Lauryn Hill sentenced to 3 months county jail for tax evasion...

edited May 2013 in Strut Central
"and has been ordered to undergo counselling to address her ???conspiracy theory??? mindset when it comes to her thoughts on the music industry."

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/09/judge-orders-lauryn-hill-to-undergo-counseling-over-claims-of-music-industry-exploitation/

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    rich musicians talmbout "they're out to get me!!!"

GTFOHWTBS.

no one asked you to get into this biz; you coulda gotten a normal job like 99% of us.

go home and polish your Grammys you asshat.*

*disregard this rant if the woman has legit mental health issues, in which case I'm an insensitive jerk and I hope she gets better.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Fresh Blueberry Pankakes said:
    "and has been ordered to undergo counselling to address her ???conspiracy theory??? mindset when it comes to her thoughts on the music industry."

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/09/judge-orders-lauryn-hill-to-undergo-counseling-over-claims-of-music-industry-exploitation/

Now that's messed up. She's not all wrong about the music industry. It's a pretty screwed up world that exploits artists. I'm also a little concerned that anyone would be force to go to therapy to change their beliefs. Who knows though, it could be media spin. The judge might just be offering general therapy because she talks about being depressed and isolated.

She's should have paid her taxes, but she's also entitled to her beliefs.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    volumen said:

Now that's messed up. She's not all wrong about the music industry. It's a pretty screwed up world that exploits artists. I'm also a little concerned that anyone would be force to go to therapy to change their beliefs. Who knows though, it could be media spin. The judge might just be offering general therapy because she talks about being depressed and isolated.

Mental health evaluations and treatment (if the evaluator thinks it is needed) as a required component of probation is not uncommon at all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do the time and drop an album.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    volumen said:

Mental health evaluations and treatment (if the evaluator thinks it is needed) as a required component of probation is not uncommon at all.

I understand that, but it's one thing to say she needs help because she's depressed and isolated it's a whole different thing for the courts to start mandating therapy to people who they deem "conspiracy theorist". That's a very scary road. Especially when she is basically right that the music industry is propped up to make the company owners ultra wealthy via the work of the artists. Just because she made a lot of money doesn't mean she doesn't have a point. A lot of artist have come out over the years saying the same thing and going as far as to leave the big companies because of the perceived exploitation.

Here's an article that just came out about people who question authority being diagnosed as mentally ill. I think the NRA is mentally ill and completely out of touch with the public and public safety for the benefit of gun manufactures. They literately profit from death and it doesn't bother them one bit. A belief held by a large number of citizens. Will a court rule in our favor and send the NRA executives to compassion therapy?

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/02/why-anti-authoritarians-are-diagnosed-as-mentally-ill/

volumen said:

I understand that, but it's one thing to say she needs help because she's depressed and isolated it's a whole different thing for the courts to start mandating therapy to people who they deem "conspiracy theorist". That's a very scary road. Especially when she is basically right that the music industry is propped up to make the company owners ultra wealthy via the work of the artists. Just because she made a lot of money doesn't mean she doesn't have a point. A lot of artist have come out over the years saying the same thing and going as far as to leave the big companies because of the perceived exploitation.

Here's an article that just came out about people who question authority being diagnosed as mentally ill. I think the NRA is mentally ill and completely out of touch with the public and public safety for the benefit of gun manufactures. They literately profit from death and it doesn't bother them one bit. A belief held by a large number of citizens. Will a court rule in our favor and send the NRA executives to compassion therapy?

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/02/why-anti-authoritarians-are-diagnosed-as-mentally-ill/

I hear you. That's a good article, too.

However, even though I'm not privy to all the facts of this case, I doubt that she was ordered to get MH counseling simply due to her invoking industry rule #4080.

If I recall, Ms. Hill has a history of possible mental or emotional issues.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

If I recall, Ms. Hill has a history of possible mental or emotional issues.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I see it from the other side - perhaps her mental health issues need addressing in order to give her back some quality of life. They would not be prescribing such treatment solely on the basis that she feels the music industry is a big scam. It's the whole paranoid mindset they would hope to effect.

I heard she lost the plot after splitting with that Marley dude (I can't remember which one - Bob himself would struggle). Nervous breakdown. Mad hair. Erratic performances. No-one allowed to make eye-contact with her backstage. No white folks as security. No white folks [period]. Sad.

