Rap You're Liking

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    If he plays Buffalo, Rochester, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh I might just jump on a train for that. I am not even entertaining the idea of him in Toronto.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cold Turkey really is that shit

Kind of annoyed that #MCHG has overwhelmed everything this week. Unjustifiably, too.

It's going to be interesting watching people playing catch-up.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    bassie said:

Ab Soul is my favourite, too, but I like Schoolboy Q's two tapes better if that makes sense lol

I get that. Ab's albums are spottier, but his verses are more likely to impress me.

ketan said:
    bassie said:

Ab Soul is my favourite, too, but I like Schoolboy Q's two tapes better if that makes sense lol

I get that. Ab's albums are spottier, but his verses are more likely to impress me.

I love both Longterm Mentality and Control System and yea, his verses are definitely his strength - I just am not sure about his range as far style goes, you know? I was hyped for his spot on Smoke Again with Chance and he could have come on a lot stronger than his regular free-association drawl. Then again, dude took a pretty hard hit last year with Alori Joh...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    bassie said:
    I just am not sure about his range as far style goes, you know?

mad acquired taste

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    pcmr said:

totally like this cd too bad action bronson blows and kills the buzz

E-40 X Danny Brown X ScHoolboy Q.

Earl Sweatshirt X Vince Staples X Casey Veggies.

• fan video :face_melt:

• I love Serengeti's new "Kenny Dennis LP" so, so much.

I can't find a link to what I think is the best song on the album ("West of Western") but you can stream it here .

He does have one video from the album, but strangely, it's a skit. Although getting Workaholics fans interested in the album might be the whole goal.

This is a lot of fun.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    heh. I was playing that earlier, and remarked to a friend that it's not nearly as bad as it should/could be. Possibly damning with faint praise, but it's a roundabout way of saying I enjoyed it.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    heh. I was playing that earlier, and remarked to a friend that it's not nearly as bad as it should/could be. Possibly damning with faint praise, but it's a roundabout way of saying I enjoyed it.

Sooner this than another round of Tru-Skool Taliban throwback bullshit.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Migos YRN mixtape
    Young Dro Day Two mixtape
    Starlito-Cold Turkey
    Gucci Mane and Young Scooter Free Bricks 2 mixtape
    Prodigy and Alchemist-Albert Einstein
    Ka-The Night's Gambit
    Gunplay Acquitted mixtape

Mike_Bell said:

I can't stop playing Bible on the Dash, same Morris Brothers' beat as Starlito's Pay it Forward.

Gunplay's Cops& Robbers is really good, too, more consistent than Acquitted I think.

I checked out Klub Monsta's tape after that YouTube clip I posted above, it's really good.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    bassie said:
    Mike_Bell said:

I can't stop playing Bible on the Dash, same Morris Brothers' beat as Starlito's Pay it Forward.

Gunplay's Cops& Robbers is really good, too, more consistent than Acquitted I think.

I checked out Klub Monsta's tape after that YouTube clip I posted above, it's really good.

That Starlito/Bible on the Dash beat is my schitt. I'll check out Cops and Robbers...Acquitted did have some joints that I skipped, so I'll take your word and check it out.

Oh, HI BASSIE...where are my manners?

Mike_Bell said:

Oh, HI BASSIE...where are my manners?

Same place as mine? lol

Greetings Mr. Mike Bell!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

The whole EP is pretty good IMO

Finally got to this and it's rap I'm liking.

Well, it's a bit of a murder scene. Big Sean has yet to impress and Jay Elec is whatever in my book, so listen to Kendrick kill it. People are losing their shit but it still doesn't come close to Look out for Detox imo.

Control - Big Sean Ft Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica

edit - I think sample clearance is an issue, song is coming down all over the place - here's this instead.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I guess the people losing their shit over this song have never really listened to KL before.

The headline is that he names names, that's really all.

bassie said:

I've seen some people acting all "meh" because he's invoking rappers "that 13 yr olds who don't know no better think are 'lyrical'" (actual quote from Twitter), and that this somehow lessens him as a rapper. Apart from this second point being utter bullshit, it ought to be obvious by now that this is the territory he's after - that occupied by lightweight pop-rappers coasting through their career on little more than charisma and the patronage of a handful of kingmakers, self-appointed or otherwise. It's not like he isn't demonstrably better than all the rappers he named.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I guess the people losing their shit over this song have never really listened to Kane before.

Duderonomy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I guess the people losing their shit over this song have never really listened to Kane before.

I really should have opened a book on this one.

That was then, this is now. Doesn't matter that you or anyone else thinks "then" was better. It doesn't even matter if "then" actually was better. Now is now. Whether or not you think the standards have fallen is beside the point - even more so if you're one of these people who it seems is always ready with an opinion on rappers they've never actually listened to. Should all literature stand or fall on how well it stacks up against Shakespeare or Homer or Tolstoy or whoever else? Or has the form as a whole, as well as the best of its modern practitioners, earned the right to be judged on its own terms?

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Duderonomy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I really should have opened a book on this one.

That was then, this is now. Doesn't matter that you or anyone else thinks "then" was better. It doesn't even matter if "then" actually was better. Now is now. Whether or not you think the standards have fallen is beside the point - even more so if you're one of these people who it seems is always ready with an opinion on rappers they've never actually listened to. Should all literature stand or fall on how well it stacks up against Shakespeare or Homer or Tolstoy or whoever else? Or has the form as a whole, as well as the best of its modern practitioners, earned the right to be judged on its own terms?

DocMcCoy said:
    bassie said:

I've seen some people acting all "meh" because he's invoking rappers "that 13 yr olds who don't know no better think are 'lyrical'" (actual quote from Twitter), and that this somehow lessens him as a rapper. Apart from this second point being utter bullshit, it ought to be obvious by now that this is the territory he's after - that occupied by lightweight pop-rappers coasting through their career on little more than charisma and the patronage of a handful of kingmakers, self-appointed or otherwise. It's not like he isn't demonstrably better than all the rappers he named.

I'm going to move this to the dedicated thread if that's ok.

Sure.

Well dang! This WW3 Lean tape is good, too!