The Talking Heads Appreciation Thread

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
Can't stop playing this album.... sooo good:

Weird to hear how much today's indie bands sound like these guys.

Post Talking Heads tunes, you feel...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Lately, this one...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Saw them quite a few times from '75-'78

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I can't say I celebrate the entire discography, but the large band they had with Bernie Worrell, Adrian Belew and thems was amazing. This concert from Rome is on youtube in full and it's awesome, they had a hell of a groove going. Tina Weymouth was cute too...

• asstro said:
    I can't say I celebrate the entire discography, but the large band they had with Bernie Worrell, Adrian Belew and thems was amazing. This concert from Rome is on youtube in full and it's awesome, they had a hell of a groove going. Tina Weymouth was cute too...

Best concert ever IMO.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    it's crazy how much my dislike of current era David Byrne clouds my judgement of The Talking Heads, to the point that I've never given them a proper chance despite liking what I hear.

True Stories is a pretty cool movie though, I'll give him that.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    The CBS demos when they were a trio are so good, especially that version of Book I Read.

When i moved into my current place last year and was unpacking, I came across my woodbox vaporizor that I forgot I had and decided to try it out again for the first time in 3 years. What ended up happening was that I was not able to move off of my floor for over 45 minutes. Luckily I had started this album prior to my bad decision and was able to really, really, really enjoy it to the point that i was borderline tripping

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

I grew up with the Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club. My mom was a huge fan and was in some similar sounding bands. After years of searching, she recently found an old 45 of her band in the attic... I'll have to post a rip. Very Talking Heads ish.

Only somewhat related, but I like to remind all the SF hipsters that look at me funny because I wear collared shirts that I'm OG Mission (okay, not really)... I was conceived in a one bedroom apartment on Valencia and 24th where my mom lived with 6 other punk rockers. Her band would play this spot Mabuhay Gardens that was pretty legendary at that time. Everyone was broke, so with the $5 entry fee you'd get a 6 pack of beer and a loaf of bread. I love hearing stories about SF back then because it totally sucks now. Every time I hear the Talking Heads or Tom Tom Club, I immediately think of my mom as a 20 year old punk with purple hair

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    And the name of your mom's band was?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    first talking heads track I ever heard, was burning down the house, I remember my brother playing the record when I was younger, I used to hit 45 so I could hear them sound like the chipmunks...still such a dope track, imho

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I still rock out to the Stop Making Sense LP when I'm entertaining at the pad.

Great band.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    Great band---I'm most fond of the "Remain in Light" and "Fear of Music" era, when the Afrobeat influences more were prominent.

This isn't a Talking Heads album, but I love this album:
    Attached files

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Can't stop playing this album.... sooo good:

Weird to hear how much today's indie bands sound like these guys.

By far my favorite album.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Love hearing "Once In A Lifetime" every now and then.

Great song.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    One of my favourite bands of all time. Tina Weymouth is a true musical hero(ine) of mine, and she and Chris Frantz are one of the all-time great rhythm sections. About six months back, a friend told me she was going to interview them, and I mentioned that I'd once described them as "the Duck Dunn and Al Jackson Jr. of art-rock" (in a thread on here, I think). She told them this during the interview, and they said, "Wow, that's a really cool comparison!", so that pretty much made my day.

The first five studio albums are magnificent, with at least two of them - Fear Of Music and Remain In Light - being absolute landmark records of the period. The last three have some great songs between them, but for me they suffer from being too Byrne-dominated overall. I'm not someone who's ever really subscribed to the idea that they were Byrne's band (or Byrne/Eno's, for that matter). Their most enduring innovations came from the rhythm section, and for the best of his solo/extra-curricular work while the band was still active, it was often the players Byrne brought in that were responsible for a lot of the music's dynamism. Generally, his solo stuff has followed a pattern of being interesting in a beard-strokey kind of way rather than in a "wow, that new David Byrne record is really something else" kind of way. Equally, great as things like Genius Of Love and, in fact, quite a bit of the Tom Tom Club material is, they're just as much proof that Talking Heads as a band were greater than the sum of their individual parts.

• Love them.

I'd also add David Byrne's "The Catherine Wheel" album/soundtrack to any list of albums worth checking if you like Talking Heads. Shades of "Remain In Light" and songs that would later appear in "Stop Making Sense". It always seems to get overlooked in favour of his Brian Eno collabaration (reasonably enough, I suppose, since Eno is more likely to draw people's attention than some art/dance album).

As for Talking Heads, I used to like slipping "Pull Up The Roots" or "Girlfriend is Better" into more house-y sets.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    muro rocking dbl 45's of the once in a lifetime intro had apt going nuts a few years ago

• The version of Psycho Killer from Stop making Sense would somehow always get played at our regular bar in college. Many a good times were had to the sound of the Talking Heads. Their music has aged well through the years, they still sound so fresh and earnest.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Cool Simon Reynolds article about Brian Eno's work with Talking Heads:
    Taking Manhattan (By Strategy)

• they used to play "once in a lifetime" in the minutes leading up to the coming attractions at the cinema near my house growing up. it was about a 10 minute walk from my house and i went to about 3-5 movies a week. considering my voracious appetite for movies early on, and the ability to sweet talk shorties manning the ticket taker station, i must have heard it damn near 200 times. being a child of the early 80s, i didn't understand the... weight.... of what the talking heads were, and it would be a good couple of years until i got to find out for myself that the "movie song" band had an output that would help form my musical taste forever.

it's the talking heads song that you're not supposed to love, but it's the one that means the most to me.