Annoying Album Covers

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
You know the ones where you can't get the record out of the cover.

My #1 is that Dr John that opens on the left.

Fathers and Sons, early press that opens inside toward the spine.

Uni packs in general.

Still Bill and Kool & Gang Open Sesame

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    All of these records and ones like them I just keep in a plastic sleeve with the sleeved record stored outside the cover. I don't think I've ever in my life put a unipak LP back in it's jacket after the first time I took it out.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    My longstanding frustration with gatefold covers culminated in me recently tearing the mint condition cover of free your ass and your mind will follow while haphazardly checking the condition of the vinyl contents. I would say never again but I'm not confident.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Humanacat said:
    My longstanding frustration with gatefold covers culminated in me recently tearing the mint condition cover of free your ass and your mind will follow while haphazardly checking the condition of the vinyl contents. I would say never again but I'm not confident.

That's why I always lay unipac gatefolds in my lap or on something flat, and whose bright idea was it to put double albums in unipac gatefolds?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Divine Styler - Wordpower 2: Directrix comes in some gatefold that transforms into a pyramid. Hell to DJ with. But cool to set up at home.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    You know the ones where you can't get the record out of the cover.

My #1 is that Dr John that opens on the left.

YES

Similiarly what drives me crazy about the Linn County 'Proud Flesh Soothsier" record is that I have to open the gatefold and take the record out from the inside bind.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Glossy jackets for UK-pressed records held together with only narrow strips of rubber cement on the side tabs sure do come apart easily. Those plastic U-shaped sleeves for Mexican, Central American and Asian records piss me off too. Trying to get them snugly back in is some toothpaste tube entropy.

• This thing is built so that the front cover will fall off eventually. Completely pointless and annoying.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Those plastic U-shaped sleeves for Mexican, Central American and Asian records piss me off too. Trying to get them snugly back in is some toothpaste tube entropy.

This

That

This

That

This

And obviously that.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Dubz.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    toby.d said:

And obviously that.

Not only built to fail, oversized so wont mail or sit on a record shelf correctly.

I wish I had one of these so I could complain:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I hate the inner sleeves that only fit into the cover sleeve right side up. I like to turn all of mine sideways so I don't have to remove the inner sleeve in order to get the record out.

Also can't stand those clear plastic sleeves that picture discs typically come in.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Those plastic U-shaped sleeves for Mexican, Central American and Asian records piss me off too. Trying to get them snugly back in is some toothpaste tube entropy.

I don't know how many of those flimsy plastic sleeves I've thrown away, they piss me off to no end. Even if the record has been well-kept those things start to fall apart, and if you try to put the record back into them while keeping them inside the cover they just end up bunching up at the bottom.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I hate the inner sleeves that only fit into the cover sleeve right side up. I like to turn all of mine sideways so I don't have to remove the inner sleeve in order to get the record out.

Also can't stand those clear plastic sleeves that picture discs typically come in.

Yes. I end up storing them outside the cover sleeve but in the plastic sleeve facing out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Finally figured out you are talking about plastic innersleeves.
    With one side rounded.

Hate those. I replace with white die cut paper sleeves. Sometimes I keep the old plastic sleeve with the cover, just to have the original package.

I also hate the plastic lined paper sleeves that Blue Note was using in the 70s. They discolor the vinyl.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I hear ya!

also that issac hayes lp that folds out to him in a cross like pose