These are very dark times for anyone struggling with their own demons and such episodes have seen off many talents in The Biz. I would never scoff at anyone with a mental issue - that is absolutely not my style - thus I am not surprised that during her "Tired and emotional" phase, paying taxes to Da Man wasn't #1 on her to-do list.

I would have thought that fam (she's from a pretty middle-class background IIRC) or proper management would have mitigated these issues on her behalf but this obviously hasn't happened.

A custodial sentence seems harsh in the circumstances, but tax evasion is apparently a crime beyond murder. Unless you're a banker.

I hope the hard reset does her good and she gets back to singing her ass off.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I struggled not to take it here and am ready for the pshaws and such and admittedly haven't followed her movements/behaviours that closely - but why do her actions deem her mentally unstable and Kanye's behaviour is just him acting out (his artistic temperament)?

Hill may very well have real issues to work through, but I imagine a lot of us wouldn't look (or act) too fit if we were being dissected in the spotlight during hard stages in our lives. I feel like folks are too ready to call "difficult" women crazy.

Yea, I know...yaaaaawwwwnnnnnn.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Clearly Tim Lambesis and his fans have been listening to too much rap.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Free Lauryn Hill!

She doesn't need court-ordered counseling nor a jail sentence. She just needs to be left alone.

HarveyCanal said:
    Free Lauryn Hill!

She doesn't need court-ordered counseling nor a jail sentence. She just needs to be left alone.

Could have all been avoided had she paid her taxes like (mostly) everybody else.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Free Lauryn Hill!

Could have all been avoided had she paid her taxes like (mostly) everybody else.

Whatever, people make mistakes. She's already paid a million in back taxes and penalties. That shoulda took care of it, but they are making an example of her. She's no criminal, just leave her be.

HarveyCanal said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Free Lauryn Hill!

Whatever, people make mistakes. She's already paid a million in back taxes and penalties. That shoulda took care of it, but they are making an example of her. She's no criminal, just leave her be.

She owed more than what she paid back in back taxes and penalties, so paying a million back shouldn't have taken care of it. And, it didn't.

I also don't think willfully not paying your due as a citizen is a "mistake".

And she is a criminal; by any definition of the word. You get convicted of a crime, you're a criminal. Period.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I worked on a doc about a Bob Marley tribute concert a while back, and the director was pretty close to the Marleys. When we were looking through footage of Lauryn Hill performing the director said: "Poor Lauryn, she's very talented but she's coo-coo for cocoa puffs." Granted, the director was also "coo-coo for cocoa puffs," but based on the footage Lauryn Hill didn't look like she was all there at the time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/05/06/lauryn-hill-jail-taxes/2139485/

"Hill received more than $1.8 million in income during 2005, 2006 and 2007 but didn't file tax returns during that time. Although her guilty plea specifically related to that three-year period, Fishman said her sentence also took into account additional income and tax losses for 2008 and 2009, when she similarly failed to file tax returns. The sentence also addressed overdue New Jersey state taxes."

Failing to file a return for 5 consecutive years is not a mistake.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I worked for a while for a mental health department. Un-scrambling scrambled eggs ain't no joke. When people are mentally ill, you would be surprised at the mistakes they make.

Not paying tax is laughable.

I have a friend who was in a coma for a long time. He didn't pay tax during this time, strangely enough.

"Lock him up and throw away the key."

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Free Lauryn Hill!

They aren't making am example of her, if anything she got off light. She had plenty of chances to maker this right before and blew it off each time. All she had to do is hire an accountant like all the other millionaires do. Pretty sure the Marley estate has a team of them.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    her lawyer couldn't convince the courts that she had a good enough excuse to not pay taxes in order to prevent going to the sneezer.

shouldn't that in itself prove that this is mostly negligence and not illness?

J i m s t e r said:
    I worked for a while for a mental health department. Un-scrambling scrambled eggs ain't no joke. When people are mentally ill, you would be surprised at the mistakes they make.

Not paying tax is laughable.

I have a friend who was in a coma for a long time. He didn't pay tax during this time, strangely enough.

"Lock him up and throw away the key."

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Ms. Hill was far from being in a coma, though.