Deadwood (HBO-r)

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Latte pass... just started watching this. Great tv! McShane fucking owns it.

God-damn cocksuckers...

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    this series was great, Swearengen is one the best tv characters of all time.

now I don't remember if I didn't finish watching it or if it ended abruptly. I think I missed out on the final season...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Hells yeah. Deadwood is excellent. Under-appreciated from that era of HBO shows: Carnivale. Also excellent: Rome.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    IMO, HBO dropped the ball with this show. It really could have used 1-2 more seasons...

It's on my top 10 (If not Top 5) list of all time fav shows.

I know not everyone's cup of tea, but brilliantly written and acted.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Hells yeah. Deadwood is excellent. Under-appreciated from that era of HBO shows: Carnivale.

Re: Carnivale - A thousand times yes. The last half of the second season felt mad rushed - no doubt the producers felt so, too, since it got unexpectedly cancelled - but stunning art direction and the best gaggle of hot oddball women on tv.

Deadwood lost its fire for me after the second season, but easily some of the best writing ever

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DOR said:
    IMO, HBO dropped the ball with this show. It really could have used 1-2 more seasons...

From what I understand, it was always meant to be a three-season story arc, while as Bassie has mentioned, Carnivale got cancelled before they could really wrap it up in a satisfying way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they wanted to do additional seasons with deadwood but like carnivale it was too expensive to film. they were supposed to release two 2 hour movies after john from cincinnati's first season was done filming but they couldn't wrangle everyone together. the two movies were supposed to wrap up the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadwood_(TV_series)#Cancellation

Cancellation[edit]

On May 13, 2006, HBO confirmed it had opted not to pick up the options of the actors, which were set to expire on June 11, 2006. This meant that a fourth season with the current cast as it stood was unlikely, though HBO had stressed that the show was not cancelled and talks regarding its future were continuing. The chances of the show returning with its current lineup of cast and crew were limited.

On June 5, 2006, HBO and creator David Milch agreed to make two two-hour television films in place of a fourth season, after Milch declined a short-order of 6 episodes. This was because in the show's original format, each season portrayed two weeks in the life of Deadwood, with each episode representing one day. The final two-hour format would release these time restraints and allow for a broader narrative to finish off the series.[13]

In an interview on January 13, 2007, David Milch stated that he still intended to finish the two films, if possible.[14] On July 12, 2007, HBO executives admitted that producing the telefilms would be difficult and put the chances of their ever being made at "50???50".[15]

Actor Ian McShane claimed in an interview on October 1, 2007, that the show's sets were due to be dismantled and that the movies would not be made;[16] however he was referring to the show-related set pieces, i.e. front added to the buildings, props, etc., the set as itself, "Melody Ranch", being unchanged at least as of 2010.[17] Actors Jim Beaver and W. Earl Brown commented a day later that they considered the series to be over.[18]

In the March 17, 2009, episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, McShane repeated that 'Deadwood is dead.'[19]

In a January 14, 2011, interview in Esquire, Milch said "I don't know that the last word has been said on the subject ... I still nourish the hope that we're going to get to do a little more work in that area."[20]

In a March 21, 2012, interview, Milch was asked if the movies would ever be produced and replied, "No, I don???t think so. We got really close about a year ago. Never say never, but it doesn???t look that way."[21]

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    the writing on Deadwood was just beyond.

the writers basically created a new language for that show. it was poetic.

and McShane was absolutely BORN for that part; one of the most amazing characters in the history of TV IMO.

the way the writers subtly manipulated you (well, me at least) into slowly-but-surely empathizing with Swearengen is genius. here's the ostensible villain of the show, and in the span of 2 short seasons I found my feelings toward him utterly changed, to the point that he and Bullock (indeed, the whole town) were on the side of good against massive forces of change beyond their control. I was rooting for him by the end, which I never could have imagined doing at the outset of the show.

Deadwood is about the modernization of America, the enslavement of the individual at the hands of government and corporations, the destruction of both the frontier way of life and that of the native inhabitants of the Americas.

I nearly wept when it ended.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the embedded jpegs in that thread are setting off da virus SkAn @ work for me

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

the way the writers subtly manipulated you (well, me at least) into slowly-but-surely empathizing with Swearengen is genius. here's the ostensible villain of the show

I know what you're saying but I loved him from the very start. Charisma! Funny as fuck. That bit in the first episode were he stops ranting to ask "Alright, who cut the fucking cheese?" had me LOLing. Dude is awesome.

So many great lines. Another bit when E.B. is trying to warn the native American lady not to linger in his hotel:

"Be brief!"
    and she retorts
    "BE FUCKED!"

It's great.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

God, I hated how those cocksuckers ended that show, it just didn't seem right: everyone you rooted for defeated. Makes sense that they intended future seasons.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DOR said:

Definitely top 5 material over here!

rootlesscosmo said:
    the writing on Deadwood was just beyond.

the writers basically created a new language for that show. it was poetic.

Totally. I watched a bootleg of Lone Ranger yesterday and they jacked a lot of the language moves from the Deadwood playbook.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Box office disaster or not, I want to see Teh Lone Ranger.

Swearengen to E.B "If I blink when I speak it's because I've just been fleeced"

:killin_it:

Ambulatin'

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    this series was great, Swearengen is one the best tv characters of all time.

Agree, I really wish they ended up putting the movie together