Scion Scensorship

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
From HoustonSoReal.com:TEXAS, August 24, 2005. Austin based rapper Bavu Blakes was pleasantly surprised yesterday (Tuesday, August 23rd, 2005) when he got the call from Jay Cortez of Inform Ventures, LLC (info below) announcing that he had been selected from a pool of over 2,000 submissions as a Top Ten Finalist in the Scion: Nextup contest.According to Allhiphop.com, the ???Scion: Nextup contest is holding it's second annual emcee contest which gives unsigned emcees the chance to win a $50,000 marketing deal from Scion. Judges, DJ Premier, Green Lantern and Sean Cane will filter through the applicants to find the ten best. The online contest will then feature the top 10 underground artists original songs on the Scion: Nextup site for visitors to vote on. The emcee(s) with the highest number of votes will win. Prizes include $5000 in cash, the opportunity to perform at Scion events and a fully-produced music video for their winning song.???Bavu Blakes received an affidavit stating that he was in the Top Ten ??? chosen by DJ Premier, Green Lantern and Sean Cane, and that voting would commence, online, Monday August 29th on the website www.scionnextup.com. Today, he received a call, again from Jay Cortez, stating that he had been removed from the contest because of the political lyrics in his song ???Black Gold.??? The lyrics in question are:1. "Now Bush and bin Laden got so much they rotten" 2. "Texas home of the real death row" 3. "What'd we really go to Iraq fo?"In reference to line #2, Bavu Blakes was asked if he was referring to the Los Angeles based company Death Row Records. While we understand that any corporate entity has the right to include whoever it wants in their promotions and marketing strategies, we find it quite funny that a company so hell bent on using hip-hop to promote it???s products would have the audacity to censor an artist. Inform Ventures, the company working with Scion on this promotion has an interesting mission statement on it???s website www.inform-ventures.com:???Our environment is in transition. Information outlets have increased, forming a new infrastructure for the next generation. We create messages compatible with this new infrastructure then disseminate that message through our media and promotions network.???And they censor the words of the people who they are presumably trying to reach. Scion as a company has garnered a lot of praise and has also taken a lot of heat over the past couple of years for their co-opting of hip-hop music and culture to sell their cars. Does this action prove the nay sayers right? Find out for yourself. We feel as though Scion and Inform Ventures need to be taken to task for their decision. If they are so down with the streets and hip-hop culture then why are they trying to censor one of it???s strongest voices? Chuck D once said that hip-hop is the CNN of the streets. If Scion and Inform Ventures can???t handle that, maybe they should just leave it alone. We???d love to talk with you about this situation. Please feel free to call or email myself, Matt Sonzala at any time. Contact information for Bavu Blakes and Jay Cortez also follows.Matt Sonzala, Pushermania PromotionsEmail: matt at damagecontrolradio.orgBavu BlakesEmail: word at bavublakes.comJay CortezInform Ventures, LLC3361 Glendale Blvd., Suite 1Los Angeles, CA 90039Direct: 323.906.0728Fax: 323.906.0725Email: jay at inform-ventures.com

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Anyone really suprised about this?

• 1. "Now Bush and bin Laden got so much they rotten"

2. "Texas home of the real death row"

3. "What'd we really go to Iraq fo?"

Bad for business.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Anyone really suprised about this?

EXACTLY

These motherfuckers like rap when it suits their business.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Fuck 'em! Now I'll never buy a Scion now!

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    The funny part is that Scion apparently had a "militant/political" genre listing on their submission form (yes, in addition to "underground hip-hop". Everybody knows Scion sucks, but this makes it official. Bavu Blakes is dope BTW, and deserves to be heard.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    no amount of post-b-boy dick riding can make up for the fact that those cars are pieces of shit. pretty much this decade's Pinto.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    they'RE alright.

I dont like the whole college hip hop marketing shit. It would also seem like marketing suicide to their core audience to support some kind of conservative republican stance on the war.

...They're probably just scared of Suge Knight.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    i don't think i've met a single person who has dealt with scion and had an entirely smooth experience.

took them like 6 months to reimburse me. every week their "accounting dept was gone til next week". then when they finally did it was $90 short but i didn't want to go through the hassle again.

not to mention the fact that (from my understanding) they're putting local hip hop promoters in the ground.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

not to mention the fact that (from my understanding) they're putting local hip hop promoters in the ground.

please to speak on this...

before I left stl, scion and kool cigarettes were throwing the only dope hip-hop shows in town. otherwise tours just skipped us.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

please to speak on this...

before I left stl, scion and kool cigarettes were throwing the only dope hip-hop shows in town. otherwise tours just skipped us.

what i've been told is that by throwing tonnes of money around, local promoters can't even compete.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

From HoustonSoReal.com:

TEXAS, August 24, 2005. Austin based rapper Bavu Blakes was pleasantly surprised yesterday (Tuesday, August 23rd, 2005) when he got the call from Jay Cortez of Inform Ventures, LLC (info below) announcing that he had been selected from a pool of over 2,000 submissions as a Top Ten Finalist in the Scion: Nextup contest.

