Advice For Playing Off Center 45s

Moyamoya4201Moyamoya4201 65 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I got my hands on a nice 45 only to find out it has a pressing defect where the groove is off center. Any advice for having it play without the needle dancing around and causing a distorted sound, or is this a lost cause? Thanks in advance!
-Ginz

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    My method is first to play the 45 w/o center adapter. this allows you to sort of tweak the positioning until you get it to align straight. Watch the edges of the play-grooves to make sure they're not wobbling in any direction still. Then, stop the record player, but leave the 45 where it is on the platter. Put your 45 adapter in the center, and with a pen or pencil trace on the label where the adapter overlaps. Next time you want to play it, you can use the arc you just marked to help you quickly align the 45

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    I put it on the platter without an adapter and then, with the tonearm in the raised position, bring the tonearm in so the the edge of the cartridge somewhat lines up with the first groove and my line of sight as it spins (the needle is not on the record). Then, I gently nudge the record around until I can see that the first groove stays exactly in line with the cartridge edge in my line of sight as it spins. The record should play perfectly now, and the spindle is in the exact center of the grooves.

Then, I put a normal sized Post-it over the hole and cut a small hole in it right over the spindle. Leave the Post-it on the record and use it as the adapter from now on.

This technique has the added bonus of leaving no permanent marks on your record. However, if you plan on scratching the record heavily, obviously this won't work.

• Thank you both for the help! Lining the raised tonearm up with the first groove on the 45 was especially key in having the record play perfectly. Many thanks

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Glad you have worked out a suitable method.

The pointer finger and thumb in the 45 center hole and gently adjusting the 45 while it plays works.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    How about off-centered lp's tho? Any tips on them? Thx

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    leon said:
    How about off-centered lp's tho? Any tips on them? Thx

You would have to drill a hole in the true center of the grooves, but that would be more difficult to find.