Random Strut Memories aka "The Good Ol' Days."

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    jtoro had a great rant, maybe his first post, where he dissed everyone. then he stuck around

there have been finds that i'll always remember for some reason or other
    herm catching woman is sweeter
    soulmarco catching how funny can sex be stk
    kevs psychedelic shopping cart

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i think a dude Metalman came out of nowhere trying to get people to post pics of their girls. that shit was funnnnny

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Can we get some links? ;)

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    tripledouble said:

brix and the greencrates was amazing

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    Can we get some links? ;)

So much great stuff was lost in the crashes.

I remember someone starting a thread capping on a newly-released comp of entry-level break tunes off rock records. The pile-on got steadily bigger, until I piped up; "Er, I put that comp together..." Cue a bunch of awkward retractions and embarrassed apologies as I broke down what an almighty ball-ache it had been to get even that handful of basics licensed and what an unsatisfying experience the whole thing had been.

Edan's drive-by Hayek on someone who claimed he'd been a dick to them in a record store was pretty good.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Edan's drive-by Hayek on someone who claimed he'd been a dick to them in a record store was pretty good.

HAHA! That was SoulOnIce he dissed. Called him "mousey".

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Bam-baaaa-taaaa

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Alphonse Mouzon
    Tony D
    Damu The Fudgemonk
    :hayek:

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    DRAGONS WITH UZIS was some of faux_rillz's finest work. That and his verbal sparring match with The_Mack after I posted the now infamous photo of faux in a pink shirt. "What, the linen blend got you chokin', son?"

Confession: I ghostwrote some of Puto Bong Bong's rhymes.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    BreakSelf said:
    Happy birthday from the entire soulstrut mansion.

RIP

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Fun times indeed
    Attached files

• ???Nostalgia is denial. Denial of the painful present." - Woody Allen

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    ???Nostalgia is denial. Denial of the painful present." - Woody Allen

It's a fun thread, but yea.

I had to throw away A LOT of stuff due to the storm and flood in my basement...including drenched out high school yearbooks. My Dad was trying to convince me to hang on to them but for what? I am not really the type to wax about the good old days and I hated high school anyway lol
    I've lived four lifetimes since then! It would be a weird exercise to leaf through those pages.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    the many threads where James stole the day

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The instructions for how to take over for the previous DJ. The part about getting on the mic and shouting out a C-list celeb who isn't even there ("[Fill in celeb name here], I see you! We doin' it big tonight!") is sublime. One of these days, I'm actually going to do that.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The Soul Strut verse of "Broken Language". One of the greatest things I ever read here, I wish I could find it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The instructions for how to take over for the previous DJ. The part about getting on the mic and shouting out a C-list celeb who isn't even there ("[Fill in celeb name here], I see you! We doin' it big tonight!") is sublime. One of these days, I'm actually going to do that.

From edpowers, 8/4/05

fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    pcmr said:
    my son collect funk45

please take your mouth off
    That thread almost made me piss my pants after a fit of laughter.
    Good times...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    ??? Oldenstylehats vs Philahobo.
    I think they were good friends who got into some fisticuffs at a club and that night or the day after Whitelily (where is she?!) got on here blastin' Oldenstyleformdiplo for instigating. That might've been deleted shortly after too.

yo that shit was a ridiculous night. we had this ongoing fight club thing going at the weekly night we'd spin at a bar. wes and i were punching each other in the face in the parking lot, no one else around. shit was retarded. then all of a sudden theres this homeless guy with a shopping cart asking us if we're all right. "yeah, were friends". "well. friends do that sometimes. can i get a dollar?" wes gives him a bill with blood all over it. then we drive to the end of whitelily's night at silkcity, and end up getting in a fight with the bartenders and "bouncers". wes lost a shoe, got bit on the foot and got banned from the club until he was famous. i lost my cell phone and broke the bartenders ribs when he rushed me when i was on the ground and i donkey kicked him. i didnt know him but we had friends in common who were mad at me for a year. that was pretty much the end of the unofficial fight club

That's some hilarious schitt. If I didn't know all that before I met him in '06/'07 this probably would've ended a whole other way.

Bonus Beat Strut - pretty sure that's Serg's hand up top

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    stratasphere said:

Tony D

:hayek:

Oh shit, I remember that. Nobody believed it was him and he was greeted with intense clon.

Speaking of old Hayek's, remember when Junie from Ohio Players dropped knowledge on the Funky Worm synth?

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/807/

And who could forget this gem...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Punani Prince wasn't me.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    When I used to post a wants list in the Wants/Trades section & get a dozen PMs. Don't get squat anymore....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    War Vs Mandrill
    Off The Wall Vs Thriller

Soulstrut Action Figures w/ Johnny as the Comic Book Guy up in the OG Good Records

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    day said:

Bonus Beat Strut - pretty sure that's Serg's hand up top

I just automatically assume that every stand-alone middle finger I see belongs to Serg.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    K from Canada

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Mike_Bell said:
    pcmr said:
    my son collect funk45

please take your mouth off
    That thread almost made me piss my pants after a fit of laughter.
    Good times...

Please find and bump, I have no idea what this is.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This is some random ass memory, but this story always cracked me up- especially now that I have a kid.

Someone told a story of being out with their young son, and he needed to go to the bathroom so they went to some gas station single seater.
    Dad was waiting outside while little dude was taking too long, and he asked if everything was ok. He opens the door, and his son was taking a dump in the urinal.
    :oof:

He dropped the "oof" graemlin at the end, and I laughed so hard... Oof has been in my vocabulary ever since.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    The California Strutter meetups were fun.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    asstro said:
    The Soul Strut verse of "Broken Language". One of the greatest things I ever read here, I wish I could find it.

It caught a reissue in this thread. I don't remember what the original was titled, but it got reposted here:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74029/

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    one of my all time favourites is easily the '200crates' saga. Who remembers that doozie?!