Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Haven't watched it all yet. I watched the special Ed episode though. Thanks for posting.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I didn't even know there was a Special Ed episode!

• Its dope. Discovering Main Ingredient and Illmatic got me into finding samples and collecting records.

All these docs, interviews, podcasts (Fuse's crate diggers, Juan Epstein, etc.) are great internet content.

I watched this after the T.R.O.Y doc looking to see where the drums were from. The dude puts together a quality tutorial.

• Dope. Presented by McDonald's though? Wtf?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Moyamoya4201 said:
    Dope. Presented by McDonald's though? Wtf?

If they can get funding from them whats the issue?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    talib kweli's just to get by?

:hated_it:

• batmon said:
    Moyamoya4201 said:

No issue at all, more power to them. Getting that kind of backing is be fantastic for a website. I just thought it was strange that a multi-billion dollar business would not only advertise during, but promote the content of a small web-based media outlet. I don't think 90's hip hop when I think of McDs advertising...maybe something more like this:

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Moyamoya4201 said:

It worked, I really want a Big Mac.

Despite it's status as played out what a classic song... Can still remember where I was the first time I heard it. Almost got in a fight over playing this out around 2005 when some local rapper ran up on me salty I wouldn't play his demo. Was like this isn't 1996 anymore blah blah blah. Great retrospective piece tho, rest in peace Troy Dixon.

brb going to McDonalds.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Moyamoya4201 said:
    Shoulda been Sprite

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Moyamoya4201 said:
    batmon said:
    Moyamoya4201 said:

No issue at all, more power to them. Getting that kind of backing is be fantastic for a website. I just thought it was strange that a multi-billion dollar business would not only advertise during, but promote the content of a small web-based media outlet. I don't think 90's hip hop when I think of McDs advertising...maybe something more like this:

Remember the Sprite commercials? I bet many of the check writers know TROY. Its the one of the backbone Golden Age hits.

Shit,.....we already had a hamster commercial w/ The Choice Is Yours.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The_Non said:

Shoulda been Sprid-ite

There, fixed.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    CratesGatsby said:

I watched this after the T.R.O.Y doc looking to see where the drums were from

"where the geeks meet the streets".... oof

but otherwise chill

so an interesting story about the drums is that Elektra never cleared the "Say It Loud" sample. And when Lupe wanted to re-use the beat, they couldn't use the drums because they had never been cleared in the first place.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    nice, thanks for sharing. i asume this magnum opus thing is a series of some sort? what else has been doccoed?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    The_Non said:

Shoulda been Sprid-ite

There, fixed.

Thank you for this.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I seem to remember Positive K's "I Got a Man" being the jump-off for a Sprite commercial. I thought this would be something I could look up on YouTube, but there's no trace of it. Does anybody else remember this?