Secret History of Kobe's Rap Career

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Great article.

Make sure to read the footnotes; that's where most of the choice quotations are.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9161188/the-secret-history-kobe-bryant-failed-attempt-rap-career

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The bit about how all of Shaq's rhymes were about how he's better than Kobe is pretty funny. To steal a favorite phrase of Doc McCoy's, it's two bald men arguing over a comb.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "I'm at All-Star Weekend in D.C. and I ran into Shaq," Rick Nice says. "He's wearing a white fur and we're in the VIP section in the hotel. I am trapped in the corner. He has a radio with CDs and he's playing the beats and he's rhyming, freestyling, making shit up off the top of his head. 'Something something and I can't stand Kobe / Something something and I rap better than Kobe / Something something I flip skills better than Kobe / I score more than Kobe.' After a while, I'm looking at him like, 'Why are you going so hard at Kobe with these rhymes?' I didn't know what to feel. It felt weird. I'm trying to flirt with girls and Shaq had me in a headlock rhyming about Kobe. He said, 'I got bars. I got bars for Kobe.' He had this radio that looked little in his hand. He had beat CDs and was changing the CDs and rapping and wouldn't let you leave until you heard his rap. I was like, 'Wow, OK.'"

lol.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

This ended up in rotation at our College radio station. I played it once as a joke...the raging phone calls it generated were priceless.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    JectWon said:

This ended up in rotation at our College radio station. I played it once as a joke...the raging phone calls it generated were priceless.

Good thing they laced the 12 with the acapella. Mad Kobe blends, son!

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    someone needs to make an NBA JAMBZ mix tape

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The only thing I remember from the Kobe/Shaq feud was Shaq saying "Kobe how my ass taste" while presumably in the middle of rapping.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Can't believe I invested 15 minutes reading that. Kobe ripped that cameo with Shaq though, he ould've been a good fit on Rawkus. Clark Kent be hatin'! Wish someone would tell the story of Allen Iverson.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Can't believe I invested 15 minutes reading that. Kobe ripped that cameo with Shaq though, he ould've been a good fit on Rawkus. Clark Kent be hatin'! Wish someone would tell the story of Allen Iverson.

I heard AI and JayZ got a lot in common ;)

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    YNOT said:

I heard AI and JayZ got a lot in common ;)

• YNOT said:

clark kent got it right. kobe just used big words a la canibus that don't make any sense beyond rhyming. that was very horrible.