Prototype Numark iPod DJ Mixer

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    The apocolypse is upon us.

NB

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

iPod nights may never be the same!

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    all i can say is that i am scared by this technology.

In the right hands, stuff like this could be dope as hell, tracks for days...it's the sound quality that I would be suspicious of,based on other threads here.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    In the right hands, stuff like this could be dope as hell, tracks for days...it's the sound quality that I would be suspicious of,based on other threads here.

as with anything in the computer world.... "garbage in = garbage out". i'd guess with higher bitrate encoding tracks would sound better but I don't have an ipod so I can't say how they actually perform.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

could be dope, but it doesnt look like you can alter pitch.. so that pretty much makes it ... eh.. just another Ipod, but then 2.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    yeah that's a trainwreck machine. sneakers in the dryer all day.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    why would anyone waste (what i assume ia a lot of cash) on shit like this when they can get a cdj?

could be dope, but it doesnt look like you can alter pitch.. so that pretty much makes it ... eh.. just another Ipod, but then 2.

yeah, it would be a nice feature...Jeezus, I don't even have ONE iPod...what am I doing in this thread??

• yeah that's a trainwreck machine. sneakers in the dryer all day.

Also, who the hell wants to buy TWO iPods just so they can trainwreck with them (and bring their own goddamn mixer to the club)?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    with all the worthless shit vestax has been making lately, you would think they were putting this out

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Good catch, but i am sure they could write a piece of code (if Apple were kind enough to support this use of the iPod) that would communicate with the iPod and be able to alter the pitch... Sound quality is the biggest issue though...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Sound quality is going to be totally reliant on the mixer itself and the quality of the MP3s. Knowing Numark, the sound will probably suck from their end and then when combined with shitty sounding MP3s, this shit will tank like crazy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

[sarcasm V2.02]Your forgetting that it's missing a BPM counter...

But never worry, Sony is also developing the DJ robot that will go along with this baby. It will even reply to shitty request by drunk gurls with "WTF I'm a robot, get on the dance floor and shut yo mouth"

PS- Numark is also in development of the Numark iPod Shuffle[/sarcasm V2.02]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Side note:

I also heard The Smiths are getting back together after Numark and Apple paid them big money to do a more update and fresh version of "Hang The DJ"

The ironic thing is tho, Morrissey won't be at the launch to support the new product (Due to a long standing feud with one of the band members). Instead an iPod will be filling in all his vocals.

• I think the concept is dope.
    But the technology isn't there yet.
    ipod's crash and burn a lot.
    If apple would work on sound quality and some pitch control option rather than what looks pretty they might have something.

so how was iPod night last night?

ipod night FAQs FYI, bitch.

Frequently Asked Questions about iPod Jukebox:

Can anyone really DJ?

Yes. Just sign up at the DJ booth.

What do I need to participate?

An iPod, or any other portable MP3 player. (No laptops, sorry.) We provide the DJ set-up, including a mixer and iPod dock(s).

Is this really an iPod-only night? Can I bring an iRiver?

Sure. Any portable MP3 player with a 1/8" output jack is welcome, including those made by iRiver, Dell or Creative Labs. We're simply calling this iPod Jukebox because we (and many of our friends) have iPods, and we love them.

How does iPod Jukebox work? Can I sign up by e-mail?

You cannot put your name down for iPod Jukebox in advance; you have to show up at Cafe Saint-Ex and sign up on the night. This is done on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning sometime after 8:30. (Look for the list near the DJ booth.) MP3Js play in the order in which they sign up; you cannot request a set at a specific time (i.e. 9:30 or 11).

Why only 12 minutes?

We have short attention spans, and 12 minutes seemed like a good time limit. It lets more people show off their collections[/b], and the restriction keeps practical jokers from playing, say, The Liars' 30-minute "This Dust Makes That Mud" and clearing the room.

Can I mix/crossfade/etc.?

Sure, if you have two iPods. Most people just make an On-The-Go playlist.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    ipod night FAQs FYI, bitch.

Frequently Asked Questions about iPod Jukebox:

Can anyone really DJ?

Yes. Just sign up at the DJ booth.

What do I need to participate?

An iPod, or any other portable MP3 player. (No laptops, sorry.) We provide the DJ set-up, including a mixer and iPod dock(s).

Is this really an iPod-only night? Can I bring an iRiver?

Sure. Any portable MP3 player with a 1/8" output jack is welcome, including those made by iRiver, Dell or Creative Labs. We're simply calling this iPod Jukebox because we (and many of our friends) have iPods, and we love them.

How does iPod Jukebox work? Can I sign up by e-mail?

You cannot put your name down for iPod Jukebox in advance; you have to show up at Cafe Saint-Ex and sign up on the night. This is done on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning sometime after 8:30. (Look for the list near the DJ booth.) MP3Js play in the order in which they sign up; you cannot request a set at a specific time (i.e. 9:30 or 11).

Why only 12 minutes?

We have short attention spans, and 12 minutes seemed like a good time limit. It lets more people show off their collections[/b], and the restriction keeps practical jokers from playing, say, The Liars' 30-minute "This Dust Makes That Mud" and clearing the room.

