Pucho & the latin soul brothers

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Thanks for the support senor strider.. good stuff! You might want to check out Pucho's[/b] album 'Yaina'[/b] which we also reissued, especially the Rolling Stones cover of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.. heavy!

On a related note, I think one of the heaviest Latin albums is The Har You Percussion Group.[/b] Not only is the album insanely funky & will destroy any dancefloor, but the storyline is equally as amazing. Originally recorded in the late 1960s at the height of the Harlem Race Riots, an act called The HARYOU Act was intended to keep kids off the streets during the riots so gathered here were a group of kids that went on to record one of heaviest Latin albums of all time.

A few years back, Vice Magazine actually did a follow-up story w/ Montego Joe who helped organize the group & he went on to say that unfortunately, a number of the kids wound up in jail, on the streets, & saddenly a few even died from drugs. Crazy story though... Some quality records recommended though by other strutters so do check them all out!

wow......I own a Mike James Kirkland 's "Do it right" reissue by ubiquity so I can say I'm your customer yet

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I am one of the few people here that probably likes (Joe Bataan's) "disco" stuff better. A great voice.

His voice sounds strikingly similar to Jimmy Castor's. Not the badass voice that Jimmy used on "Troglodyte," but the romantic tone Jimmy used on ballads and softer material. "Party Life," from one of Jimmy's RCA albums, sounds exactly like Bataan. I can't say who influenced who - they both came out of NY roughly around the same time, so it was probably natural.

I know Jimmy Castor material........while his early stuff was sure latin influenced, I think later during the first half of 70's he losed it, to embrace the jazz-funk idiom

Not necessarily, IMO...it was still there, just buried under all that funk and hard rock. PHASE TWO and IT'S JUST BEGUN have timbales FOR DAYS.

• plug plug plug.

Better to pick up the reissue than try to get the original on ESP (yes, that ESP). Very, very very rare.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

El Chicano:

Don't fuck with the rest of their catalog though - not unless you like Latin rock which it doesn't sound like you do.

ummm. "Revolucion" is a hot ass LP. Do you not agree? But as for the rest of em, yeah, they're pretty intolerable.

man you guys are trippppppppppppppin... el chicano, malo, tierra, all classic EAST LA Joints, their version of sabor a mi is a classic for a reason, fuck it being rare or not shit is the rilla, also their new band latin legends is off the fuckin hook live, not to mention these cats helped put east los on the map...
    Viva Tirado
    Revoluci??n
    Celebration
    El Chicano
    Cinco
    The Best of Everything
    Pyramid 1976

i also think pucho's lp's are much better than mongo stuff, but thts imo, monogos covers get really old really fast & have that "white" tinge to em'

as for brown brothers of soul, aka rulie garcia, aka jonny chingas, you can find versions of cholo under all 3names, cholo is on 2 of jonny chingas's lp's
    peace out loco's

man you guys are trippppppppppppppin... el chicano, malo, tierra, all classic EAST LA Joints, their version of sabor a mi is a classic for a reason, fuck it being rare or not

I dunno, man...for me those three bands were only as good as their hits (and even then, I prefer the Intruders'"Together" to Tierra's).

I saw Malo at an outdoor festival three years ago...coulda been good except the guitarist sounded like he stepped off of a Robin Trower elpee, and that ain't a good thing. If that is classic East LA, I'm sticking with Thee Midniters!

i also think pucho's lp's are much better than mongo stuff, but thts imo, monogos covers get really old really fast & have that "white" tinge to em

The Columbia albums definitely do.

We've had this discussion before - I dig Mongo as long as he's recording for Fantasy/Battle/Riverside...but the Columbia records do have this "watered-down-for-white-folks" quality, like a funkier Perez Prado or something. I don't know what these crate diggers see in that phase of Mongo's career.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

i also think pucho's lp's are much better than mongo stuff, but thts imo, monogos covers get really old really fast & have that "white" tinge to em

We've had this discussion before - I dig Mongo as long as he's recording for Fantasy/Battle/Riverside...but the Columbia records do have this "watered-down-for-white-folks" quality, like a funkier Perez Prado or something. I don't know what these crate diggers see in that phase of Mongo's career.

Well, if you are judging just by the earliest Columbia stuff I can see where you are coming from, but the LPs I listed (Soul Bag/Stone Soul/Mongomania/Strung Out)would be highly sought after and hyped as "funky latin boogaloo" if they were not so common. I realize that they were attempting cross-over here, but "white" does not really sum up these LPs.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Thanks for the support senor strider.. good stuff! You might want to check out Pucho's[/b] album 'Yaina'[/b] which we also reissued, especially the Rolling Stones cover of 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.. heavy!

Is there vinyl of this reissue???

I dunno, man...for me those three bands were only as good as their hits (and even then, I prefer the Intruders'"Together" to Tierra's).
    their spanish version is unfuckwitable...

I saw Malo at an outdoor festival three years ago...coulda been good except the guitarist sounded like he stepped off of a Robin Trower elpee, and that ain't a good thing. If that is classic East LA, I'm sticking with Thee Midniters!
    i could def see that, considering i doubt it was CS's bro playin guitar anymore...
    it's like seeing war now, 1 og member... but a few months back i saw thee midniters w/ tierras horn section, was off the fuckin chain.... & willie was singing w/ them again...

