school me on Panama

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
I'm going to be designing and building a large recording studio in Panama City in August.
I plan on hanging around after the work is done for a few months.
Things I want to know about: finding records,eating vegetarian/seafood,nightlife,women,weed.
I will be hooked up with some folks that are local but do not know much about buying used records or the sacrament.
All input greatly appreciated,

Comments

• indyindy 58 Posts
    Yo Kala,

hook up with the Kuna Yala !

Holleur !

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    great city, you??ll def. have a good time if you stay there for some months, once u get used to the city, which at first can be a little joyless and crazy, you??ll then really enjoy. for records, well, just keep your eyes open, its getting harder and harder to find decent stuff there i guess, tough, people still pulling out crazy stuff at times...
    for seafood, best tip is to go directly to the fishmarket in the morning and buy your super-fresh tuna filets or whatever you??re up to, if you dont like cooking yourself, "Siete Mares" in Calle Guatemala may be the best address in town for supreme seafood. try the carpaccio de langostino for starter, super rico!
    the good ol panama red is superb stuff, just dont get fooled buying brrato in the touristy streets,
    and of course, as mentioned above, check out kuna territory.
    pz

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Yo K,
    You design recording studios?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'll prolly be there around the same time!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn dog, that sounds like an adventure

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tripledouble said:

For real.

Years ago Steely Dan flew my friend to Maui to build their studio there, I was pretty jealous.

• Horseleech said:
    tripledouble said:

For real.

Years ago Steely Dan flew my friend to Maui to build their studio there, I was pretty jealous.

damn, that's walter becker's studio!!! it's featured in some documentary on them.

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    BUMP

did you go? find any records? any advice? probably going in the summer / fall

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    amphibious said:
    BUMP

did you go? find any records? any advice? probably going in the summer / fall
    i went
    i was sequestered the entire time working
    i got out one weekend and did not waste time looking for records-did the beach and girls/dancing
    it was great but i had no extra time as i had another gig awaiting in nyc scheduled.
    can't relay much except that the people are really friendly and it's hot as hell in the summer
    I ate a lot of fruit ,coconuts and veggies/rice
    no weed,no records