According to Allhiphop.com, the ???Scion: Nextup contest is holding it's second annual emcee contest which gives unsigned emcees the chance to win a $50,000 marketing deal from Scion. Judges, DJ Premier, Green Lantern and Sean Cane will filter through the applicants to find the ten best. The online contest will then feature the top 10 underground artists original songs on the Scion: Nextup site for visitors to vote on. The emcee(s) with the highest number of votes will win. Prizes include $5000 in cash, the opportunity to perform at Scion events and a fully-produced music video for their winning song.???

Bavu Blakes received an affidavit stating that he was in the Top Ten ??? chosen by DJ Premier, Green Lantern and Sean Cane, and that voting would commence, online, Monday August 29th on the website www.scionnextup.com.

Today, he received a call, again from Jay Cortez, stating that he had been removed from the contest because of the political lyrics in his song ???Black Gold.??? The lyrics in question are:

1. "Now Bush and bin Laden got so much they rotten"
    2. "Texas home of the real death row"
    3. "What'd we really go to Iraq fo?"

In reference to line #2, Bavu Blakes was asked if he was referring to the Los Angeles based company Death Row Records.

While we understand that any corporate entity has the right to include whoever it wants in their promotions and marketing strategies, we find it quite funny that a company so hell bent on using hip-hop to promote it???s products would have the audacity to censor an artist.

Inform Ventures, the company working with Scion on this promotion has an interesting mission statement on it???s website www.inform-ventures.com:

???Our environment is in transition. Information outlets have increased, forming a new infrastructure for the next generation. We create messages compatible with this new infrastructure then disseminate that message through our media and promotions network.???

And they censor the words of the people who they are presumably trying to reach.

Scion as a company has garnered a lot of praise and has also taken a lot of heat over the past couple of years for their co-opting of hip-hop music and culture to sell their cars. Does this action prove the nay sayers right? Find out for yourself. We feel as though Scion and Inform Ventures need to be taken to task for their decision. If they are so down with the streets and hip-hop culture then why are they trying to censor one of it???s strongest voices?

Chuck D once said that hip-hop is the CNN of the streets. If Scion and Inform Ventures can???t handle that, maybe they should just leave it alone.

We???d love to talk with you about this situation. Please feel free to call or email myself, Matt Sonzala at any time. Contact information for Bavu Blakes and Jay Cortez also follows.

Matt Sonzala, Pushermania Promotions
    Email: matt at damagecontrolradio.org

Bavu Blakes
    Email: word at bavublakes.com

Jay Cortez
    Inform Ventures, LLC
    3361 Glendale Blvd., Suite 1
    Los Angeles, CA 90039
    Direct: 323.906.0728
    Fax: 323.906.0725
    Email: jay at inform-ventures.com

This is the most exploitative kind of bullshit. Bavu for President, fuck a

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Ah that's sad. think its time Scion really understood what their role is in this world and learned to play their position...

• not to mention the fact that (from my understanding) they're putting local hip hop promoters in the ground.

naw dog. actually they're doing the opposite. they've tossed hundreds of dollars (per show) to promotor homies all the time. I know a couple of deejays have benefited from them as well.

Both parties know exactly whats going on and who benefits from what.

P.S.

Bavu Blakes is fucking dope. Does he have any vinyl out?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

P.S.

I think he only has CDs.

http://www.bavublakes.com/
    http://www.w4wmusic.com/store/

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

P.S.

iirc dude turned up on a k-otix or a headcrak 12" about three years ago.

but I could be entirely wrong.

• Anyone really suprised about this?

• some of bavu's vinyl...

vinyl
    [dropping sept 2005]
    11.hydroponic soundsystem
    choice cuts vol 2
    + 50k, live from b-boy city
    swedish brandy (hydro "mixtape mentality" album coming
    soon)

10.bavu blakes
    nobody leavin
    + who knows, play the role liquid soul, play the role
    statewide
    nataural high
    __
    [summer 05]
    9. deloach
    labor of luv feat. bavu blakes, fetus
    + s1 remix, oneself remix
    counterflow

8.symbolyc one & illmind
    art of one mind (2x vinyl – UK only)
    + we three kings
    bbe

7.hydroponic sound system
    choice cuts vol 1
    + play the role (bzzz mix), distractions ft. myone/sfp
    swedish brandy
    __
    [04]
    6.strange fruit project
    eternally yours
    + remember the face
    black son

5.hydro
    hydro soundclash
    + play the role (bzzz mix)
    alternate take

4.hydro
    delrium/disconnect 7"
    alternate take
    __
    [02]
    3.hydro
    synthesis ep
    + play the role (orig)
    bomb hip hop
    __
    [01]
    2.nicknack
    re:construction
    + real life
    crowd control
    __
    [00]
    1.soundscape
    listeners
    + die in your sleep, truth ft. poetree
    crowd control

• word word. acutally i have checked that hydro sound systemzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz.

yaddameans?

Bomb Hip-Hop put out some cd he did and it was dope. I think it was about 3 years ago. I'll check that Strange Fruit joint with Bavu, I've liked what I've heard those dudes do.

• Bavu's been dope for almost 15 years now. I used to rhyme with him all the time (in a previous life).