Where are the Black Women on the SS 100?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yall dont use gates to keep animals out?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Great records, but I don't hear them being talked about in the same way as What's Going On, Curtis etc.

If that were the criteria, most of those records would not have made it in the top 100!!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    I wasn't around for the voting so I don't know how that worked. But I could see Aretha being left out on account of her being too mainstream with someone like Betty Davis making the list instead. Although I don't see Betty Davis anywhere. Dorothy Ashby is on the list though.

I don't really have too many issues with animals and bugs in the garden - not so far, anyway. The leafy greens have a hole in them here and there and nothing gets dug up. The apples, though, the squirrels and raccoon annihilate. The apple tree was there when I got the house and I am not an apple fan, so it works out fine!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I wasn't around for the voting so I don't know how that worked. But I could see Aretha being left out on account of her being too mainstream with someone like Betty Davis making the list instead. Although I don't see Betty Davis anywhere. Dorothy Ashby is on the list though.

Minnie Ripperton?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pcmr said:
    also latinos...

not one salsa/fania record will make the list, really
    harlem river drive is great and all but...

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    after a long battle with deer and rabbits getting into our veggie patch, i had a client of mine [who happens to be an organic grocer, born farmer] instruct that laying out human hair around your garden will keep most animals out. after a gave him a look, he told me it's not as crazy as it sounds. since i keep my own head shorn, i'll put together a bag of the clippings at the beginning of the season and spread them out around the garden bed. haven't had any intruders since, about 3 years now. i guess if you didn't mind looking a little strange you could go around a barbershop or hairdresser for their trimmings?

[GatorToof] hopefully that helps. [/GatorToof]

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Has a black woman ever once posted on the Strut?

HarveyCanal said:

can't remember her screen name, but she was around for an afternoon until someone said "you have nice lips in your avatar" and she was never seen again.

I first thought the thread was called Where are the Black Women on SS.

Feels weird taking stock, but:

I can't recall her handle, but not too long ago there was a gal who posted a whole bunch and then disappeared.

coselmed

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

can't remember her screen name, but she was around for an afternoon until someone said "you have nice lips in your avatar" and she was never seen again.

Someone must have pm'd her vis-a-vis elbow morphology.

If another ever shows up again, please wait at least a few days before asking her for a good chitlins recipe, mmkay?

vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I can't tell if you're joking.

bassie said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I can't tell if you're joking.

i really friggin wish i was.

What's the best way to travel from Virginia to Kansas City without anyone noticing?

Dammit, one of you fools asked to touch her hair, didn't you?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    after a long battle with deer and rabbits getting into our veggie patch, i had a client of mine [who happens to be an organic grocer, born farmer] instruct that laying out human hair around your garden will keep most animals out. after a gave him a look, he told me it's not as crazy as it sounds. since i keep my own head shorn, i'll put together a bag of the clippings at the beginning of the season and spread them out around the garden bed. haven't had any intruders since, about 3 years now. i guess if you didn't mind looking a little strange you could go around a barbershop or hairdresser for their trimmings?

This is an age-old technique, most barbers in suburban/rural areas will have had gardeners coming in asking for hair. Dog hair works also.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    FreakyTracy

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Definately spray from the jump though and not after the bugs show up, you will loose your whole crop by then.

Ah, that was probably our problem, then. We set up a small herb garden (parsley, thyme, dill, chives) in some old crates(!), and were keeping it in our kitchen's bay window at first, which was great, but then we started getting gnats, at which point we started with the Tomato & Vegetable spray, which mitigated things to some extent, but not enough. So we moved the crates outside, in hopes that ladybugs n' such would pick up the gnat-killing slack (and aphid-killing, as those little fuckers had also made an appearance), which helped a little bit, but didn't fully solve the problem. The thyme is probably a total loss at this point (though I'm not sure it's totally due to the bugs...we may not have pruned properly, as the stems turned all woody, which I guess you're supposed to head off with aggressive pruning? We're pretty new to this, obviously...). The parsley is doing OK, but I still see a few gnats in that crate, which I guess doesn't bode well.

All I wanted was to have some fresh herbs in the kitchen I could easily snip and use while cooking, dammit!

• Possum SlimPossum Slim 353 Posts
    Hoping for an appearance from Sylvia Striplin.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pcmr said:
    pcmr said:
    also latinos...

not one salsa/fania record will make the list, really

# 29 - Ray Barretto - Acid

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Double

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Young Gifted and Black is often talked about on soulstrut.
    Every time Pickwick says it sucks because she is trying to sound like Curtis, Donny.

Esther Phillips
    Monnette sudler
    Etta James
    Jackson Sisters
    Meditation Singers

Slugs eat my greens, but I have enough to share.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

uh oh

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Hoping for an appearance from Sylvia Striplin.

That would be sweet, but I don't remember her on the list. And for a white lady you could do worse than Annette Peacock .

Cajun pepper sprinkled liberally on the tomatoes , peppers, cucumbers etc... works for the big critters. Last yr we had a very fat groundhog living next door feasting on the clover (???) lawn my neighbour had planted. He developed a taste for our veg until he got a good snort of cajun. I laughed hard listening to the manic fits of sneezing coming from his den. Little bastard always seemed to know when stuff was ripe.

damms said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

uh oh
    uh oh is right, most if not all her posts were music-related.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    bassie said:
    damms said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

uh oh

She posted for one afternoon and used her real pic in her avatar?? Hmmm...seems fishy to me.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Are you guys talking about Coselmed? Wasn't she with Faux in real life? I thought she left 'cause they broke up? That was a looooooong time ago so I could have it all mixed up.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    no, y'all aren't talking about coselmed right? this was a woman who showed up a couple of months ago and thirsty dudes jumped on her as soon as she showed up. supposedly her real pic was her avatar and this led to speculation if she was a alias.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    bassie said:
    damms said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

uh oh
    but she did have a nice set of lips :(
    sorry I couldn't help but notice it
    and that's all I did
    no pms, nuthin'
    I don't think I even ever pmed anyone on here anyway. only Raj once for a bug in the mixes section.
    what was here name again ? if you read this, sorry for making you run away with my lips comment (if true). I promise I'll stick to music and non body parts talk
    can't say the same for the other guys though

back on topic, I think I had Lyn Collins and Alice Coltrane in my vote