Well, if you are judging just by the earliest Columbia stuff I can see where you are coming from, but the LPs I listed (Soul Bag/Stone Soul/Mongomania/Strung Out)would be highly sought after and hyped as "funky latin boogaloo" if they were not so common. I realize that they were attempting cross-over here, but "white" does not really sum up these LPs.
    to each his own dawg i respect your opinion, but beg to differ , i have all his stuff & it's very watered down imo, of course... he never really connected w/ the so cal chicano scene, where as joeB def did, w/ his ballads... LA is weird though, so im prolly just loco...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

to each his own dawg i respect your opinion, but beg to differ , i have all his stuff & it's very watered down imo, of course... he never really connected w/ the so cal chicano scene, where as joeB def did, w/ his ballads... LA is weird though, so im prolly just loco...

Joe Bataan and Mongo I see as being pretty distict entities...my original comment was aimed at the idea that Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers are the height of latin jazz funk boogaloo, when IMO, Mongo's stuff from the same time was more consistent AND sold in more numbers, and def worth seeking out if you dig Pucho.

And I am with you on Malo/WAR/El Chicano etc....not really in the same bag as the other latin stuff, but absolutely killer shit. Viva La Raza!

[quoteJoe Bataan and Mongo I see as being pretty distict entities...my original comment was aimed at the idea that Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers are the height of latin jazz funk boogaloo, when IMO, Mongo's stuff from the same time was more consistent AND sold in more numbers, and def worth seeking out if you dig Pucho.

And I am with you on Malo/WAR/El Chicano etc....not really in the same bag as the other latin stuff, but absolutely killer shit. Viva La Raza!
    well put

peace

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

i recently found an OG copy of this on right on! records. seems like it's pretty tough to find, i got lucky. the record is solid and highly recommended.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    not too tuff to find

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

i recently found an OG copy of this on right on! records. seems like it's pretty tough to find, i got lucky. the record is solid and highly recommended.

That's actually the only Pucho LP that I own. It's OK, but I'd rather listen to a Mongo LP at his height though. Check his "Live At Yankee Stadium" LP on Vaya. Shit is HOT! They had to stop the show for a bit because people were flowing out of their seats and onto the field.

Here's my review of Pucho's "Yaina" LP

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=P&page=5

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

hipster bastard!

and co-sign on the Chakachas record. But, then again, my taste in Latin is a bit "white bread"...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

This is my favotite Pucho album, you can hear his amazing version of Dyke's "you are my sunshine" bu clicking on the scan.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is my favotite Pucho album, you can hear his amazing version of Dyke's "you are my sunshime" bu clicking on the scan.

that laundry list of "rock genres" on the cover is pretty funny...Raga Rock! Jazz Rock! Folk Rock!

That record looks sick, tho - and the MP3 was dope...thanks for sharing.

i'd say "yaina" is more of a nice latin lp with some boogaloo and latin-soul elements...a very nice listen, but no funk jams. just great music. i like mongo too.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I saw someone mention Seguida in a thread awhile back. Does anyone know if "Love IS" is there first or second album?

Gotta love the back cover, electric conga?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    not too tuff to find

although technically that's not a Latin album...latin style, but recorded by a group of belgians, I forget their name. They even went so far as to hire a latin band to pose as them on tour. Good album though.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    not too tuff to find

although technically that's not a Latin album...latin style, but recorded by a group of belgians, I forget their name. They even went so far as to hire a latin band to pose as them on tour. Good album though.

I actually tried listening to this recently and "Un Rayo Del Sol" or whatever it's called was suprisingly hot. Missed that the first time around.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I actually tried listening to this recently and "Un Rayo Del Sol" or whatever it's called was suprisingly hot. Missed that the first time around.

Thats the only song other than the hit thats even worth a damn though, right?

I mean, Jungle Fever is one of the best common 45s out there, but based on the one time I heard it this album is real shitty

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Thats the only song other than the hit thats even worth a damn though

righteo.

^^
    the one in the top right corner is better.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Willie Bobo, Spanish Grease, Do What You Want to Do, Bobo Motion, Feelin' So Good, etc, etc.
    Just as good or better than Mongo's stuff and very similar to Pucho!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Willie Bobo, Spanish Grease, Do What You Want to Do, Bobo Motion, Feelin' So Good, etc, etc.
    Just as good or better than Mongo's stuff and very similar to Pucho!

Willie's cool with me, although he (like Mongo) also did a lot of jive pop covers.

since this thread is now just latin recommendations, i'd like to add:

Kako "live it up" lp. i lucked into an OG of this and it's amazing...and then i saw a reish at TSL so go cop it! great boogaloo...the title track i play out quite a bit and also the cover version of "cool jerk".

flash and the dynamics lp on Tico...killer nuyorican psych-fuzz-latin-soul. all that and more.

La Clave on Verve...latin-soul produced by lalo schifrin!

definately true, crap like his cover of Sunshine Superman is not listening material at all, but he had a few dope covers too, like Evil Ways, thats whats really good!

seconded...bobo's version of "evil ways" is really good, and his version of "ain't too proud to beg" is also hot. and of course his take on "always there" is amazing...12" is really rare and worth around $200.

flash and the dynamics lp on Tico...killer nuyorican psych-fuzz-latin-soul. all that and more.

huge cosign!!! this LP is fire and a super duty tough catch!!

a little easier to catch if you live in nyc...cost me $10 at the mercer book store!