Amusing phrases of recent

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Just post a line or two, a few words, whatever tickled you. Post the link to the full source for further reading if possible.

"The first thing that would happen was that Kool G Rap and his crew would roll in with dinner. It was almost always shrimp scampi. They would roll in with shrimp scampi for everyone."

http://othersounds.com/archives/1638

Comments

• "Having ends, taking bets/
    Oaktown Raiders, nigga fuck the Jets!"

- Potna Deuce tape I'm playing

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    -In the recent past, I heard a skateboarding dude tell a fellow skateboarder that he missed a party because he "brozed off"
    -Recent headline from WV newspaper I saw: "Vengeful Man Steals Banjo From Church"
    -Phrase of recent coinage by me when infuriated by student actions: "No More Monsieur Bonhomme"

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The that way the normally sedate Bill Withers says "Yuuuuuuse me" to psych out his young interviewee and then cracks up apologising. 6:53-7:10

• The_Non said:
    because he "brozed off"

just to say, I really fuck with this.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The_Non said:
    because he "brozed off"

just to say, I really fuck with this.
    Yeah, that's the funniest thing I've read in a minute.

Cross-thread entry #1: hogginthefogg's putdown of Pretty Toney Bourdain a few years back--something along the lines of "He is approximately forty percent as cool as he thinks he is"--has provided me with a construction that has been immeasurably useful in my disapproval-based lifestyle. "_____ is approximately _____ percent as cool as he/she/it thinks it is"--I say that shit all the time.

Cross-thread entry #2: I recently overheard a mother taking on her cell phone about, I am guessing, her son's trouble with using the bathroom at school. She told whoever she was talking to that young Marlon was having "dookie issues." It's hilarious to me that she would try to be all euphemistic and discreet by using the word "issues," but wouldn't bother trying to find some way to soft-pedal "dookie."

In a post-something side note: It occurs to me that the phrase "of recent" is itself a little bugged.

• Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
    a carpet of frogs

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yesterday I heard a homeless man ranting about "separation of church and the business"

• Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
    how is that funny

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jaggerz said:
    how is that funny

didn't say it was funny, but I dug the turn of phrase

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    james said:
    the phrase "of recent" is itself a little bugged.

absolutely

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "that's like introducing the metric system to foot-long sandwiches"

a friend recently referred to a rebounding drunk girl as a "struggle bunny"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Was talkin w/ the corner newspaper cat this morning and shorty walked by w/ a fat ass. I looked at him like "Damn".

He said - "If You See Something, Say Something."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:
    Was talkin w/ the corner newspaper cat this morning and shorty walked by w/ a fat ass. I looked at him like "Damn".

Similar applications: "Put your name on it."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

Bone it to own it.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Good lines overheard of late:

"She's the hottest girl I could never be attracted to."
    "The kind of bar people go to to break up."

This last one I want to try to add to my vernacular, used here regarding a drug arrest:

"He got himself in a jackpot."

HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

Bone it to own it.

Flippin a anti-terrorism campaign slogan is what made shit funny...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Drone it to own it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:

Weapons Of Ass Destruction

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Herm said:
    batmon said:

Weapons Of Ass Destruction

I have that DVD.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A current favourite of mine is this euphemistic call for celebration, originally coined by the estimable Danny Baker; "let the sky be black with hat."

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    More than a couple lines, but this quote kind of blew my mind today. Just for fun, I'll let you try to guess the name of the well-known person quoted:

???In the pre-PC days, the creative department at Este??e Lauder had lots of press-type options. I played with a few layouts before settling on the cap D and J, offset as you see them now, with lowercase letters filling out the name.??? He was drawn to Helvetica because ???it???s not decorative in any way, and because of that, has a naked graphic and informational quality. It???s easy to take seriously.??? Although his major was film, he says, ???I took a design class at Harvard in the summer between my junior and senior years of high school. I enjoyed it, but I???m not sure it was training for what was to come.???

The answer is in this pretty cool record-related article...

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    batmon said:

This is the best thing I read this year.

I gotta sample that.