Storm Thorgerson record covers

ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
just realized I don't think I have any actual records with art made by him. The Pink Floyds and Led Zeppelins and whatnot I had on cd and sold them off recently. Anyone have any records with his trippy covers, beyond his more famous ones?

also, here's a Dust & Grooves interview with a guy who has been doing a doc on him:
http://www.dustandgrooves.com/roddy-bogawa-collector-of-storm-thorgeston-cover-art/

and am I the only one who thought he had died 10-15 years ago??

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

NEVER SAY DIE by Black Sabbath. I was totally obsessed with this record cover when I was a teenager. The pilots look like two colorful bugs or some H.R. Giger-like creatures. It was only buying the record again a year ago that I noticed there are actually pencil drawings hidden in the sky ??? World War II pilots and a UFO. I told Storm I had never seen this before and he smiled ??? after 35 years I got it??????Never Say Die??????Flight 19???the Bermuda Triangle???

i had no idea this documentary was in the works until yesterday but i'm very excited about it now. I LOVE those album covers

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    I recognized that cover when I read the article!

I have a lot of respect for the people who actually did work like that, as opposed to the excessive photoshopping that goes on today. I'd love to learn more about how he made a lot of those, but usually that doesn't make for a very compelling film. Hopefully there's some cool stories in there though...

b/w

is an LP with a Storm Thorgerson cover considered crust just by default?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The Hipgnosis team did some great stuff but were also responsible for some real crud n junk.

Awful UFO cover of girl being molested in shower - Force It iirc.
    Wings - Venus and Mars.
    Shit 10cc sleeves.
    That Cortinas 45 with dude puking.

But the inflatable pig over Battersea power station was a genius moment, it has to be said.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I actually caught the doc a few weeks ago and thought it was really well done. The footage and stories of some of the photo shoots is just facemelt and there's some never before seen footage of Floyd and Paul McCartney in there. For someone who pretty much relies on photoshop these days I have the utmost respect for what storm has accomplished and continues to do today.

maru said:
    I actually caught the doc a few weeks ago and thought it was really well done. The footage and stories of some of the photo shoots is just facemelt and there's some never before seen footage of Floyd and Paul McCartney in there. For someone who pretty much relies on photoshop these days I have the utmost respect for what storm has accomplished and continues to do today.

I didn't realize this documentary was already out. Where have you guys seen it? I couldn't find any info on a dvd or it playing anywhere

I think the doc screened at SXSW. I haven't seen anything for it either, other than the D&G interview.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    edith head said:
    maru said:

I didn't realize this documentary was already out. Where have you guys seen it? I couldn't find any info on a dvd or it playing anywhere

I don't think it's officially out. I happened to catch it at the noise pop festival in sf. There might be some info about a proper release date on roddys website.

maru said:
    edith head said:
    maru said:

I don't think it's officially out. I happened to catch it at the noise pop festival in sf. There might be some info about a proper release date on roddys website.

awww crud. i live in SF and completely missed this.

maru said:

yeah, I started this thread as an informal RIP thread, since RIP'ing had been RIP'ed on the strut.