PRO TOOLS question (PR)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So I'm trying to bring one section (track) down in volume and so I'm highlighting the entire section, going up to the menu bar, selecting EQ - OTHER - GAIN, and then when the little window with the processor opens up, I'm dragging the fader to the left until it reads -3.0 dcb, and then hitting PROCESS.This was working for me all day yesterday, but today, whenever I do this, it goes through the motions of "processing" but there is no change in volume on the track.What the hell? Anyone know what might be doing this? Anything I'm doing wrong? ?????

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Wouldn't it be easier to just use the level fader for that track to turn it up or down?

• So I'm trying to bring one section (track) down in volume and so I'm highlighting the entire section, going up to the menu bar, selecting EQ - OTHER - GAIN, and then when the little window with the processor opens up, I'm dragging the fader to the left until it reads -3.0 dcb, and then hitting PROCESS.

This was working for me all day yesterday, but today, whenever I do this, it goes through the motions of "processing" but there is no change in volume on the track.

What the hell? Anyone know what might be doing this? Anything I'm doing wrong?

?????

why aren't you using the volume control with the [ guy or the hand pointer? i have always been told that unless you are normalizing or putting a positive gain on a track you should deal with smaller volume changes with the volume setting for the track. maybe that is just the way i do things. to each his own. one thing you gotta make sure is when go to process the section you need to select the use in section or use in playlist in the top section of the plugin box. hope this helps. but using the volume function for a track gives you total functionality like writing in longer fadeouts or clicks in a track or something. sorry if this is hard to understand.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    So I'm trying to bring one section (track) down in volume and so I'm highlighting the entire section, going up to the menu bar, selecting EQ - OTHER - GAIN, and then when the little window with the processor opens up, I'm dragging the fader to the left until it reads -3.0 dcb, and then hitting PROCESS.

This was working for me all day yesterday, but today, whenever I do this, it goes through the motions of "processing" but there is no change in volume on the track.

What the hell? Anyone know what might be doing this? Anything I'm doing wrong?

?????
    cosmo,

on the left of the track in your edit window, you'll see a pulldown that says waveform. click on it and pull it down to "volume". then you can use the hand tool to add points that will automate the volume, so that you can adjust it without altering the source file.

call me if you have any questions.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Eureka!

Thanks for the help, dudes, as well as being patient with me.

YAOMING?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    AhaHAHH!!!aHHAHhahh!!

Another Pro-Tools funny ?uestion.

It's all fun to read those kinda posts.

Peace

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So funny...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    So sorry
    lol

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah I'm just saying that the "joke" flew over my head.

However, that picture of the monkey is funny. As is this:

and this

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    So funny...

You know what? Like my man Bruce says "read the manual".
    Aahh!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• So funny...

Aahh!!

does it come with one?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    So funny...

Aahh!!

does it come with one?

Do you really want me to answer...?
    Aahah!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Yo! check out the "support" section
    right > HERE

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    wow! they have a forum too!?

• So funny...

Aahh!!

does it come with one?

Aahah!!

yeah they have a site that is searchable but there isn't a straight up manual, is there? believe me i would have loved to made that a weekend read a long time ago.
    there are also some books on pro tools i have one that covers alot of angles. just got a waves plug in cd rom tutorial which will hopefully help out with the plethora of acquired plugins.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So funny...

Aahh!!

does it come with one?

Aahah!!

yeah they have a site that is searchable but there isn't a straight up manual, is there? believe me i would have loved to made that a weekend read a long time ago.
    there are also some books on pro tools i have one that covers alot of angles. just got a waves plug in cd rom tutorial which will hopefully help out with the plethora of acquired plugins.

every tdm system I've installed has come with a manual.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I hear you, but plug-ins ain't Pro-tools.
    Pro-tools is just a RECORDER, you see?
    Well, lemme see what I can find about that manual...
    Pz

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    there are also some books on pro tools i have one that covers alot of angles.

Which one is it?

I've just find that one REFERENCE GUIDE

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    hey Cosmo

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Good site and loads of notes/articles to read:

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=%2Fsearch&Subject=63

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey Day.

Fuck a manual.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone know where i can get a cheap mbox?

• just use the mix faders.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    I highly recommend just getting an M-Audio card and using Pro Tools M-Powered. If you have a desktop computer, you can get a soundcard for as low as $80, then you just have to pay for software.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProToolsMPowered-main.html

• I didn't read the thread, SORRY!!!

I just hit the rectangle that says "waveform" till it says volume. A line appears across the track that represents the volume. This can me automated using the "little hand" (grabber) and the chop tool. Or you could hit auto write and automate it live with the volume fader.

Hope that wasn't a waste of type time.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I highly recommend just getting an M-Audio card and using Pro Tools M-Powered. If you have a desktop computer, you can get a soundcard for as low as $80, then you just have to pay for software.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProToolsMPowered-main.html
    I only have a laptop (with no Firewire)