Soul Strut 100: # 42 - Lyn Christopher (1973)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 42 - Lyn Christopher (1973)

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you
# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level
# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)
# 63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother
# 62 - Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
# 61 - The J.B.???s - Food For Thought
# 60 - Don Blackman (1982)
# 59 - Niagara - (Tiddies)
# 58 - Can - Ege Bamyasi
# 57 - Whatnauts - On the Rocks
# 56 - The Mohawks - Champ
# 55 - McDonald and Giles (1971)
# 54 - Darondo - Let My People Go
# 53 - Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping
# 52 - Beastie Boys - Paul???s Boutique
# 51 - Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu of Ethiopia
# 50 - Lyman Woodard Organization - Saturday Night Special
# 49 - Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
# 48 - Lyn Collins - Think (About It)
# 47 - James Brown - In The Jungle Groove
# 46 - Bill Withers - Still Bill
# 45 - Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
# 44 - Silver Apples - S/T
# 43 - Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

A rather forgettable 70s female vocal record except for the heavily sampled Dusty Fingers comped track "Take Me With You" which features background vocals from a then unknown Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley of KISS fame. Became a championed find on Soul Strut for its elusiveness and the fine female on the cover. Wall worthy!

Related Threads

Lyn Christopher photos, butt naked circa 1974!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dissed by Lyn Christopher!

Media

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The only 1 tracker I'm proud to own.

• i know that its a mistake to get into the rankings but how can this one-tracker beat out albums (and double albums) of pure heat?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i know that its a mistake to get into the rankings but how can this one-tracker beat out albums (and double albums) of pure heat?

Became a championed find on Soul Strut for its elusiveness and the fine female on the cover. Wall worthy!

• The cover has Lyn bathed in classic 70's douche commercial lighting and Trpldbl made me listen to it a lot in 2002 therefore it is special in my mind for strictly these quaint reasons.
    Though it is baffling why for what it is, it's gunning ahead of In The Jungle Groove.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Perfection...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    record digger's #1 pin-up girl

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Relic
    Attached files

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry.
    Not even a one tracker.
    A sample.
    I suppose she is pretty, but hardly the hottest women to ever grace an album cover.

b/w

The point of the 100 (as I understand it) is not to list the 100 best lps, but to list the 100 lps most important to soulstrut chatter.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Sorry.
    Not even a one tracker.
    A sample.
    I suppose she is pretty, but hardly the hottest women to ever grace an album cover.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i know that its a mistake to get into the rankings but how can this one-tracker beatoff album be on the list of pure heat?
    Not to cross pollinate too much, but this track might make an excellent suggestion for the next beatoff. Just think of the amount of jokes...

MIND BOTTLING

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    RAJ said:
    record digger's #1 pin-up girl

b/w

make her more adorable with the Promo not for Sale stikka

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Perfection...

• Finally bit the bullet and found a copy overseas at discogs. I was hoping to run into it one of these days, but this album doesn't make the rounds in SF too often. Vinnie Esparza put me on this one!

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    So a minty copy of this pops up on eBay last week with an opening bid of 9.99, along with the following description:

I know nothing about this 1973 album by Lyn Christopher. However, it credits background voices by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley about a year before they burst upon the scene as KISS. But if you're expecting KISS head banger music forget it; there's nothing like that here. This music is middle of the road / adult contemporary. And I have no idea how many of the tracks Simmons and Stanley appear on. I can't pick out their voices, but then I'm not a KISS fan. The album cover says they're here.

So I figure this is a great chance to pull the old "side deal"...I ask the seller if he'll consider ending the auction early for $30. His response:

Wow, what an enticing offer. I've never ended an auction item early so, I don't know how to do it. But that's secondary to what your question implies, which is that the album may be valuable - I know nothing about it. Still, $30.00 is a hefty sum to pay for an LP, so a bid that high may stand up to other bidders. As you know I'm here to sell for as much as I can, and with your question, I'm now curious as to how much it may bring. So, as much as I appreciate your interest, I think I'm going to let the bidding endure for the duration. Hey, you may still win, and perhaps even below $30, in which case I may kick myself. Thank you much for your viewing.

I tell him no worries, I just have a personal interest in the record and thought I would make it worth his while. We exchange a couple more messages and the auction ends at $86. I was not the successful bidder. He comforts me with this message:

Hey man, don't feel bad. I played this record the other day and from what my ears heard Simmons and Stanley only appear for sure on 2 songs - and possibly on 1 more. But you can't make out distinct voices AT ALL - you can only make out that they are a man's voice - because their vocals were mixed deep in the tracks. So, the only reason for wanting this album is simply to say you have something that Simmons and Stanley did before they created KISS. Musically, you're not missing anything at all. Thanks again for your interest.

Good times.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Given that this one track also exists on a 45, why bother with this album? [sneaking back into hiding, anticipating BAN rants]

• Is the US 45 on vinyl or styrene?

I got a UK press of the LP and I'm led to believe that "Take Me" track got a UK 7" release also.

Can anyone verify this?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    muh girl j

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Calling O-Dub and anyone else: if you want to step to Lyn to get more info on "Take Me With You", she'll be at the upcoming NJ KISS expo:

http://njkissexpo.com/Home_Page.html

Our very special event this year will focus on the new official book, Nothin' To Lose, The Making of KISS 1972-1975. Taking the stage will be be author Ken Sharp to lead a panel with many of the people who helped shape early KISStory.

Taking part in the panel, live on stage will be:

Lyn Christopher, recording artist. Paul and Gene sing on her 1973 album.
    Carol Ross, President of the Press Office and KISS publicist back in their heyday.
    Eddie Solan, roadie for the legendary 1973 gigs and long time friend of Ace.
    Binky Philips, of the Planets and close friend of the band at it's inception.
    Ken Sharp, author Nothing To Lose, KISStory, KISS: Behind the Mask and co-author The KISS Years