their whole collection, or parts of their collection, either to start over, make another investment, or just cash out and save the money.

If other strutters are comfortable sharing their experience, then this thread would be the place. The topic is really quite personal to share, especially in cyberspace, so having reservations is understood.

:liljohn:

a few years back I bought a collection of a dude who had entire james bond soundtracks scores and band albums.
    I paid $100 for about 20 records which I thought was a good deal then. Now, with the wholesale market it looks like popsike prices are down so I'm not sure I scored. But I think the value will go up now that there is an interest in UK memorabilia becuase of the new baby.
    I mean James Bond never goes out of style ether. so I thought it was a good investment.

The most wholesail 'all in' I've gone was maybe an apartment that stunk of cat piss, an old lady with the weird hair things on her face thats like facial hair but it grows in bigger. anyway, she had a lot of valuable rolling stones stuff. all of the london lp's and the get your yaya's out live record which I've never been able to find better than VG+ condition. so it was definitely a score. and that's when I had my first taste of gin too. the old lady drank it and seduced me, but that's a whole other stoiry. ha.

Stamp Collectorz