Pucho & the latin soul brothers

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    definately true (that Willie Bobo covered a lot of weak pop covers in his day), crap like his cover of Sunshine Superman is not listening material at all, but he had a few dope covers too, like Evil Ways, thats whats really good!

Willie actually did the original "Evil Ways." And you're right, his version smokes like a cigarette! The version most know by Santana was later.

MORE LATIN SOUL: the Lat-Teens on Cotique, featuring some of the greatest rhythm guitar this side of Steve Cropper.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I actually tried listening to this recently and "Un Rayo Del Sol" or whatever it's called was suprisingly hot. Missed that the first time around.

Thats the only song other than the hit thats even worth a damn though, right?

I mean, Jungle Fever is one of the best common 45s out there, but based on the one time I heard it this album is real shitty

I actually like quite a few tracks off that LP.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I actually tried listening to this recently and "Un Rayo Del Sol" or whatever it's called was suprisingly hot. Missed that the first time around.

Thats the only song other than the hit thats even worth a damn though, right?

I mean, Jungle Fever is one of the best common 45s out there, but based on the one time I heard it this album is real shitty

I actually like quite a few tracks off that LP.

me too!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    since this thread is now just latin recommendations, i'd like to add:

Kako "live it up" lp. i lucked into an OG of this and it's amazing...and then i saw a reish at TSL so go cop it! great boogaloo...the title track i play out quite a bit and also the cover version of "cool jerk".

flash and the dynamics lp on Tico...killer nuyorican psych-fuzz-latin-soul. all that and more.

La Clave on Verve...latin-soul produced by lalo schifrin!

I wasn't too crazy about "live it up" I just sold my OG copy a few weeks ago...
    This one here really smokes, though.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    that one looks dope! surprised you didn't like "live it up" but different strokes. did you get much on it?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    that one looks dope! surprised you didn't like "live it up" but different strokes. did you get much on it?
    I've seen a copy go for around 100 on eBay and offered mine to the second bidder for 80 bucks including shipping, after I was done with those thieveing cunts from the post office, I had around 60 left which probably left me holding the short end of the stick... didn't think there was much demand for it and didn't know it was reissued.

By the way:
    Do you know a club on the lower east side called Happy Ending?
    Supposedly it's a former handjob parlor... I'll be doing a party there on May 18th. there will also be Go Go Girls and Dirty Movies... I'll make sure to bring some Latin records...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i used to have a thursday weekly at happy ending. yes, it's in the les/chinatown area and used to be a "massage parlor" and now it's run amok with hipsters. when i played there it was still new and not quite as hot.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i used to have a handjob weekly at happy ending. yes, it's in the les/chinatown area and is my gay bath-house of choice and now it's run amok with hipsters like me. when i play there it makes me quite hot.

• Thanks for the support senor strider.. good stuff! You might want to check out Pucho's[/b] album 'Yaina'[/b] which we also reissued, especially the Rolling Stones cover of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.. heavy!

Is there vinyl of this reissue???

i recently found an OG copy of this on right on! records. seems like it's pretty tough to find, i got lucky. the record is solid and highly recommended.

That's actually the only Pucho LP that I own. It's OK, but I'd rather listen to a Mongo LP at his height though. Check his "Live At Yankee Stadium" LP on Vaya. Shit is HOT! They had to stop the show for a bit because people were flowing out of their seats and onto the field.

Here's my review of Pucho's "Yaina" LP

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=P&page=5

i'll be happy to trade you that for any mongo lps you want ...

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I have Saffron and Soul and I love that LP. I want more but I'm in no financial place to going crazy on the Latin Soul. I also love me some Mongo and I have to credit Cool Chris with hooking me up with most of my Latin info and records.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have Saffron and Soul and I love that LP. I want more but I'm in no financial place to going crazy on the Latin Soul.

and that's why i say: THANK GOD FOR REISSUES