Erasmo Carlos

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Why does Verocai get all the love? Which do you think is better.

I used to think Memorias, hands down, but "Carlos, Erasmo ..." has been growing on me as of late.

Comments

• skullsnapsskullsnaps 138 Posts
    Why chose one, they are both dope....but this one does kill me:
    http://funksoul.tumblr.com/post/24315362470/erasmo-carlos-e-preciso-dar-um-jeito-meu

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    they're both great but Carlos, Erasmo... wins it for me for being more rockin' and for the balls out production

this song was my jam when I first discovered this record:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Two of my favorite albums ever, but Carlos, Erasmo gets the edge over Sonhos because it's a bit more consistent.

Hard to compare either to Verocai, though, pretty different animals.

Don't sleep on this, which has two different versions of the best tunes from Sonhos:

There's also a Maximo Successos comp (#8?) with a great version of Meu Mar.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm glad I got my copy of Sonhos before this thread (which is bound to bring some attention and raise prices).

Probably the most listened to record I've bought all year. Absolutely incredible. And Saba, I had the same convo with a friend of mine in Brazil over why he gets virtually no love compared to people like Verocai etc. No clue.

• jmjmjmjmjmjmjmjm 31 Posts
    Two great albums. Hard to pick a favourite as they are so different.

Re: comparing to Verocai, the arrangements on Cica Cecilia is textbook AV & it wouldn't sound out of place on his own LP.

Anyone know who did the arrangements on Memorias? I've had a scan over my copy but can't see anything.

Horseleech said:
    Don't sleep on this, which has two different versions of the best tunes from Sonhos:

Any title on that or is it a S/T hits comp? (I see cacacha mecanica on there).

day said:
    I had the same convo with a friend of mine in Brazil over why he gets virtually no love compared to people like Verocai etc. No clue.

He's a pretty big star, especially compared to someone like Verocai who is only known in certain circles, but he's seen more as a romantic singer in the Roberto Carlos vein because of his later output. His late 60s/early 70s stuff has largely been forgotten, but the same goes for Roberto Carlos or even Rita Lee - for a long time Os Mutantes were just a footnote on her career, until they got the attention of the outside world in the 90s.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    day said:
    I had the same convo with a friend of mine in Brazil over why he gets virtually no love compared to people like Verocai etc. No clue.

He's a pretty big star, especially compared to someone like Verocai who is only known in certain circles, but he's seen more as a romantic singer in the Roberto Carlos vein because of his later output. His late 60s/early 70s stuff has largely been forgotten, but the same goes for Roberto Carlos or even Rita Lee - for a long time Os Mutantes were just a footnote on her career, until they got the attention of the outside world in the 90s.

Right on. I was thinking more in the digger/record nerd community than mainstream public. I didn't even get hip to him until the last year or so.

jmjmjmjm said:
    Horseleech said:

Any title on that or is it a S/T hits comp? (I see cacacha mecanica on there).

I think the only title is En Castellano - it was made for the Argentina market and he sings in Spanish. The two songs from Sonhos are from the same sessions but pretty different takes.

day said:
    Right on. I was thinking more in the digger/record nerd community than mainstream public. I didn't even get hip to him until the last year or so.

yeah, I think the fact that he's seen as a cheesy romantic singer keeps most people from finding out about his earlier work. He's not the only one who suffers from that, if you judge most brazilian musicians based on their 80s output you'll think their whole catalog is filled with cheese.

FWIW Carlos, Erasmo... just got reissued on vinyl here, so it's gained enough cult status for that to happen. I wonder if Sonhos e Memorias will also get reissued, or any of his other albums.

b/w

some people ride for this one too:

• Don't mean to get off topic, but....i've always thought late 60s/early 70s Ronnie Von was under appreciated. I know he is, or was, a popular T.V. presenter, soap opera star, but those few earlier releases on Polydor have a unique sound, always dug 'em, and they seem to get little mention. I think only recently they've been re-pressed, might be wrong tho.

Horseleech said:
    I think the only title is En Castellano - it was made for the Argentina market and he sings in Spanish. The two songs from Sonhos are from the same sessions but pretty different takes.

Cool, thanks. Should have put 2 & 2 together when I saw the RCA label.

@youknowyouknow - Ronnie Vons first 3 LPs were reissued about 4 years ago by Discos Renovacao. Think they're boots.

Agreed that he is overlooked...his S/T 69 has some great tracks like Meu Novo Cantar & Espelhos Quebrados.

@ppadhila - Who reissued Carlos, Erasmo...Polysom? Heard that the Krishnanda LP they put out was a poor quality bootleg. Same story here?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I have an Uncle Carlos and a cousin Erasmo.

I have neither of these records though.

This one also has some great cuts, though the arrangements are a bit awkward at times:

jmjmjmjm said:
    Who reissued Carlos, Erasmo...Polysom? Heard that the Krishnanda LP they put out was a poor quality bootleg. Same story here?

yes, Polysom did it. None of their reissues are bootlegs but people complain about the quality and price, maybe if their releases were more affordable they would get less flack. They just reissued several Ronnie Von lps as well.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I bought a buddies copy of Sonho back ~ 2001 and it quickly became one of my alltime favourite Brazil sounds, and allround favourit sounds from anywhere at anytime. It's got that warm rich production that came outta Brazil round then. I've spent much more time with that record than the Verocai, I guess I'm an anomaly. Then again, if I didn't have to listen to the Luv N Haight re-ish..... Nah, I'd still love Erasmo.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I need sonhos... have Carlos, Erasmo. I prefer sonhos personally. If anyone wants to sell theirs or has a hookup... let me know!! Never comes up on eBay

utters said:

is that the infamous 200crates?

"he's not just famous, he's IN-famous"