Can I mix/crossfade/etc.?

Sure, if you have two iPods. Most people just make an On-The-Go playlist.

I forgot my Ipod, can I still DJ?

Sure, we have some Ipods-to-lend ready to rock, preloaded with your average top40-crap to please everyone. [/b]

so how was iPod night last night?

Brought out a lot of folks, God Bless them.

I had several folks nervously inquire about 'signing up'.
    They had the slate full (enough to close) by 9:20.

My beef is not the medium of how someone plays music, but are they playing good music. With iPod nights, good music is about number 8 on the list for most of the folks who sign up.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Can I bring an iRiver?

LITTLE DUDE ALERT

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I realize that this device is mostly for people who haven't touched turntables before, but a much more viable option (for many resons) seems to be plugging your ipod in as a usb drive and running it through Serrato or something. You don't need two ipods, you can controll pitch, scratch, etc.

• all i can say is that i am scared by this technology.

Good catch, but i am sure they could write a piece of code (if Apple were kind enough to support this use of the iPod) that would communicate with the iPod and be able to alter the pitch... Sound quality is the biggest issue though...

taken from the weblink:

"So, what's the mixer itself? It's not clear: it's an early prototype. In one of the photos of the actual prototype, the iPods aren't even plugged in. Conceptually, though, the idea is interesting, and aside from allowing basic DJ mixing and crossfading, a buffer could grab audio from the audio for brief scratching. Apparently pitch control is possible, too, though limited[/b], and it's not clear how they might fix iPod cueing; in other words, all the normal limitations of the iPod for DJing apply. Don't expect this to ship any time soon."

And taken from the Apple discussion forums regarding poor sound quality on iPod photos:

"anyway perhaps this website:
    http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?article.133
    has a solution that will work for you, it's at least worth a try.

here's a sample:

"All mp3 files have a default volume tag of around 95 to 105dB (decibels - a unit of loudness). When the iPod plays at this output volume, distortion does not occur. When you boost the iPod's bass however, with the equalizer, you are increasing the volume of the lower frequencies past this value (in order to make them more prominent amongst the other frequencies of the sound), and this, in turn, causes clipping and distortion. Basically, the iPod's amp is trying to output a volume that is greater than its inbuilt volume limit - so it serves crackling. By using MP3Gain to reduce the volume tag of your mp3 files to around 89dB, we can leave some headroom to further boost some frequencies without overdriving the iPod's amplifier."

"For example: if you boost the 60Hz frequency (low bass) by around 10dB, the iPod will output that frequency at 99dB (89 + 10). At 99dB, distortion does not occur. If you boost a song playing at 105dB by 10dB, however, we get a total of 115dB which, no doubt, has passed the threshold of distortion. From experience, 105dB is about the limit; we need to reduce the volume tag value of our mp3's significantly below 105dB to avoid distortion. 89dB is the value recommended by MP3Gain developers, and I concur, as this value has eliminated all distortion on my iPod that used to result from boosting frequencies via equalizer presets."

Don't know if this would make sound quality of mp3s better or not, but thought it fit with the discussion.

• umm... it wouldn't make the quality better, it would just make the bass louder (and produce clipping/distortion). even if you routed the audio out to a 'real' mixer, it would just add more noise in the signal and give the potential for analog bass boost, not digital - like the ipod does.
    in summation, if your quality is lacking to begin with, you will always be a loser.

as for the audio amp in the ipod being shitty. the mixer here doesn't use the ipod amp from the looks of it. it looks like it takes the data file, then processes it, then outputs the audio. not 100% sure though. seems like the same rig as all the new ipod speakers which likely do not use the ipod amp.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    this is dumb because you have to buy two ipods. what i am hoping for is some sort of software that you can put on the ipod so you can mix two mp3s...like traktor or something. but of course that will never happen because i'm sure apple would rather you just buy two ipods. and then keep buying them when the batteries die.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    reminds me of my hercules dj console from best buy

sound isnt the greatest, but whatever, its fun to play with. hook it up to your comp thru usb port and your mixing mp3s...its perfect for me, cause i always wanted to remix my own guitar and piano, and this is the closest thing to pressing your own music and sampling it. fun as phuck.

so uh...why the phuck do you have to buy two ipods? one ipod alone costs more than the freakn unit.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

this may have already been said, but shouldn't they be able to make it possible to pull a song on each channel from one iPod?

If this thing does come out, even my wife will be DJing.

• FYIFYI 15 Posts
    I remeber at first all the CDJ sucked for years and everyone new they were wack. Then the CDJ 1000 came out and it was like the Technics of the CD world. All of a sudden Cut Chemist, Shadow, Qbert and everyone else started using those. If they can eventually do that with Ipods then it would be DOPE as hell.

• word. I can't see why people are threatened by new DJ technology. If you nice with the vinyl, then don't worry about a kid with a couple of CDJ's- just do you. I know we all have a soft spot for the analog, but if you're that against the digital era, step your game up and trump all these punk kids.