Will.i.am sues Pharrell - really?

SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/will-i-am-takes-legal-action-against-pharrells-i-am-other-brand-20130626

He claims ownership of the phrase "I Am". There have been times I've wanted to give him a pass, but this is next level douche-itutude.
Also, more evidence our copyright system is severely broken.

Comments

• How long has he owned the words "I am"? As far back as this?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    From Wikipedia...

Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh (often contracted in English as "I AM") is one of the Seven Names of God accorded special care by medieval Jewish tradition.[2] The phrase is also found in other world religious literature, used to describe the Supreme Being, generally referring back to its use in Exodus. The word Ehyeh is considered by many rabbinical scholars to be a first-person derivation of the Tetragrammaton, see for example Yahweh.

• Will.i.am VS Yahweh!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    He's gonna bankrup De La

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    You can't copyright individual words or a sentences or even phrases.

You can trademark them, though.

This is just more evidence of how big a douche Will.I.Am is.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    He's gonna bankrup De La

Best thing to come out of this lawsuit is you reminding me of this immortal tune, right here....fitting the Friday vibe perfectly.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Snapping said:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/will-i-am-takes-legal-action-against-pharrells-i-am-other-brand-20130626

He claims ownership of the phrase "I Am". There have been times I've wanted to give him a pass, but this is next level douche-itutude.
    Also, more evidence our copyright system is severely broken.

"I am disappointed that Will, a fellow artist, would file a case against me," Pharrell says in a statement to RS. "I am someone who likes to talk things out and, in fact, I attempted to do just that on many occasions. I am surprised in how this is being handled and I am confident that Will's trademark claims will ultimately be found to be as meritless and ridiculous as I do."

Representatives for will.i.am had not responded to a request for comment at press time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    But isn't it the case that that can only happen if the entity seeking the trademark can show that the phrase has gained a distinct meaning separate from its original meaning, one that identifies the phrase with a specific person/company/product/service?

For example, Donald Trump tried to trademark "You're fired" and was denied and laughed at. If he couldn't pull it off, it doesn't seem like will.i.am would be able to.

[
    Snapping said:

"I am disappointed Pharrell says in a statement to RS. "I am . I am surprised I am confident.

Damn!!! Pharrell is just fucking with Will big time here!

He's going to have to cough up some dough for this trademark infringing statement.

Fred_Garvin said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    But isn't it the case that words and phrases can be trademarked if the entity seeking the trademark can show that the phrase has gained a distinct meaning separate from its original meaning, one that identifies the phrase with a specific person/company/product/service?

For example, Donald Trump tried to trademark "You're fired" and was denied and laughed at. If he couldn't pull it off, it doesn't seem like will.i.am would be able to.

You're correct. I'm referring to the article claiming it was a copyright issue in, I think, the first paragraph.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    A lot of work ahead for Will I.Ams lawyers.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

That Sam I Am
    That Sam I Am
    I do not like that Sam I Am

:freeway: