Soul Strut 100: # 17 Placebo - Ball of Eyes

2»

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    cant believe some of the hate for this record.. its definatly not tepid euro funk. Sure its not worth 800$, but i can totally see myself spending a premium on any of the 3 albums. That said, I do prefer "1973" to this album and was really happy to find one recently.
    A good friend of mine rediscovered this group in the early 90s and had stacks of placebos sitting around.. those where the times. A lot of people in Belgium know Placebo or at least Marc Moulin so i cant believe their records are that scarce. Its not like a 200 run private pressing or something like that. i believe this is a case where musical value definatly has a lot to do with it, not just rarity. Has anyone a wild guess on pressing numbers?

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    inVrs said:
    cant believe some of the hate for this record.. its definatly not tepid euro funk. Sure its not worth 800$, but i can totally see myself spending a premium on any of the 3 albums. That said, I do prefer "1973" to this album and was really happy to find one recently.
    A good friend of mine rediscovered this group in the early 90s and had stacks of placebos sitting around.. those where the times. A lot of people in Belgium know Placebo or at least Marc Moulin so i cant believe their records are that scarce. Its not like a 200 run private pressing or something like that. i believe this is a case where musical value definatly has a lot to do with it, not just rarity. Has anyone a wild guess on pressing numbers?

Agreed. Junipher Greene - Friendship, which is a Norwegian grail and commands the same prices as the Placebo albums, sold 8000 copies when it was released. I think those records are rare relative to how many people who wants them. I feel the demand says something about the hype, but also the musical qualites of the record. It cant be just hype that makes so many people willing to pay that much for a record.

I`ve read that Ball of Eyes were printed in a run of 2000 or 4000. Don`t remember where I read it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'll just pretend that UGK-Ridin Dirty actually fills this position on the chart.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    LOL, You Soulstrut nerds crack me up!!

Placebo is one of the baddest jazz funk outfits of all time. You can keep all those damn Library records and shove em up yer arse.

BALL OF EYES is brilliant, but 1973 gets the nod from me.

- spidey

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

I gotta say, that is amazing! Never heard that before.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Word. Balek is my favourite Placebo cut although I haven't heard the third album.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    '73' all the way for me.

Followed by' Placebo' on Harvest, but naturally 'Ball Of Eyes' has the best LP jacket.
    I lived in Holland in the 90's so was luck enough to pick up all the Placebo albums, along with Marc Moulin's 'Sam Suffy' on original pressings.

Great records...