Deodato talking about kool and the gang

KidProcrassKidProcrass 107 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
Been going through some RBMA sessions lately on my free time and this Eumir Deodato interview is pretty interesting other than being a little all other the place. One thing that kind of caught me off guard is around 50 min's into it he talks about his work with Kool and the Gang and he really makes them sound like amateurs which is odd to me because the first few albums are just so great. Anybody else thought this was a little odd especially that he's worked on some funky shit before ie super strut etc.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/eumir-deodato--just-a-boy-from-rio

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I remember that interview in Waxpoetics he gave many years ago and that for my taste he was talking a little bit too much about money. Just watched the beginning of the interview and his first sentence is already about his bank account. I like his stuff but him as a person, not so much.

• Yeah, he seems like a dick. I suppose if you've done what he's done, you get a pass.
    He did have a point with Kool & the Gang with cramming in multiple sections into the one song.

Take for instance Sea of Tranquility. Awesome song and it has that absolute killer section at the end which has no relation to the previous section.
    They should made that into a completely separate song. That last section is so good it could have stood on its own as a separate song.

• Oh i hear ya on that and sea of tranquility is a great example i was talking more about how the players performed. Im pretty sure Kool can lay down a bassline with Deodato holding down his lower chord you know...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Kool and The Gang can pretty much do what they want. If you have so many great ideas you want to put 3 of them in one song then more power to you. Deodato obviously places a lot of importance on exacting structure, which is fine but it doesn't mean that's what all music has to do to be good.

I saw Kool and The Gang a few months ago and even with the focus on late 70's 80 they were still really good and had every one up dancing.

Kool & the Gang had 12 albums prior to "Ladies Night" and were touring for like forever and he's letting it sound as if they could barely play their instruments until he came along for a clean up. For sure the last albums before their collaboration were lacking fresh ideas and sounded a bit outdated but they must have been pros with a lot more touring experience then Mr.Deodato himself.
    I know these kind of guys pretty well, always bragging about how they lost money in this and that case and how everybody is trying to betray them and rip them off. Great writer & arranger, he's even entertaining when he's loosing his point while rambling on but I'm glad, I never had somebody like him as my boss.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Kool & the Gang had 12 albums prior to "Ladies Night" and were touring for like forever and he's letting it sound as if they could barely play their instruments until he came along for a clean up. For sure the last albums before their collaboration were lacking fresh ideas and sounded a bit outdated but they must have been pros with a lot more touring experience then Mr.Deodato himself.

On the other hand Deodato had probably worked on close to a hundred albums by the time he hooked up with Kool And The Gang. Maybe he hadn't toured as much, but he had way more experience making albums.

Horseleech said:
    disco_che said:

On the other hand Deodato had probably worked on close to a hundred albums by the time he hooked up with Kool And The Gang. Maybe he hadn't toured as much, but he had way more experience making albums.

Yeah probably, but he sounds like he had to train a gang of Orang-Utans to play a straight beat, so it's hard to sympathize with him.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Deodato, who has only made one good song of his own EVER, needs to shut his pie hole about the creators of overwhelming classics such as Jungle Boogie, Hollywood Swinging, Summer Madness, etc. It'd be like Craig Hodges complaining how he had to teach Michael Jordan how to shoot...smh.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Much better to hear a dude like Deodato cussing dudes than yet anotther yawn-fest back scratch weak sauce admiration love-in.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Deodato, who has only made one good song of his own EVER

There's no shame in admitting that you don't know anything about Brazilian music, it's certainly less embarrassing than statements like this one.

Deodoato was probably the preeminent arranger of the Bossa Nova/Bossa Jazz scene and the go-to guy at the legendary Odeon house studio system in 60's Brazil

I'm sure dude's a jerk (I haven't watched the clip), and I love early/mid Kool And The Gang, but the idea that he wasn't a seasoned musician or that he only has one good song are serious head-scratchers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:

There's no shame in admitting that you don't know anything about Brazilian music, it's certainly less embarrassing than statements like this one.

Deodoato was probably the preeminent arranger of the Bossa Nova/Bossa Jazz scene and the go-to guy at the legendary Odeon house studio system in 60's Brazil

I'm sure dude's a jerk (I haven't watched the clip), and I love early/mid Kool And The Gang, but the idea that he wasn't a seasoned musician or that he only has one good song are serious head-scratchers.

Did he also make nice costumes for the Bossa Nova musicians to wear at the cabana?

Deodoodoo doesn't translate to me beyond the CTI break. Plus most of that pan-American tourist bullshit was mad soft.

Dude is talking about muthafuckin Kool & the Gang. I'd stab him with a rusty banana in person.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yea, but being an arranger usually means you help someone organize their original ideas and then shit all over them like you were the genius. I admit he's a talented guy, but the LP's he arranged or played on for other artists are way ahead of anything he wrote and recorded himself. I've sold his solo records but kept the ones where he's a player or arranger and didn't even know it half the time.

Rick Rubin is amazing at helping artists get their ideas together, but he's not taking a dump on them like they suck and he's the real brains. He realizes they worked together for a reason.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Can't hear a bad word said about Deodato

The greatest arranger in all of Brazilian music

• HarveyCanal said:
    Deodato, who has only made one good song of his own EVER, needs to shut his pie hole about the creators of overwhelming classics such as Jungle Boogie, Hollywood Swinging, Summer Madness, etc. It'd be like Craig Hodges complaining how he had to teach Michael Jordan how to shoot...smh.

Can't shut down on Craig Hodges man. Let him live. Dude is no Deodato; Lupe Fiasco at worst..

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    The Os Catedraticos LPs are ALL brilliant from first track to last. And there are very, very, very few LPs that I know of that every track is a winner. They are some of the first brazilian LPs I bought over twenty years ago and I still listen to them on repeat.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not unusual for jazz players, producers, arrangers and studio musicians to bad mouth pop/rock/soul stars.
    In fact I would say it is common.
    Not surprising. Stars often lack the knowledge and skill of the former. The former often lack the vision and talent of the later.

At the top of the heap of bad mouthers right now is Hal Blaine and the "wrecking crew'. They make me sick.

I love the donatodeodato record. Fairly common. I think HC might like it.

http://www.v2load.com/videos/Q7egL9tArwU/#

The music starts at the 1:00 mark.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    not to de-rail, but always wondered if brass construction was on some deodato..

Easily as sophisticated as anything Henry Mancini or Neil Hefti was doing.

And the lineup is unfuckwithable http://www.allmusic.com/album/os-catedr??ticos-ataque-mw0000538584/credits