Gloria Jones: Tainted Love (differences in pressing?)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
This is probably Northern 101 but can someone break down the different pressings of "Tainted Love" out there on Champion? What's considered OG? What's a contempo re-press?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ha ha, where do i start.
    give me a minute.

actually, there are so many variations & boots of this, just tell me what you're looking at & I'll let you know.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

I've got this purple pressing and it sounds like it's on some kind of acetate sheeeeeit.

Maybe that's just my one copy, but it really sounds hissy.

Mr_Lee_PHD said:

I've got this purple pressing and it sounds like it's on some kind of acetate sheeeeeit.

Maybe that's just my one copy, but it really sounds hissy.
    that is a bootleg

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Discogs seems to have a bit of info on this subject, dunno if it's correct though:

I've got this one:

http://www.discogs.com/Gloria-Jones-My-Bad-Boys-Comin-Home-Tainted-Love/release/3213601

Kinetic said:
    Discogs seems to have a bit of info on this subject, dunno if it's correct though:

I've got this one:

http://www.discogs.com/Gloria-Jones-My-Bad-Boys-Comin-Home-Tainted-Love/release/3213601
    also bootleg

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So what's "real"?

am at work so have had to cobble images from around the place
    original east coast vinyl
    promo
    booted on a red label
    stock

original west coast styrene
    promo

stock
    (matrix should read 56960 to distinguish from the 2 lookalike boots of this pressing, one is an identical styrene press to the original, pressed at the same plant but has a later matrix number, all vinyl presses with this label design are boots, there are at least half a dozen boots of this design with blue, turquoise, purple, red & the two blacks options around)
    second but still regarded as original original east coast vinyl
    promo

stock

Yet another original vinyl press
    stock

I have not seen a promo variation of this.

the only way to be really certain in the heat of the moment out digging is to go for a white label promo or a stock copy which isn't the west coast styrene design (unless you have your Monarch Pressing Plant matrix number game on lock).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Which pressing is the one without the bells?

Rockadelic said:
    Which pressing is the one without the bells?
    all of them, the one with bells (not pictured because I am still hoping to find one in the wild) is much rarer.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    also, if you want that info to work, you gotta read it in a thick british accent.

kris, you forgot to mention the 12". for real.

Dante said:
    also, if you want that info to work, you gotta read it in a thick british accent.

kris, you forgot to mention the 12". for real.

I refuse to recognize the 12" as a valid format, 7" or death.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    mannybolone said:

According to Manship, original pressings (whether vinyl or styrene) have black labels. Demo has white of course. The red and purple labels are boots.

This is the info he gives if you want an original issue. I???m not sure if the demo has been booted.

- original 1965 west coast press is styrene matrix reads; a circled MR stamp 14003 B then a quarter turn anti-clockwise a delta 56960
    - vinyl press original has the text ???distributed exclusively by Vee-Jay Records??? at the bottom of the label.

The one you're linkng to should be a boot.